"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Thanks Harry. It was exceptional. My photo does it a disservice. There was also exquisite file work on the back spring and notice how the spring wraps around and fills the extra space on the secondary well. If I had tarried much longer I'd be poorer for it. But knife richer!!! :D
Here is Cherri's new belt sheath with her bullnose in it.View attachment 1074730
That is really a nice looking sheath Dwight .

Harry

Spent a few hours at the Arkansas Knife Show today. A good time had by all. Had the privilege of meeting and talking with several custom knife makers and a few other purveyors of cutlery. Highlights for me was talking with Bill Ruple, Kurt Swearingen and Luke Swenson. All three fellows were very warm, kind and eager to talk knives. Ruple had just been in Vegas at a show so he only had three knives to sell; a lockback whittler in tortoise shell and two others. The only real test of self discipline was in the form of an outstanding two-blade barlow in Sambar stag made by Luke Swenson. It is a dream of a knife. It was interesting for me personally to learn that Luke is also a retired firefighter (San Antonio).
Anyway Cherri and I managed to exit the show having only purchased a super cool custom leather sheath in which she can carry her red linen micarta bullnose on her side.
Here's a pic of Luke's barlow. I regret not taking better pictures of it. View attachment 1074653

Good looking knife. Interesting shape on the sheepsfoot; almost looks like a cleaver!

The 2020 BF annual GEC should be shaped like a pair of spectacles. I see it as a Whaler lorgnette neck knife.

The king of cigar box guitars describes one with a drawer-pull over the bridge. What a great idea for keeping your cuff off the strings! So I was looking for a plain sheet-metal arch like his, but I can't find one long enough, but I got this instead.
Won't that look cool?
csfaoI6.jpg

Yes, but- how am I going to string the uke if I have this steel shell screwed over the bridge? So I'll dismount it when I need to get at the strings. Yes, but- how dismountable will it be if it's screwed on from under the soundboard?
Now I'm thinking I can get out of making a bridge and saddle by drilling string-holes through the tall side and passing the strings over the short side.

Certain great discoveries or inventions are alleged to have been found by chance....

For the Patina Fans, here's one: TONIC WATER, that's right, blacken your carbon with this:D

Was fixing a Vodka Tonic for the GF (I never touch the stuff, Gin yes, Vodka no, Bourbon as often as possible:D:eek:) opening a small bottle that has a crown stopper it's icy from the fridge, bottle slips Tonic gushing everywhere:eek: Horribly sticky stuff on the floor:poop: but my brand new Wright Ettrick get's engulfed. I wiped it over a bit and later on found large black spots all over it from the Tonic:confused:

So, let you blade soak in tonic, god knows what it does for the insides:eek: but neat Gin? No thank you!

Certain great discoveries or inventions are alleged to have been found by chance....

For the Patina Fans, here's one: TONIC WATER, that's right, blacken your carbon with this:D

Was fixing a Vodka Tonic for the GF (I never touch the stuff, Gin yes, Vodka no, Bourbon as often as possible:D:eek:) opening a small bottle that has a crown stopper it's icy from the fridge, bottle slips Tonic gushing everywhere:eek: Horribly sticky stuff on the floor:poop: but my brand new Wright Ettrick get's engulfed. I wiped it over a bit and later on found large black spots all over it from the Tonic:confused:

So, let you blade soak in tonic, god knows what it does for the insides:eek: but neat Gin? No thank you!
Gin+tonic is good only to fight malaria, did you get that up North???:eek::D

Well, just bought a new knife: a Buck 119. Bought it for my wife for camping because she doesn't want to take her Buck 121 (fisherman's knife)--it was her father's and she's afraid of losing it or damaging it. Anyway, I suggested the 119, and she liked it. But she said it could be my knife (was on my list), and she just wanted to borrow it a couple of times a year. Either way is cool with me. Maybe my enthusiasm is contagious. :cool:

Gin was made for martinis. Forget the tonic, get French vermouth.

Thing is, I like both :D:cool:

Tonic has certainly become sweeter and less bitter over the years, unlike me :D

In the North, there are squadrons of mosquitoes as soon as you set outdoors, plus Horse and Elk flies :eek: don't know about malaria, but they're a plague. Zika.....o_O

Well, just bought a new knife: a Buck 119. Bought it for my wife for camping because she doesn't want to take her Buck 121 (fisherman's knife)--it was her father's and she's afraid of losing it or damaging it. Anyway, I suggested the 119, and she liked it. But she said it could be my knife (was on my list), and she just wanted to borrow it a couple of times a year. Either way is cool with me. Maybe my enthusiasm is contagious. :cool:
For a next gift may I suggest a fishing pole? :rolleyes::D

Back