"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

We had a busy day today! :D

qjM5t4D.jpg

This is Scout Louise Brown. She was born at 12:51 this afternoon (five days past her due date). 8 lbs 10 oz and 20.5” long. She and her mama are both doing great! Eleanor was a bit disappointed that she wouldn’t get to come visit her sister at the hospital, but we’ll be going home tomorrow, and I know she’s excited to meet her.

The day Eleanor was born, I happened to be carrying a Farm & Field #71 Bull Nose in Nifebrite Acrylic, which has since become “her” knife. I carry it on her birthday (and other special occasions), take a picture of her holding it each year, and eventually I’ll give it to her.

Once we had decided on Scout’s name, I knew the exact knife I wanted to find for her: a Tidioute #15 Boy’s Knife in Nifebrite Acrylic (to match her sister’s #71) with the “SCOUT” shield. Of course, that was easier said than done. There weren’t many of them made (I don’t know the number off the top of my head, but it was a small run), and it had been several years since GEC had made them.

I reached out to several friends here on the forum looking for any help I could get. More than one person offered to sell me a #15 Scout in another handle material (Thank you guys! You know who you are!), but the Nifebrite Scout was elusive.

After a bit more searching, I learned that @JohnDF had been looking for this same knife for a while, and had recently found one. I reached out to him, not with any thought of asking him to part with the knife he’d just acquired, but with a far-fetched hope that he might have another lead from his own search. John quickly responded to my PM, asking me for my address and saying that he wanted to send me his knife. I told him that was too generous, and insisted that he at least let me pay him for it, but he refused.

Anyways, the point of that long-winded story is to finally publicly say THANK YOU, John for this extremely special knife!!! You really are too kind, my friend, and I owe you big time!

Here’s Scout’s Scout with Eleanor’s Bull Nose.

jE25AEf.jpg
Congrats to you and your family, Barrett!
Scout, what a great name! Hope you all stay safe, healthy and happy!
Good on you @JohnDF !

On a side note, the wife and I saw Jeff Daniels play Atticus Finch in the "To Kill a Mockingbird" Broadway show. Quite an experience.

My Heart goes out to the Hilborns, hard times hit them with the loss of their gorgeous wee furry friend Harley, and now the loss of one of their Kin as well.

Hang in there Paul, Nanc and boys! Im thinking of you and sending all the best wishes your way!

Lovely pictures. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

QUOTE="Peregrin, post: Lured this Baltimore Oriole to our feeder with an orange yesterday. They don't eat seed, but love oranges.
iUVG2EA.jpg

He wasn't in the mood to share his treat though.
8k0jifL.jpg
Great pics of a beautiful bird!!:)
Thanks, guys! They are pretty skittish, so I was in stealth mode with the camera on a tripod controlling it from a distance with a smartphone app. Technology is wonderful, when it works. In other words, I got lucky.

Back