"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

In GEC's terminology list they say that 'file' is an alternative to 'pile' I'm a bit dubious about this and suspect it could be a result of the deaf giving their input...;):D

Rachel's coining explanation seem the most valid to me, lower dies may have been held in place on a pile similar to a foundation support, and the Latin and M.English clinch it!

Here's one theory:

Origin of pile
noun
the lower of two dies for coining by hand.
1350–1400; Middle English pyl reverse of a coin < Medieval Latin pīla

In GEC's terminology list they say that 'file' is an alternative to 'pile' I'm a bit dubious about this and suspect it could be a result of the deaf giving their input...;):D

Rachel's coining explanation seem the most valid to me, lower dies may have been held in place on a pile similar to a foundation support, and the Latin and M.English clinch it!

there is a relationship between knives and coins that goes back a long time- this from wiki

From about 1000 BC, money in the form of small knives and spades made of bronze was in use in China during the Zhou dynasty.

Yeah, my understanding was that when the parts for traditional knives are initially fitted together, they are stacked, or ‘piled’ onto a fixed template or die, with pins protruding from it. The ‘pile’ side cover goes first and the other parts of the ‘pile’ are placed on top in sequence. The theory Rachel mentioned sounds right, as maker, Jay Fisher on his encyclopaedic website also says another name for the mark side is the ‘die side’, or continuing the similarity to coining terms, the ‘obverse side’.

Eric @ea42 is no doubt a busy man these days, but if he’s out there, he will no doubt know more.

Yeah, my understanding was that when the parts for traditional knives are initially fitted together, they are stacked, or ‘piled’ onto a fixed template or die, with pins protruding from it. The ‘pile’ side cover goes first and the other parts of the ‘pile’ are placed on top in sequence. The theory Rachel mentioned sounds right, as maker, Jay Fisher on his encyclopaedic website also says another name for the mark side is the ‘die side’, or continuing the similarity to coining terms, the ‘obverse side’.
This is what I recall though I don't remember the source.

Regarding selling knives... occasionally I will randomly go through my collection and ask myself "Can I let this knife go or not?" Some are no brainers and some go into a "I''ll think about it pile" and some are ""no way in heck". I've only been a knife knut for about 3 years now and my tastes have definitely evolved from what they were when I first started accumulating. Many of the first knives I purchased I now have no interest in keeping, so on the weekends I force myself to take pictures and write descriptions for 3 or 4 knives. Some of them $30 knives and some are $100 knives... what I do know is that after doing this for even a month, the Paypal account starts to add up. That's when you realize that selling off those knives affords you the opportunity to splurge on some nicer knives that you would normally not be able purchase. Many of the nicer knives that I've posted over the last few months were purchased because of those sold knives that were basically taking up space. So that is my motivational speech for those that are putting off thinning out the collection, I think once you get a routine of doing it, you might actually find it fun. :) The hardest part is all of the packaging. What I do is when I get a new knife in the mail, I will save some of the nicer small undamaged boxes for re-use. Don't use the flat rate USPS boxes unless you are shipping multiple knives; it's expensive. I use the reverse side of 3x5 recipe cards to write the shipping address on and tape it to the box with clear wide Duck brand packing tape. Most knives I send out cost $3.50 to $3.75. Enjoy ;)

Last edited:
Regarding selling knives... occasionally I will randomly go through my collection and ask myself "Can I let this knife go or not?" Some are no brainers and some go into a "I''ll think about it pile" and some are ""no way in heck". I've only been a knife knut for about 3 years now and my tastes have definitely evolved from what they were when I first started accumulating. Many of the first knives I purchased I now have no interest in keeping, so on the weekends I force myself to take pictures and write descriptions for 3 or 4 knives. Some of them $30 knives and some are $100 knives... what I do know is that after doing this for even a month, the Paypal account starts to add up. That's when you realize that selling off those knives affords you the opportunity to splurge on some nicer knives that you would normally not be able purchase. Many of the nicer knives that I've posted over the last few months were purchased because of those sold knives that were basically taking up space. So that is my motivational speech for those that are putting off thinning out the collection, I think once you get a routing of doing it, you might actually find it fun. :) The hardest part is all of the packaging. What I do is when I get a new knife in the mail, I will save some of the nicer small undamaged boxes for re-use. Don't use the flat rate USPS boxes unless you are shipping multiple knives; it's expensive. I use the reverse side of 3x5 recipe cards to write the shipping address on and tape it to the box with clear wide Duck brand packing tape. Most knives I send out cost $3.50 to $3.75. Enjoy ;)
Great post Kevin. I have never sold a knife. But my experience very much mirrors what you stated. I have many knives that are of no interest to me now. Just seems like an overwhelming task to start selling them. Motivation is what I need. And you are right. The $50.00 sales will eventually add up to some serious funds. So... having said that... I may start liquidating... soon... very soon... just give me a minute... :rolleyes: ...

