"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I've been watching Time Team's Favorite Digs, and I think I may be a knife knut.
Faye and Tracy were presiding over an empty ditch in iron age hill fort country in Herefordshire. Was I worried about why there were no signs of habitation on this improbably large hill fort? Nope. I was wondering what knife I could whip out that would impress Faye and Tracy.
Q9pgeUL.jpg

Rofm0T6.jpg

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

Most people around these parts call them gutters. I don't know how many people spell the plural of trough to show the old intervocalic voicing. It's not a word I see much either.

Same here Jer :thumbsup: I wonder what it was like a few hundred years back though? :thumbsup:

Jack eavestrough is what I was raised with as a description, I have only heard the term gutters in the last few years.o_O
Stop the world and let me off! :eek::p

Yes, I noticed that it was used predominantly in Canada and the northern US Dave :thumbsup: A shame when old words start disappearing :(

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

Same here Jer :thumbsup: I wonder what it was like a few hundred years back though? :thumbsup:

Yes, I noticed that it was used predominantly in Canada and the northern US Dave :thumbsup: A shame when old words start disappearing :(
On that note, do you say Chesterfield, Sofa, or couch? When I was a boy it was a Chesterfield, nowadays its called a sofa.o_O

On that note, do you say Chesterfield, Sofa, or couch? When I was a boy it was a Chesterfield, nowadays its called a sofa.o_O
Dave, being raised in a furniture store and owning one today another word/term for Sofa (most common term used here) was "Davan" or "Davano" the most rare of the descriptions you and Jack listed. Back to Eaves/gutters. I was raised referring to them as eavestrough. My buddies own an aluminum siding and gutter business so of late gutter comes to mind:eek::D

When I was a lad in Michigan, we called the furniture a sofa, and the rain catchers on the edge of the roof were called eavestroughs (with no "e" before the final "s", Jer ;)). I still say eavestroughs, although gutters is now very common here. I seem to have switched to couch for the furniture, but I don't know when or why. I've never used Chesterfield or settee (although I'm sure I've read those terms), but I've used/heard sofa, couch, davenport, divan, and love seat for a short version. I have no idea if these words are supposed to have slight differences in meaning.

- GT

I just spoke to Stan Shaw, and he sounds well, but has recently had an operation to remove cataracts from his eyes. He's having to have drops put in his eyes, which give him slightly blurred vision, so he obviously can't work at the moment, which he's missing. He spent his birthday at Kelham Island, as he was missing everyone at the museum where he works a couple of days a week. They have a Victorian Christmas Market every year, and this year it fell the weekend of Stan's birthday, so Stan went for both days. I've said I'll go over to see him after Christmas, when he should be back at work :thumbsup:

Dave, being raised in a furniture store and owning one today another word/term for Sofa (most common term used here) was "Davan" or "Davano" the most rare of the descriptions you and Jack listed. Back to Eaves/gutters. I was raised referring to them as eavestrough. My buddies own an aluminum siding and gutter business so of late gutter comes to mind:eek::D
That's right I should have pointed the question to you Paul.:D "Davan" that's a new one, although I have heard Davenport mentioned over the years. Do you think its different in the Eastern USA versus the West or Midwest?

Wow. I consider myself pretty broadly familiar with a wide range of regional words, but I had never heard of eavestrough until just now. Like Jack said, it is easy to understand what is meant (and honestly I like the specificity of eavestrough as compared to the more generic gutter), but it is certainly a name I had never heard or read before in my life.

That's right I should have pointed the question to you Paul.:D "Davan" that's a new one, although I have heard Davenport mentioned over the years. Do you think its different in the Eastern USA versus the West or Midwest?
True Dave, Davenport is more the norm here among older folk (some actually older than me):D Davan is what I have heard some transplanted Southerns refer to as a couch. Now where things really get blurred terminology wise are Portico, Pergola, Arbor, Porch, Breezeway, Vestibule, Entryway, Mud Room etc...Now if we really want to make things interesting we need to bring our friend Duncan into the mix:D:D:D

Wow. I consider myself pretty broadly familiar with a wide range of regional words, but I had never heard of eavestrough until just now. Like Jack said, it is easy to understand what is meant (and honestly I like the specificity of eavestrough as compared to the more generic gutter), but it is certainly a name I had never heard or read before in my life.
As someone who was raised on a dairy farm, I especially have difficulty with using "gutter" for anything other than what the word originally meant to me: the shallow concrete "channel" that ran behind the cows while their heads were locked in the stanchions in the barn that held the cows in place for milking (and sleeping in the winter). The gutter was intended to catch the products of the cows' defecation/urination, and the gutters had to be cleaned out at least once, and more often twice, per day. The installation of a mechanical gutter-cleaner system was a godsend!!

- GT

As someone who was raised on a dairy farm, I especially have difficulty with using "gutter" for anything other than what the word originally meant to me: the shallow concrete "channel" that ran behind the cows while their heads were locked in the stanchions in the barn that held the cows in place for milking (and sleeping in the winter). The gutter was intended to catch the products of the cows' defecation/urination, and the gutters had to be cleaned out at least once, and more often twice, per day. The installation of a mechanical gutter-cleaner system was a godsend!!

- GT

Well now cleaning out the gutters on my house doesn’t sound so bad… :confused: :D

True Dave, Davenport is more the norm here among older folk (some actually older than me):D Davan is what I have heard some transplanted Southerns refer to as a couch. Now where things really get blurred terminology wise are Portico, Pergola, Arbor, Porch, Breezeway, Vestibule, Entryway, Mud Room etc...Now if we really want to make things interesting we need to bring our friend Duncan into the mix:D:D:D
Paul this could lead to some very interesting cultural/ethnic everyday terms. :thumbsup::D

Back