"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Gary - Stunning photos of a absolutely gorgeous Bird!, I am battling a Neighbours Cat this moment who took my Blackbird Friend :(

Great Photo Vince! Love that outfit - you must have absolutely loved that as a kid!
Thanks, Duncan!
Sorry to hear about your Blackbird friend. We've got a feral cat that I have to chase away too often. I know he's just doing what comes naturally. I just don't want him acting naturally around my feeders.

Thanks, Gev! My kids and grandkids get a kick out of them. I figured I'd share them here.
I was going to try holding an orange half in my hand, like CelloDan CelloDan does with seed and chickadees, but I fear I'd still be standing out in the yard! :eek:

With this one I fear I wont have any fingers left if I offer it any treats from my hand :eek: :D

BxWFzsC.jpg

Lured this Baltimore Oriole to our feeder with an orange yesterday. They don't eat seed, but love oranges.
iUVG2EA.jpg

Superb photos, Gary! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: I think I've only seen a Baltimore oriole once in person (not counting on a baseball field).

I wonder if I should update my avatar so it can look more like 5K Qs 5K Qs ?
m8g25OZ.jpg
I'm the one who would want to look more like YOU, Vince!! That's a great singing' cowboy get-up! :cool::cool::thumbsup: All I had was a hat (and fake nose/moustache/glasses) :rolleyes:. Is that your boss Buick with the whitewalls, too?

Could be an idea for a new theme (please note the knife content :D)
View attachment 1342680
Jolipapa Jolipapa , is that caped crusader you? Very dashing on that dauntless steed! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::)

- GT

Superb photos, Gary! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: I think I've only seen a Baltimore oriole once in person (not counting on a baseball field)
Thank, Gary! We've only had them around our property for a few years now.

I'm the one who would want to look more like YOU, Vince!! That's a great singing' cowboy get-up! :cool::cool::thumbsup: All I had was a hat (and fake nose/moustache/glasses) :rolleyes:. Is that your boss Buick with the whitewalls, too?
Yes, that's my parent's Buick parked in front of my grandmother's. My mother probably took the photo from the front porch.

Here's a pic of the porch about three years earlier:
ToKLTQ0.jpg

Great uncle carrying me, uncle next to me, aunt on porch, grandmother standing behind the screen door, and my mother probably taking the photo. Just spoke to my uncle last night. He's 85, and wants to come visit his sister (my 89-year old mother), but the facility she is in is not letting anyone visit right now. :( Maybe in a month or two. If my mother makes it to 90, she'll have lived longer than anyone else in the clan.

Superb photos, Gary! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: I think I've only seen a Baltimore oriole once in person (not counting on a baseball field).
- GT

I am surprised that you do not have any over by you Gary . We have a minimum of 6 males plus the females around here all day for a week or more now . We put out Grape Jelly when we first see Tulips bloom . We then start to see the Orioles both Baltimore and Orchard and Humming Birds . Yesterday we also saw Indigo Bunting , Blue Bird , and Scarlet Tanager . All 3 of them have been fairly rare for us to see . You guys are pretty close to the same Latitude as us . Orioles will also want to drink from the Humming Bird feeders . Most other birds will come to Sunflower Seeds .

Harry

Jolipapa Jolipapa , is that caped crusader you? Very dashing on that dauntless steed! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::)

- GT
Yessir! I was about 6/7 I guess, big bro and sista thought that Dennis (of the Menace fame) would have better fit me for first name!

Yes, that's my parent's Buick parked in front of my grandmother's. My mother probably took the photo from the front porch.

ToKLTQ0.jpg

Great uncle carrying me, uncle next to me, aunt on porch, grandmother standing behind the screen door, and my mother probably taking the photo. Just spoke to my uncle last night. He's 85, and wants to come visit his sister (my 89-year old mother), but the facility she is in is not letting anyone visit right now. :( Maybe in a month or two. If my mother makes it to 90, she'll have lived longer than anyone else in the clan.
I love period pictures when they are spontaneous like this one. This one oozes quietness and everyday bliss. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes I was fond of the Three musketeers and I rode on my horse (with the Teddy bear) all day long (I still have the sword, quickly hidden by my parents as I was a bit too prompt at dueling with the cat!)
Btw,Vince did you keep this guitar?
No, Alain, I wish I had. But I have my baby rattle! I didn't save it--my aunt had it (the one standing on the porch; she died recently), and gave it to me a few years ago. Maybe I could start a "Blades and Baby Rattle" thread! :p

View attachment 1342942

I love period pictures when they are spontaneous like this one. This one oozes quietness and everyday bliss. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks. I had a happy childhood.

