"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Little Easter story...never have been a big church guy. Growing up I can legitimately say I went to church maybe 2 times. I'm not gonna count funerals. Today me and my family went with my brother in law and his family to the Easter prayer service. Not gonna lie I had a good time. But what I got out of today and what I live my life by; just be a nice person! It's easy to be nice, throw a smile at someone's direction, say "hi", give someone a hand when they need it. Just be a good person!

Overall just a great day today, had a blast with my family. Had a big family Easter dinner and got to hide the eggs for all the kids. Also, got to eat some raw oysters my parents brought back from Tomales Bay north of San Francisco!

ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS ABOUT THIS?? Just recently, I tried to buy a CASE Tribal Lock in Whiskey Bone cv. I use a particular Bay outlet so can't mention it here, it also has an online store. I can say this seller has been fantastic over the years, always attentive and dealt with a return very smoothly.

I buy all my CASE knives from them as Intl. shipping costs are very reasonable and never a problem.

Tried to order the Tribal Lock, order stalled as no shipping option given. Contacted the dealer they seemed uncertain about it, but as it's holiday they will no doubt get back to me soon. However, reading the small print on their non Bay store I see that CASE have stated that US sellers are not allowed to ship Internationally and that all orders will be cancelled! This is both horrible incomprehensible:mad: I bought a Slimline Trapper in February, no problems, ditto a Swayback Gent in January. Looks like CASE have made a move that effectively ends their export market to the EU and world, this, if true, is a huge blow as CASE have been important to my collection. No doubt there might be a slick explanation...or it's just not true, but it's really saddened me.

Hopefully, this wasn't the last CASE...

ifQPHEf.jpg

what did you replace it with?
inquiring minds want to know!
Zorin OS. It's a version of Ubuntu that's been tweaked to look and feel more like Windows. You have to download it, then they recommend you download quickmatch to verify your download (I ended up eye-balling the numbers anyway, being unclear on the concept), then you download Rufus, with which you install Zorin. You get options to encrypt the whole thing or just your home folder. A smart guy would probably do that, but I'm only smart enough to worry about locking myself out of my own computer.
I'm not sure it doesn't look more like Ubuntu than like Windows.
Don't click on the first Zorin button that says "download", or you'll get an infinite loop of images cycling that don't do anything (must make sense to someone). You have to scroll down and choose a version first.

Another one here :thumbsup:
See above.
So far so good. It's faster than W10 and a lot less pushy and intrusive.

However, reading the small print on their non Bay store I see that CASE have stated that US sellers are not allowed to ship Internationally and that all orders will be cancelled!
Federal terrorphobia?
Just a guess.
Driver's licence renewal has gotten trickier in Michigan to make us compliant with new Federal "Real ID" requirements.

ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS ABOUT THIS?? Just recently, I tried to buy a CASE Tribal Lock in Whiskey Bone cv. I use a particular Bay outlet so can't mention it here, it also has an online store. I can say this seller has been fantastic over the years, always attentive and dealt with a return very smoothly.

I buy all my CASE knives from them as Intl. shipping costs are very reasonable and never a problem.

Tried to order the Tribal Lock, order stalled as no shipping option given. Contacted the dealer they seemed uncertain about it, but as it's holiday they will no doubt get back to me soon. However, reading the small print on their non Bay store I see that CASE have stated that US sellers are not allowed to ship Internationally and that all orders will be cancelled! This is both horrible incomprehensible:mad: I bought a Slimline Trapper in February, no problems, ditto a Swayback Gent in January. Looks like CASE have made a move that effectively ends their export market to the EU and world, this, if true, is a huge blow as CASE have been important to my collection. No doubt there might be a slick explanation...or it's just not true, but it's really saddened me.

Hopefully, this wasn't the last CASE...

ifQPHEf.jpg
Oh no! I buy from rhw same seller, hope this won't last for long. I noticed a (big?) EU seller selling Case knives lately, only a small selection and for inflated prices, maybe Case tries to help their EU seller to get into the saddle? Just some speculation on my part of course.

Not sure what is up with the International shipping. I just looked at the shipping policies of one of the biggest on-line Case retailers, and you'd think if Case itself has placed some restrictions on international sales, so as to protect the territory of an authorized European reseller, then their top dealer would have that in their policies. However, all it says is this:

"International Restrictions:
We cannot ship: Stag, Buffalo Horn, Mother-Of-Pearl, Abalone, Rosewood, Cocobolo Wood or Ebony Wood outside the US."

So unless your order was for one of the restricted handle materials, I am not sure where that came from.

Not sure what is up with the International shipping. I just looked at the shipping policies of one of the biggest on-line Case retailers, and you'd think if Case itself has placed some restrictions on international sales, so as to protect the territory of an authorized European reseller, then their top dealer would have that in their policies. However, all it says is this:

"International Restrictions:
We cannot ship: Stag, Buffalo Horn, Mother-Of-Pearl, Abalone, Rosewood, Cocobolo Wood or Ebony Wood outside the US."

So unless your order was for one of the restricted handle materials, I am not sure where that came from.
Maybe should you change of dealer, I tried two where I 'm used to get Case knives and did not see any restriction on any material. :)

BRINKERHOFF Ribbon Barbed Wire - Patent April 1879 - AKA - The Devil’s Rope (though I suspect lots of barbed wire shared that generic alias). Found lots in the wooded land trust acreage behind our house here in mid-coast Maine. Likely pretty common for you folks from cattle and sheep herding states but we were quite surprised to find it here. Though my wife tells that in the 1800s all the woods behind us and our 5 acres too, were cut off and sheep were likely grazing among the granite ledges. This is all that's left of that activity. Last year I found some lengths of it. It was unlike any barbed wire I had ever seen and so this spring went out and followed the strings to gather some up.