On a completely unrelated topic... my wife and I have been watching a new show on the History Channel called "Project Blue Book". It is based on real reports of UFO and the government investigations (or cover-up) of those reports. It's pretty interesting and has a secondary story-line about Russian spies, our nuclear program and the cold war. Anyway, I was talking about UFOs with my Mom on the phone and we both recalled a story that my Dad told us regarding a UFO that he swears he saw over a lake near our house. The whole conversation gave me chills thinking about the possibilities o_O So this morning I was getting the garbage cans ready to go out to the end of the driveway and when I opened the garage door, this is what I saw:

Capture.JPG

I cannot explain it other than I think there must be some braces under my hood that are in that pattern and the snow/freezing rain started when my engine was still warm. The hood is completely smooth and does not have any ridges in it that would account for this. I haven't been brave enough to open the hood up and inspect! LoL :rolleyes: (The red and green lights are still from my Christmas bulbs that I have in the exterior garage lights)

Great post Kevin. I have never sold a knife. But my experience very much mirrors what you stated. I have many knives that are of no interest to me now. Just seems like an overwhelming task to start selling them. Motivation is what I need. And you are right. The $50.00 sales will eventually add up to some serious funds. So... having said that... I may start liquidating... soon... very soon... just give me a minute... :rolleyes: ...
There's no better time to start than... tomorrow :D

View attachment 1074066
I cannot explain it other than I think there must be some braces under my hood that are in that pattern and the snow/freezing rain started when my engine was still warm. The hood is completely smooth and does not have any ridges in it that would account for this. I haven't been brave enough to open the hood up and inspect! LoL :rolleyes: (The red and green lights are still from my Christmas bulbs that I have in the exterior garage lights)

Yup braces and probably some sound deadening material. Don't be scared. :eek: :D

Ray

Regarding selling knives... occasionally I will randomly go through my collection and ask myself "Can I let this knife go or not?" Some are no brainers and some go into a "I''ll think about it pile" and some are ""no way in heck". I've only been a knife knut for about 3 years now and my tastes have definitely evolved from what they were when I first started accumulating. Many of the first knives I purchased I now have no interest in keeping, so on the weekends I force myself to take pictures and write descriptions for 3 or 4 knives. Some of them $30 knives and some are $100 knives... what I do know is that after doing this for even a month, the Paypal account starts to add up. That's when you realize that selling off those knives affords you the opportunity to splurge on some nicer knives that you would normally not be able purchase. Many of the nicer knives that I've posted over the last few months were purchased because of those sold knives that were basically taking up space. So that is my motivational speech for those that are putting off thinning out the collection, I think once you get a routing of doing it, you might actually find it fun. :) The hardest part is all of the packaging. What I do is when I get a new knife in the mail, I will save some of the nicer small undamaged boxes for re-use. Don't use the flat rate USPS boxes unless you are shipping multiple knives; it's expensive. I use the reverse side of 3x5 recipe cards to write the shipping address on and tape it to the box with clear wide Duck brand packing tape. Most knives I send out cost $3.50 to $3.75. Enjoy ;)
I wish I was a smart as you. I end up throwing the money I earn on knives back into our bank account... Where my wife can control it... Stupid... Stupid... Stupid

View attachment 1074066

I think it's quite obvious that you have joined The Avengers :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
What I do is when I get a new knife in the mail, I will save some of the nicer small undamaged boxes for re-use. Don't use the flat rate USPS boxes unless you are shipping multiple knives; it's expensive. I use the reverse side of 3x5 recipe cards to write the shipping address on and tape it to the box with clear wide Duck brand packing tape. Most knives I send out cost $3.50 to $3.75.

I always hang on to any small boxes I get in the mail for the same reason. I’ve been particularly happy with my most recent purchases from @knifeswapper, not just because the knives I bought were excellent, but because Mike has started shipping small orders in these new, smaller boxes that are perfect for this. And because he plastic-wraps all his boxes rather than using tape, the boxes are like new! (#21 Bull Buster and #71 Bull Nose tubes for scale.)

lxFCCCZ.jpg

On yet another note - the annual Arkansas Knife Show is this weekend and the wife and I will be there tomorrow. Should be a pretty awesome show. :)

Sounds fun, enjoy! :thumbsup:

Back