Canadian Knife Laws

="HJK, post: 18103554, member: 106863"]There have been many threads on Canadian knife laws over the years, some of them quite technical and several authored by me. It is great to examine the law here and discuss it but I respectfully caution you against relying on any of it because it is nice conversation but not legal advice.

I cannot imagine any scenario where the doc that I saw was not real. Furthermore if it had not been located on one of the '.gc.ca' web sites I would not have wasted 2 hours of my time trying to interpret it. I do not think it would have been the RCMP web site, as the law had not been passed. The only other possibility that I can think of is that it was the CBSA web site. Below the section on POSSESSING a prohibited weapon, was a new one that addressed ACQUIRING one. If the doc was intended exclusively for the use of CBSA, then I would expect that the subtitle would have included the word 'Import' and not the far more general term 'Acquire'. Based on comments that I'd seen, and the way the doc was written, my assumption was that this text would become part of the Canadian Criminal Code, if not in May then soon after.

I only collect knives and I have zero expert knowledge to share with anyone. It's now May 20th and I have been unable to find mention of any such legislation on the .gc.ca web sites. I find this is a little odd. I started this thread, only because I was wondering if anyone else had any better knowledge of this situation.

Well, keep looking as you do, and let us know if something does come up. Otherwise, get a feel for the forums. You may have some stuff to contribute but you will find that foot you started off on isn't welcomed that much. We can talk about this stuff without getting political.

I've recently read the relevant Canadian law and my best guess is that very few of the members of Parliament who voted for it have given the issue a second of thought. Just as in the U.S.A. most of our new legislation is buried in large omnibus bills. If any particular issue receives little public attention, then the special interests who worked on preparing the legislation can be quite certain that it will be passed. I posted my initial Comment with the hope that these issues would attract more attention from the general public.
I believe that this legislation was passed for no reason other than the fact that statistics show that there has been a recent increase in knife related crime in Canada. Our CDN Constitution, like that of the U.S.A., is based on Common Law. The intent of that is that the history of human experience must be considered in any legislation. Last week's statistics tell us very little about the history of anything. I'll repeat what I said above … It seems to me that very, very few of those who voted for these new Canadian knife laws, gave any thought to the relevant issues. If safety of the general public is important to them, then why did they pass our new pot laws? If safety of the general public is important to them, then why are they not paying more attention to the issue of distracted driving? Did our legislators hope that no one would pay any attention to the new knife laws, or give the related issues much thought? If they had, then don't you think that the matter of Scary-Sharp knifes, made from new super metals, should have received some mention?
P.S. If anyone were to break into my home, then the greatest concern for them would be the Gurkha Kukri machete and the ornamental Damascus axe sitting close to the front door.
If you want a simple answer.

They don' t make any money off of knife laws or distracted driving. It all boils down to $$$$.

If you want a simple answer.

They don' t make any money off of knife laws or distracted driving. It all boils down to $$$$.

When the price of driverless cars goes down, we'll be able to toss axes (and legal knives) at the politicians without stopping to shake hands. Don't be concerned by this remark,... it's just the voices in my head talking to me again.

When the price of driverless cars goes down, we'll be able to toss axes (and legal knives) at the politicians without stopping to shake hands. Don't be concerned by this remark,... it's just the voices in my head talking to me again.
For sure

I did not say that Pierre Trudeau was a genius, or deserving of unreserved trust. He was a constitutional lawyer who was elected as the PM of Canada. From that alone it can be very safely assumed that he was very intelligent and he did gain the trust of Canadians through several elections.

Justine Trudeau is not as smart as his father was. He may possess a good deal of personal integrity, but I still distrust him. It doesn't seem to me that he's particularly stable and I have the impression that he has odd opinions on a variety of subjects. In my opinion Justine is not as smart or as deserving of trust as his father, who had deficiencies of his own.

Wandering really close to Political territory again gents, I'd suggest dropping the topic before that happens.

Reactions: HJK
Wandering really close to Political territory again gents, I'd suggest dropping the topic before that happens.
Well OK fair enough,... but my strong impression is that Pierre probably owned a few knives and Justine doesn't have any, not even fixed blades.

Say what you want. I'm just trying to help you get the vibe of the place.
I understand that. I read through the full 7 pages of the other thread. I care very little about politics, but I do care very much about the things that politicians can do with knife laws. I don't think they're stupid, but my guess is that the matter of our new Canadian knife laws received exceedingly little attention from them. My impression, based on real experience, is that very little has changed and unless you order a knife from outside Canada and the U.S., no one will open and then detain your Amazon or eBay purchase. Depriving millions of their rights, just to create a threat to an extremely small number of people will not buy anyone more votes.

Canadian men AND WOMEN like their knifes. Those responsible may find that there's more to be lost than gained.

Can I mail a Great Eastern Cutlery (slip joint) knife to Canada from the US?
This is just an amateur's guess, but I've taken a look at the photos of your knifes, and I saw nothing in any of them that would contravene Canadian laws. The ones that are prohibited are the tactical types, specifically those that can easily opened with one hand.

Your knives all appear to be TOOLS and a tool is not a weapon. If think you will be less likely to have a problem, if the package does not say 'knife' or 'Great Eastern Cutlery' on the outside, as there seem to be some inspectors with a variety of opinions on the law.

Use the same USPS standard expedited service that Amazon and EBay use. It is the quickest, safest and faster way to deliver small packages in Canada. That is especially true of those that will fit into a mailbox.

Just curious if any Canadians have had any problems since this started? I myself have had probably 15+ knives in past 3 months all make it with not a single problem! Majority of them were all flippers. I'm just wondering if this has actually affected anyone yet?

Just curious if any Canadians have had any problems since this started? I myself have had probably 15+ knives in past 3 months all make it with not a single problem! Majority of them were all flippers. I'm just wondering if this has actually affected anyone yet?

Plenty of people I know via FB groups have had their stuff seized. Lots of letters from the CBSA.

Really!!!! Damn I'm sorry to hear that happened to them. I was just curious cause I've yet to have it happen myself and I buy alotta knives!

Yeah, unfortunately so. My older brother had is FF/MD Crux seized just a little while ago. I'm waiting on the Zinker Dogtooth to ship next month from them, hopefully it gets through. Thankfully Massdrop has a great refund policy when it comes to that kind of thing.
You always have the option to get it shipped back from the border somewhere else and re-sent of pickup, it's just a chunk of change to do so. Some might argue it's better than no knife. Not sure myself.

Just very weird cause I've had flipper knives in past 3 weeks that customs have opened, inspected and charged me duty for! But they still made it no prob. This customs issue has become very peculiar

Just very weird cause I've had flipper knives in past 3 weeks that customs have opened, inspected and charged me duty for! But they still made it no prob. This customs issue has become very peculiar

Apparently the application of the rule is extremely patchy. There are probably plenty of border agents who have been on the job a long time and do things they way they were trained to do them in the first place.

Then there are brown noser agents who will follow this rule.

Then there are probably offices where the new rule is sitting in an unopened envelope on the head agent’s desk. He don’t read mail, if its a big issue he’ll get yelled at by a superior when it is time to do something.

Border agents are humans too. (i know, I can hardly believe it myself)

Back