Couldn’t just leave it all there. ;) We have learned that is is galvanized but in the woods it looked so much like patinated bronze - real nice faint green tint. Couldn’t imagine anyone making barbed wire out of bronze even in this old boat building town but it surely looked like old bronze. Well - bringing it indoors and letting it dry shows it clearly to be galvanized. I’ve got about 30 or 40 feet of it (3 separate trips with gloves and metal shears - all part of my MaineWoods Collectibles) - some of the best I could find. Still lots more out there. Not doing anything but tripping up deer these days.

I had a bit of free time to play this week and so here I present TIGGER. 14" tall - through pinned and epoxied to the 6" dia. stone base. I knew I was saving that rock for something :cool: I will leave this bouncy “sculpture” outdoors and let the wire and stone gather some moss. It will just keep getting more elegant :rolleyes: I know, I know not everyone's idea of something worth keeping but I like it immensely - and my wife says it could grow on her - which would be better than having her stuck on it. That would hoit :eek:

Lots more wire so lots more "art" potential.

Last edited:
BINKERHOFF Barbed Wire - Patent April 1879 - AKA - The Devil’s Rope. Found lots in the wooded land trust acreage behind our house here in mid-coast Maine. Likely pretty common for you folks from cattle and sheep herding states but we were quite surprised to find it here. Though my wife tells that in the 1800s all the woods behind us and our 5 acres too, were cut off and sheep were likely grazing among the granite ledges. This is all that's left of that activity. Last year I found some lengths of it. It was unlike any barbed wire I had ever seen and so this spring went out and followed the strings to gather some up.

Couldn’t just leave it all there. ;) We have learned that is is galvanized but in the woods it looked so much like patinated bronze - real nice faint green tint. Couldn’t imagine anyone making barbed wire out of bronze even in this old boat building town but it surely looked like old bronze. Well - bringing it indoors and letting it dry shows it clearly to be galvanized. I’ve got about 30 or 40 feet of it (3 separate trips with gloves and metal shears - all part of my MaineWoods Collectibles) - some of the best I could find. Still lots more out there. Not doing anything but tripping up deer these days.

I had a bit of free time to play this week and so here I present TIGGER. 14" tall - through pinned and epoxied to the 6" dia. stone base. I knew I was saving that rock for something :cool: I will leave this bouncy “sculpture” outdoors and let the wire and stone gather some moss. It will just keep getting more elegant :rolleyes: I know, I know not everyone's idea of something worth keeping but I like it immensely - and my wife says it could grow on her - which would be better than having her stuck on it. That would hoit :eek:

View attachment 1116330

View attachment 1116331

AND - one must include some knife content :) This has been a daily carry for the past few weeks and was with me as I harvested the Brinkerhoff - My Le Garonnais by Le Sabot in Ebony

View attachment 1116341

Fun huh? :thumbsup:

Ray
Thanks for sharing that, Ray! When I was a kid, I worked with lots of barbed wire: putting it up, keeping it clear of weeds, fixing/replacing broken strands and fence posts, taking it down when land use changed. Some of the wire dated back at least to the 1930s, I'll bet, but I've never seen barbed wire like yours!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Nice artistic sculpture, too! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

BINKERHOFF Barbed Wire - Patent April 1879 - AKA - The Devil’s Rope. Found lots in the wooded land trust acreage behind our house here in mid-coast Maine. Likely pretty common for you folks from cattle and sheep herding states but we were quite surprised to find it here. Though my wife tells that in the 1800s all the woods behind us and our 5 acres too, were cut off and sheep were likely grazing among the granite ledges. This is all that's left of that activity. Last year I found some lengths of it. It was unlike any barbed wire I had ever seen and so this spring went out and followed the strings to gather some up.

View attachment 1116330

View attachment 1116331

AND - one must include some knife content :) This has been a daily carry for the past few weeks and was with me as I harvested the Brinkerhoff - My Le Garonnais by Le Sabot in Ebony

View attachment 1116341

Fun huh? :thumbsup:

Ray
Really neat Ray:thumbsup: Like Gary, I grew up stretching, repairing and being around Barbed wire a lot when I worked summers on the farm. I saw lots of different variations but none like yours, it's really:cool: like your sculpture:)

That ribbon wire looks like something from the trench warfare days of WWI.

Yeah, I have images of barbed wire in my head that are very unsettling. My wife and I actually talked about how to use the 30+ feet of this found Brinkerhoff in ways that would not evoke those negative images. That it is unlike any conventional barbed or razor wire that one usually thinks about and to my way of thinking, intrinsically interesting and pretty gives it a pass.

Importantly, how it was used 100 years, or more, ago on our woodless peninsula (now completely overgrown spruce & pine & mixed deciduous forest) for keeping the sheep from straying too far in the fog and safer from predators, compels me to create with it. A new benevolent local history, so to speak.

I love that museum in Canyon, Tx. One of the most interesting I've ever visited.

I bet you never thought you'd be seeing a reference to it from a post in a Blade Forum thread written by a guy from Maine. ;) Cool that you have been there Dwight. :thumbsup:

Ray

Last edited:
Hey guys & gals... I just wanted to chime in for a short "Hello"...

Still struggling with life´s difficulties made my time short. I know I promissed for almost some times to come back more often and it didn´t happen. So I won´t do this anymore. :D

Great to see many of the older members still posting in here frequently and regularly.

Back