Canadian Knife Laws

Honestly wouldn't be too shocked if some are not following the new guideline out of protest. There are some of our friends in all those offices, they just know to keep things discrete.

And the fun doesn't stop!! CBSA seized a flipper knife from me! Received the papers a few weeks ago. The risk is very real people! Also watch out from as to who you order from, as some knife makers are marked and will have all their knives red flagged upon entry

OK...so to be clear....NO FLIPPER is allowed in Canada. No knife that uses a thumb stud to open. What the hell does that leave us in the way of lock blades, nowadays??
???

OK...so to be clear....NO FLIPPER is allowed in Canada. No knife that uses a thumb stud to open. What the hell does that leave us in the way of lock blades, nowadays??
???

Flipper knives are being seized but thumb studs are fine. Customs opened my sebenza and let it through no problems at all. It's up to you if you want to risk a flipper as some still make it through but should have no problems with thumb studs or thumb disks

Actually the way the legislation reads thumb studs are not safe. They have left it open for each individual CBSA officer to interpret.

Example
A CBSA partially opens knife and then wrist flicks it open... depending on the officer they could seem that prohibited.

The whole tightening the pivot trick doesn't work anymore

Edit: correction, not legislation but the way the decision from their tribunal reads

Last edited:
Actually the way the legislation reads thumb studs are not safe. They have left it open for each individual CBSA officer to interpret.

Example
A CBSA partially opens knife and then wrist flicks it open... depending on the officer they could seem that prohibited.

The whole tightening the pivot trick doesn't work anymore
Actually, it's not "legislation". It's a faulty interpretation of the Canadian Criminal Code by a quasi-judicial trade tribunal that is changing the CBSA policy on the importation of certain kinds of folding knives. Mainly flippers.

Actually, it's not "legislation". It's a faulty interpretation of the Canadian Criminal Code by a quasi-judicial trade tribunal that is changing the CBSA policy on the importation of certain kinds of folding knives. Mainly flippers.

Sorry yes you're right
I didnt mean legislation,
However like I said it's not just affecting flippers anymore

Sorry yes you're right
I didnt mean legislation,
However like I said it's not just affecting flippers anymore
It is very sad. Practically any folding knife will be able to be flicked open with proper technique. Someone who has never flicked open their knife, if it has been used for many years could, through wear and tear, be carrying a technically illegal "flick knife" and not even realize it.

It is very sad. Practically any folding knife will be able to be flicked open with proper technique. Someone who has never flicked open their knife, if it has been used for many years could, through wear and tear, be carrying a technically illegal "flick knife" and not even realize it.

Yes its terrible, and just filling some greedy people's pockets...

Good news is, as of now its only CBSA... which means I'll no longer travel with folders in my luggage until resolved

Yes its terrible, and just filling some greedy people's pockets...

Good news is, as of now its only CBSA... which means I'll no longer travel with folders in my luggage until resolved
Unfortunately, I think its gonna take knife dealers disputing seizures through the courts and citizens being wrongly charged and fighting it in court for the rightful reversal of CBSA policy to take place.
Not crossing the border with folders is a good idea.

Unfortunately, I think its gonna take knife dealers disputing seizures through the courts and citizens being wrongly charged and fighting it in court for the rightful reversal of CBSA policy to take place.
Yes I agree with you, it usually takes something like that or someone wrongly charged for it to be reversed, sad reality but true.

Yes I agree with you, it usually takes something like that or someone wrongly charged for it to be reversed, sad reality but true.
Yes, and the scumbags on the trade tribunal know that most people aren't going to have the time and money to fight the charges in court and will end up plea dealing to lesser charges, thereby slowly setting precedents in the courts.

I can't help but think in some ways Canadian knife dealers are not going to fight this untill they don't have any knives. For the time being its making it tougher to buy internationally so you need to go through them for a knife.

I can't help but think in some ways Canadian knife dealers are not going to fight this untill they don't have any knives. For the time being its making it tougher to buy internationally so you need to go through them for a knife.
That is probably true. We need the big corporations like Bass Pro Shops and Cabella's to step up and lobby the government. Small knife dealers just don't have the money or influence to fight in court.

That is probably true. We need the big corporations like Bass Pro Shops and Cabella's to step up and lobby the government. Small knife dealers just don't have the money or influence to fight in court.
Sadly it's been a effective motivator for me lol. I've been running out and trying to buy some knife brands that I have been holding off on in fear that I might not be able to get one in the future. I know I can't be the only one that feels that way.

Sadly it's been a effective motivator for me lol. I've been running out and trying to buy some knife brands that I have been holding off on in fear that I might not be able to get one in the future. I know I can't be the only one that feels that way.
Yep! Unfortunately, being a member of BF tends to keep you up on the new offerings and then you gotta have one of those too! :mad:;):rolleyes::cool:

Well, the situation really sucks. Now I find myself (I live in Toronto) looking for an EDC knife that I actually like, that meets the current criteria. There isn't a lot.
Frankly, I'm thinking of going back to the ol' Victorinox swiss army knives, maybe a lock blade. They couldn't possibly have a problem with one of those?!?!?!
BTW, not sure how many Americans there are on this thread, but I have to apologize on behalf of normal Canadians for our crazy progressive government. We don't like freedom here. Ironically, we seem to be fine with street gangs.

Well, the situation really sucks. Now I find myself (I live in Toronto) looking for an EDC knife that I actually like, that meets the current criteria.

What are you talking about?
You can carry any thumb-stud, thumb-hole or flipper knife in Toronto; it is at the Canada/USA Border where the issue is.
The rest of Canada is the same as it always has been...and there are plenty of knives for sale in Toronto. ;)

Back