"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

This is the bird that we hear in all jungle movies right? And I also heard one on an episode of Wagon Train when Flint McCullough was kidnapped and held hostage in a tree fort. :confused:

Jon was kind enough to send me a recording Kookaburra birds that he made in his back yard. It sounds like this:

Was your mother from Yorkshire Frank?! :D ;) :thumbsup:
San Francisco, but her father was from Glasgow and had worked in the shipyards as a young man. So, I imagine she grew up familiar with the phrase.

San Francisco, but her father was from Glasgow and had worked in the shipyards as a young man. So, I imagine she grew up familiar with the phrase.

That's very interesting Frank :thumbsup:

My Horsewright Horsewright wildrag arrived (Thanks Dave and Nichole). It will take me a while to learn how to wear it. Maybe they'll have some ideas at the bank.
0wvDpt1.jpg

That will certainly help with social distancing. I know I would give you a wide berth.
It's really quite a handy thing. It stays where I put it and tightens or loosens quickly and easily.
Not a common sight on my local streets, but I've realized that being old in America is like being a foreigner in small-town Japan forty years ago. You will look strange to the natives no matter how hard you try, so don't worry about it.
And I'm too old to put the aesthetic experience of others before my own comfort.

I think I'll rewatch some Robert Duval movies for pointers.

It's really quite a handy thing. It stays where I put it and tightens or loosens quickly and easily.
Not a common sight on my local streets, but I've realized that being old in America is like being a foreigner in small-town Japan forty years ago. You will look strange to the natives no matter how hard you try, so don't worry about it.
And I'm too old to put the aesthetic experience of others before my own comfort.

My buddy wrote a little deal on his blog about the same thing, kinda funny. Good read:

http://readjamesonparker.com/archives/4712

This lockdown makes me wonder if we're out of the wildrag and vest business. I really have a hard time seeing those little stores in the LA Garment District making it through all this. The sandwashed silk was becoming extremely rare anyway. They'd stopped making it after that tsunami years ago and never started back up again.

Thanks!

My buddy wrote a little deal on his blog about the same thing, kinda funny. Good read:

http://readjamesonparker.com/archives/4712

This lockdown makes me wonder if we're out of the wildrag and vest business. I really have a hard time seeing those little stores in the LA Garment District making it through all this. The sandwashed silk was becoming extremely rare anyway. They'd stopped making it after that tsunami years ago and never started back up again.

Thanks!
That's terrible news. I don't know what sandwashed means (I'll google it), but it sure feels nice. Maybe I should get a spare before it's too late.

I chickened out on the bank, but wore it to the nature center and an antique mall this morning.

Yes, times have changed. Greatly. We old folks don't really fit in and sometimes stand out. Greatly. I don't understand style these days at all. Most of all poking holes in various parts of ones face to stick studs into.

Duval is good, but I've been working on improving my curmudgeon attitude by rewatching Clint Eastwoods Gran Torino.

Yes, times have changed. Greatly. We old folks don't really fit in and sometimes stand out. Greatly. I don't understand style these days at all. Most of all poking holes in various parts of ones face to stick studs into.

Duval is good, but I've been working on improving my curmudgeon attitude by rewatching Clint Eastwoods Gran Torino.
Unforgiven will work better for my kerchief questions. Or Rawhide.

I don't think he wore a bandana in his poncho days. Hang 'em High, though.

I hope my enthusiasm holds. I just ordered two more wildrags.

Wish we had more to offer you like the good ol days. Vests and wildrags were the first things that we ever made to sell.

lLdnZ9A.jpg

H8bVPHP.jpg

vLjtNbM.jpg

OunMlFY.jpg

0EVeUbp.jpg

My wife Nichole shopping for silk at the LA Garment District, or the toilet bowl of America as she calls it.

92sxOBW.jpg

My Horsewright Horsewright wildrag arrived (Thanks Dave and Nichole). It will take me a while to learn how to wear it. Maybe they'll have some ideas at the bank.
0wvDpt1.jpg

Well, Jer, you convinced me! Placed my order this morning. :)

Sorry to hear that, Dave. :(

Dave, when you write your memoir, I hope that you include a lot of photos. As much as I like seeing your beautifully photographed knives, I enjoy your photos of people at work and at play even more.

Fingers crossed for better new days.

Me too!!

Well, Jer, you convinced me! Placed my order this morning. :)

Sorry to hear that, Dave. :(

Dave, when you write your memoir, I hope that you include a lot of photos. As much as I like seeing your beautifully photographed knives, I enjoy your photos of people at work and at play even more.

Thanks and will do!

Back