"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Nice old photos, Vince! :cool::thumbsup::cool: I think I have some old school pictures (e.g. 3rd grade class pic) that my late Mom saved for each of her kids, but I think my sisters have most of the old "family albums". When is your mother's 90th birthday? We've been planning on attending/helping with a 90th birthday celebration for my Dad, who'll turn 90 on August 4, but now who knows if we can have the party?
Her birthday is not till January 4. Hope our parents make it, and we can have a party!

Wish ads were still like this:
HfEHHi3.jpg

Do you know what that bird is, Barrett? It looks similar to hawks I see around town fairly frequently that I've decided to call Copper's Hawks, but I'm by no means supremely confident in my ID.

Well I’m pretty sure it’s a hawk :D, but beyond that I’d just have to guess based on a bit of minimal research. The Minnesota DNR website lists three types of hawks on their Birds of Minnesota page: the broad-winged hawk, the ferruginous hawk and the red-tailed hawk. I’m certain it wasn’t a red-tailed hawk, and it doesn’t really fit the description for the ferruginous hawk, either. I’d say it’s a broad-winged hawk. :thumbsup:

Sorry, you come too late, all sold already... :eek::D
I don't recall an ordering thread. The only thread I recall was a wishful thread just after the new year. So, my take is that 2020 will be the first year in a good while that a forum knife won't be done.

I’m not much of a bird watcher, although we do see quite a few around our place. Usually nothing too interesting, I don’t think; a lot of little black and white woodpeckers, the occasional pileated woodpecker, some massive black crows. Last summer one of the little black-and-white woodpeckers got trapped in the garage, and in an attempt to escape found his way into the eaves and started pecking a hole in the soffit. :mad: Trying to get him out of the garage was a whole day of fun. o_O

I snapped this picture last week of something a little less common. We were sitting in the living room when this guy swooped down and landed on the railing of the front deck. (Sorry for the picture quality, had to take it through the window, at an angle with a little bit of a glare, and zoomed in quite a bit with my phone.)

UqWx9kc.jpg
Looks like a juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk Barrett ;)

Lured this Baltimore Oriole to our feeder with an orange yesterday. They don't eat seed, but love oranges.
iUVG2EA.jpg

He wasn't in the mood to share his treat though.
8k0jifL.jpg
Great pics Gary... I love the Orioles. Mine here like orange marmalade or grape jelly. I'm glad the birds haven't been in quarantine, they are part of my daily entertainment while working from my basement!

CARDINAL.JPG GROSBEAK.JPG GROSBEAK2.JPG INDIGO.JPG INDIGO3.JPG ORIOLE2.JPG TURKEY.JPG

Well I’m pretty sure it’s a hawk :D, but beyond that I’d just have to guess based on a bit of minimal research. The Minnesota DNR website lists three types of hawks on their Birds of Minnesota page: the broad-winged hawk, the ferruginous hawk and the red-tailed hawk. I’m certain it wasn’t a red-tailed hawk, and it doesn’t really fit the description for the ferruginous hawk, either. I’d say it’s a broad-winged hawk. :thumbsup:
I think I'll change my answer... it really looks like a juvenile Red-Shouldered Hawk. Although they are sparse in Minnesota, they are spotted there during breeding season.

Red Shoulder.JPG Red Shoulder 2.JPG

Great pics Gary... I love the Orioles. Mine here like orange marmalade or grape jelly. I'm glad the birds haven't been in quarantine, they are part of my daily entertainment while working from my basement!

View attachment 1345547 View attachment 1345548 View attachment 1345549 View attachment 1345550 View attachment 1345551 View attachment 1345552 View attachment 1345553
Great pics, Kevin! Looks like our backyard, except we only see the occasional Indigo Bunting. The Rose Breasted Grosbeaks are here everyday now as are the Goldfinch, Cardinals, Baltimore Orioles and Turkeys, amongst others. I'll definitely try some jelly if I'm out of oranges.

We're retired, but my son and DIL use one of our basement rooms as an office, she's an attorney with the Federal Courts and he's a SUNY College Professor. They both work from home right now. With 3 kids under 4 it's tough to get anything done at their home, so they alternate using our no charge facility! One watches kids while the other works. They like to take a break and watch the birds too.
rKHZfIq.jpg

Great pics, Kevin! Looks like our backyard, except we only see the occasional Indigo Bunting. The Rose Breasted Grosbeaks are here everyday now as are the Goldfinch, Cardinals, Baltimore Orioles and Turkeys, amongst others. I'll definitely try some jelly if I'm out of oranges.

We're retired, but my son and DIL use one of our basement rooms as an office, she's an attorney with the Federal Courts and he's a SUNY College Professor. They both work from home right now. With 3 kids under 4 it's tough to get anything done at their home, so they alternate using our no charge facility! One watches kids while the other works. They like to take a break and watch the birds too.
rKHZfIq.jpg
I told my boss I like being able to look outside my basement office and watch my birds. He said I can move my desk at the office by a window and put out a bird feeder o_O My Orioles are pretty snooty, they only like Welch's grape jelly LoL We live near the bay in Green Bay and it's a common migration stop for many species of birds. I've recorded 62 species of birds here :eek: The Indigo Buntings stop by every year but only for about a week.

Well you can't call us So Cal folks completely soft. If it isn't fires or earthquakes, it's rattlesnakes in the tomatoes.

My wife found one about 6 inches away from her hand late yesterday in the tomato patch where she was working. She didn't recognize it, so she took a picture and brought it to me. where I was working on the computer. She asked me if I knew what type of snake it was.
"Rattlesnake" I says, "You can tell by the shape of the head. Where did you find it?"
"Expletive deleted," she says, "next to where I was working in the garden. It was right next to me."
I went out to investigate.
Cute little feller about 2 foot long. The garden runs along the fence we share with the neighbor and he had reported chasing a snake under the fence a couple of weeks ago. With this second sighting it was apparent to me that this guy had staked his territory along our fence line where my wife grows her tomatoes. Sorry fella. Not acceptable. So it is now a past tense snake, as I didn't have the skills to catch and release elsewhere.

I was thinking the broad-winged hawk. Common in MN, and the tail looks right.

9vLwYHQ.jpg

UqWx9kc.jpg
I used to see a hawk like that occasionally on my lunchtime walks near work here in Maryland. I too had tentatively ID’d it as a red shouldered hawk, but the bands on the tail were really pronounced, so now i’m not sure. It did seem a little bigger than a crow, however. Definitely wasn’t our more common red tailed hawk.

Back