"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Take a look for your self GT first picture is ny Christmas tree in front of my window the rest are from the front of my apartment building.

vqZhE0V.jpg

r5zUPm2.jpg

bdD78ib.jpg

L7OdVM7.jpg

LgV7GZE.jpg

Ckg3IYX.jpg

Yowza, Randy, that looks like a LOT of snow! :eek::( Of course, it is NORTH Carolina. :rolleyes:
I hope you've got your mukluks oiled up for the season! :D

- GT

The few episodes I've seen of Steptoe and Son were much funnier than Sanford and Son once a yank could decipher the language and the politics :D

Take a look for your self GT first picture is ny Christmas tree in front of my window the rest are from the front of my apartment building.

vqZhE0V.jpg

r5zUPm2.jpg

bdD78ib.jpg

L7OdVM7.jpg

LgV7GZE.jpg

Ckg3IYX.jpg

My daughter was in the tv station all day, she had two reporters in Asheville. Not quite as bad as they thought it would be. Hendersonville and Saluda got a lot more from what she told me.

The few episodes I've seen of Steptoe and Son were much funnier than Sanford and Son once a yank could decipher the language and the politics :D

I imagine a lot of the cultural references would be VERY out of date today too! :D Like all the best comedy, it also included moments of deep pathos :thumbsup:

JB thank you mate.
that brought back memories of the Steptoe Kung Fu episode...old man Steptoe and his crew of old boys take out the standover spiv and his heavies...becuase theyve been watching Bruce lee movies at the pictures. YES.
Cheers

Yes sir, you're welcome. I prefer to imagine you Meako as a cross between Steptoe/Paul's Grandfather and the father in A Bronx Tale (Robert De Niro's character). Driving your bus, playing your music, enjoying your knives; and always, "very clean".

doooh that reminds me ..I promised mum I would drive up before Xmas and clean the gutters ...this time of year its dry leaves and not good for the fire risk ....nor the risk of her getting my Dad up the ladder or worse going up herself with him at the bottom shouting at her what to do.
I.m reminded of a news story from the south coast a few years back ..
The local bushfire brigade were called to a house after the owner had discovered a nest of funnelweb Spiders in his guttering.
He attempted to remove the venomous arachnids by plugging the downpipes with tennis balls ,filling the gutters with lawnmower fuel and setting it alight.
Sounds like that would work.

Gutters and Couch... I'm not very elegant I guess :oops:
Me, too.

An old boyfriend of mine had a waterbed for a while. Once the novelty wears off it's just okay, but unsupportive. (the bed and the boyfriend ;))

I just spoke to Stan Shaw, and he sounds well, but has recently had an operation to remove cataracts from his eyes. He's having to have drops put in his eyes, which give him slightly blurred vision, so he obviously can't work at the moment, which he's missing. He spent his birthday at Kelham Island, as he was missing everyone at the museum where he works a couple of days a week. They have a Victorian Christmas Market every year, and this year it fell the weekend of Stan's birthday, so Stan went for both days. I've said I'll go over to see him after Christmas, when he should be back at work :thumbsup:
Thanks for the update on Stan. When you see him, tell him we wish him well. :):thumbsup:

Snow is much more reasonable in Green Bay than it was where I grew up... this was the last time I shoveled off my parents house roof in the U.P. of Michigan :rolleyes: That's a normal sized snow shovel :eek:

View attachment 1035302 View attachment 1035303 View attachment 1035304
I got a great uncle that lives in the U.P. about 20 years ago on a visit I asked him about a line painted up on the side of the house, with a date. He said he walked up to the house and painted the line at the top of the snow. That line is 14 feet above the ground:eek::eek:

Snow is much more reasonable in Green Bay than it was where I grew up... this was the last time I shoveled off my parents house roof in the U.P. of Michigan :rolleyes: That's a normal sized snow shovel :eek:

View attachment 1035302 View attachment 1035303 View attachment 1035304
Kevin, I was going to say fond memories but that wouldn't be right:D but about 8/9 years ago when I still did handyman work, I had 4 guy's working with me and my eldest son, one year we did 124 roofs, shovel them off, then sometimes walk down, then shovel and snowblow the fallen snow clearing driveways and sidewalks. The following year we did EXACTLY 124 roofs:eek::eek::eek:. Some of the hardest, yet strangely enjoyable work I've done. Dropped 20lbs that Winter. At the end of the day, under all the layers, I was soakin wet:thumbsup:

Kevin, I was going to say fond memories but that wouldn't be right:D but about 8/9 years ago when I still did handyman work, I had 4 guy's working with me and my eldest son, one year we did 124 roofs, shovel them off, then sometimes walk down, then shovel and snowblow the fallen snow clearing driveways and sidewalks. The following year we did EXACTLY 124 roofs:eek::eek::eek:. Some of the hardest, yet strangely enjoyable work I've done. Dropped 20lbs that Winter. At the end of the day, under all the layers, I was soakin wet:thumbsup:
Just reading about that makes me tired .

Harry

I gotta say I don't miss it Paul but yes it is actually enjoyable as long as it's not too windy and frigid! Shovel hard for 5 minutes and then take a two minute break... Repeat. :D

Paul Shoveling snow is hard work but off of a roof had to be rough. :eek::eek:
The worst winter work I have ever done came was when an ice storm would come through and that usually happens at least once or twice a year around here. Anyway the ice would freeze to the utility poles and there would always be a tree fall on a line or a transformer would blow somewhere you couldn't get to with a bucket truck so we would have to break the ice off with a line hammer as you climbed the darn thing. o_Oo_O

Back