"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

This thread has gotten a bit too off-topic lately if you ask me. Shopping carts, progressive lenses, GT's shirt... Let's get back to what this it's supposed to be all about: chili! :D

HP07wK8.jpg

Can't forget the cornbread! :thumbsup:

YAa2nqI.jpg
Pretty hard to beat some good ol' homemade chili and corn bread :) Especially on a cold day. Mmmmmmmm.

This thread has gotten a bit too off-topic lately if you ask me. Shopping carts, progressive lenses, GT's shirt... Let's get back to what this it's supposed to be all about: chili! :D

HP07wK8.jpg

Can't forget the cornbread! :thumbsup:

YAa2nqI.jpg
Gotta strain the beans, though! ;)

Thank you. I'm trying to think of anything...The traditional Hanukkah food is latkes (potato pancakes) which does pair well with smoked brisket. :thumbsup:
Your question brings to mind a Jewish style deli in Austin I went to a few times. Business wasn't doing so well, so they tried expanding their menu to Mexican/Jewish/Asian fusion. Pastrami eggrolls, latkes topped with jalapeno queso, shrimp and miso matzoh ball soup. So hilarious and wrong, but at the same time, really good. :D Sadly, they closed down pretty quickly after that.

Usually I am the one that does the cooking, but today my wife and daughter made the latkes. I was happy to let them take the lead on it. I will be travelling for work for most of Chanukah, but we got to do the first night together and I'll be back home for the last few nights. Of course, for the kids the holiday is more about the gelt and the presents, but I think I'll do a brisket next weekend.

Happy Chanukah r8shell :)

Usually I am the one that does the cooking, but today my wife and daughter made the latkes. I was happy to let them take the lead on it. I will be travelling for work for most of Chanukah, but we got to do the first night together and I'll be back home for the last few nights. Of course, for the kids the holiday is more about the gelt and the presents, but I think I'll do a brisket next weekend.

Happy Chanukah r8shell :)
Same to you! Glad you get to enjoy latkes tonight, and get to be home in time to see all the candles lit. :)

We use stone ground meal. Roller ground meal is not as naturally sweet, but they add sugar to the meal...too much for my taste.

Last edited:
I heard about grits when I was younger, but didn't think many people really ate them. For example, on "The Beverly Hillbillies," Granny would cook things like possum belly, crow gizzards, and grits, so I just thought it was something bad. They're quite delicious, though. I add butter, cream (wife's request), cheddar cheese, garlic, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Vinny likes his grits spicy!

Prester John Prester John We like ours with just butter and pepper. Nothing fancy. Put some country ham alongside and that's about as good as it gets. Some folks use chicken stock instead of water. Grits don't absorb salt very well.

Prester John Prester John We like ours with just butter and pepper. Nothing fancy. Put some country ham alongside and that's about as good as it gets. Some folks use chicken stock instead of water. Grits don't absorb salt very well.
Sounds good to me.
I think the cooking directions call for a little salt. My wife likes the cheese, garlic, cream, and cayenne pepper. I think I would like it better with just a little butter, salt (small amount), and pepper, like I eat my baked potatoes. But, you know, "Happy wife...."
Getting hungry.

Last edited:
Back