"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

When I was a kid, my parents would often refer to the living room as 'the house'. I always thought that was some weird family thing, but apparently it was once traditional in Sheffield, among working-class people. Though in earlier times, many houses would have had just had one downstairs room, with a bedroom above.

They were the rage not so many years ago. :thumbsup: Don't forget the elephant in the room, the waterbed was a biggie for a period. :rolleyes::p

LOL! I never had one of those! :D :thumbsup: The futon was great for my back, but not so easy to get up from as I got older! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

When I was a kid, my parents would often refer to the living room as 'the house'. I always thought that was some weird family thing, but apparently it was once traditional in Sheffield, among working-class people. Though in earlier times, many houses would have had just had one downstairs room, with a bedroom above.
House? You were lucky to have a house! We used to live in a rolled-up newspaper.

Barrett it does melt rather quickly here. we have a fairly moderate climate here. They reported this morning that we have 9.8 inches in Asheville so far.
Randy, how are you doing down there now? You're getting dumped on!! :eek::( How many plows does Asheville have?

We get a lot of snow over the course of the winter where I am (the source I'm looking at reports an average of 74.9" per year for 1981-2010), but getting 10" or more at a time is rather unusual - 0.2 days per year on average, or twice every 10 years! The 75-inch annual average is spread over an average of 52 days per year (an average snow event of less than 1.5" per day that snow actually falls).

https://www.currentresults.com/Weat...nowfall-totals-snow-accumulation-averages.php

- GT

Growing up in our family furniture store...man if I had a dollar for every one I delivered and set up:eek::eek::eek:

LOL! :D They never really caught on over here. I remember a hippy shop that used to be in Sheffield in the 70's and early 80's, which sold stuff from Third World countries at expensive prices. It was called Bringing It All Back Home, but everyone called it 'Bringing It All Back Up'! I was in there once, with my girlfriend at the time, looking at this thin quilt, and I remarked that it didn't look very warm. The owner, a well-groomed wealthy hippie-entrepreneur, overheard me and came over to tell me how good it was, insisting he had one himself, and it was all he needed to keep warm. As an afterthought, he simperingly added, "But then I do sleep on a heated water-bed"! o_O :oops:

House? You were lucky to have a house! We used to live in a rolled-up newspaper.

LOL! A soggy one no doubt! :D :thumbsup:

That's right I should have pointed the question to you Paul.:D "Davan" that's a new one, although I have heard Davenport mentioned over the years. Do you think its different in the Eastern USA versus the West or Midwest?

Davenport was a furniture manufacturing company in Cambridge, they furnished many historic courtrooms, libraries and homes over the years, including the White House.

Jack Black Jack Black a neighbor called me over one afternoon (in the early 70's), their waterbed had started leaking and ruined the floor of the rental. I never contemplated one after seeing that mess. On the other hand another friend used one in the bed of his pickup when it snowed to add weight :D

They were often included in 70's British TV comedy shows, and I dare say the inevitable puncture and flooding was not great for UK water-bed sales! :D :thumbsup:

doooh that reminds me ..I promised mum I would drive up before Xmas and clean the gutters ...this time of year its dry leaves and not good for the fire risk ....nor the risk of her getting my Dad up the ladder or worse going up herself with him at the bottom shouting at her what to do.
I.m reminded of a news story from the south coast a few years back ..
The local bushfire brigade were called to a house after the owner had discovered a nest of funnelweb Spiders in his guttering.
He attempted to remove the venomous arachnids by plugging the downpipes with tennis balls ,filling the gutters with lawnmower fuel and setting it alight.

JB thank you mate.
that brought back memories of the Steptoe Kung Fu episode...old man Steptoe and his crew of old boys take out the standover spiv and his heavies...becuase theyve been watching Bruce lee movies at the pictures. YES.
Cheers

LOL! Very timely! :D :thumbsup:

JB thank you mate.
that brought back memories of the Steptoe Kung Fu episode...old man Steptoe and his crew of old boys take out the standover spiv and his heavies...becuase theyve been watching Bruce lee movies at the pictures. YES.
Cheers

That was a good one, I used to laugh like anything at those episodes :) I think I can still do a reasonable impression of both father and son! :D :thumbsup:

Randy, how are you doing down there now? You're getting dumped on!! :eek::( How many plows does Asheville have?

Take a look for your self GT first picture is ny Christmas tree in front of my window the rest are from the front of my apartment building.

vqZhE0V.jpg

r5zUPm2.jpg

bdD78ib.jpg

L7OdVM7.jpg

LgV7GZE.jpg

Ckg3IYX.jpg

Back