Jack Black and I were talking the other day about how animals are getting braver with the "Stay at Home" orders.
I was just out working in my shop when this little guy flew in and perched right on top of my head. Scared the crap out of me!!!

Jolipapa Jolipapa
In response to your question about keeping the guitar, this is what I wrote, but the answer looked like it was part of your quote in my last post:

No, Alain, I wish I had. But I have my baby rattle! I didn't save it--my aunt had it (the one standing on the porch; she died recently), and gave it to me a few years ago. Maybe I could start a "Blades and Baby Rattle" thread! :p

I’m not much of a bird watcher, although we do see quite a few around our place. Usually nothing too interesting, I don’t think; a lot of little black and white woodpeckers, the occasional pileated woodpecker, some massive black crows. Last summer one of the little black-and-white woodpeckers got trapped in the garage, and in an attempt to escape found his way into the eaves and started pecking a hole in the soffit. :mad: Trying to get him out of the garage was a whole day of fun. o_O

I snapped this picture last week of something a little less common. We were sitting in the living room when this guy swooped down and landed on the railing of the front deck. (Sorry for the picture quality, had to take it through the window, at an angle with a little bit of a glare, and zoomed in quite a bit with my phone.)

UqWx9kc.jpg

I snapped this picture last week of something a little less common. We were sitting in the living room when this guy swooped down and landed on the railing of the front deck. (Sorry for the picture quality, had to take it through the window, at an angle with a little bit of a glare, and zoomed in quite a bit with my phone.)

UqWx9kc.jpg
You don't get a chance like that very often. Great shot!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

ToKLTQ0.jpg

Nice old photos, Vince! :cool::thumbsup::cool: I think I have some old school pictures (e.g. 3rd grade class pic) that my late Mom saved for each of her kids, but I think my sisters have most of the old "family albums". When is your mother's 90th birthday? We've been planning on attending/helping with a 90th birthday celebration for my Dad, who'll turn 90 on August 4, but now who knows if we can have the party?

I am surprised that you do not have any over by you Gary . We have a minimum of 6 males plus the females around here all day for a week or more now . We put out Grape Jelly when we first see Tulips bloom . We then start to see the Orioles both Baltimore and Orchard and Humming Birds . Yesterday we also saw Indigo Bunting , Blue Bird , and Scarlet Tanager . All 3 of them have been fairly rare for us to see . You guys are pretty close to the same Latitude as us . Orioles will also want to drink from the Humming Bird feeders . Most other birds will come to Sunflower Seeds .

Harry
Sounds like you're having a great spring for birds, Harry! :):thumbsup::cool: Will the birds you mentioned be around all summer, or are you on a migration path for several species that are "just passing through"? Thanks for the hints on attracting birds; we haven't been keeping feeders for at least 10 years now, so that may be why I don't see the variety you enjoy. :rolleyes:

I saw one up close on the river trail in Lansing, singing its heart out. It seemed a toss-up whether it was about to burst into another phrase of song, or just burst.
Sounds like that was quite an experience, Jer! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I’m not much of a bird watcher, although we do see quite a few around our place. Usually nothing too interesting, I don’t think; a lot of little black and white woodpeckers, the occasional pileated woodpecker, some massive black crows. Last summer one of the little black-and-white woodpeckers got trapped in the garage, and in an attempt to escape found his way into the eaves and started pecking a hole in the soffit. :mad: Trying to get him out of the garage was a whole day of fun. o_O

UqWx9kc.jpg
Do you know what that bird is, Barrett? It looks similar to hawks I see around town fairly frequently that I've decided to call Cooper's Hawks, but I'm by no means supremely confident in my ID.

- GT

Last edited:
Back