"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Yes, it's a cutlet, lightly breaded and fried. I can find it in the Mexican restaurants here in south Texas. Usually served with fried potatoes and spanish rice, and maybe a little salad. Would be good with spaghetti too, I'm sure.

Here it's served in Italian restaurants with spaghettis. I don't remember have eaten it with fried potatoes or rice but it could be eadible.

Dan.

I guess Vince was wrong, it was an Italian restaurant. Or an Italian restaurant run by a Mexican. Something like that. Pretty sure.

Dan.
From Rocky Balboa (couldn't find the clip):

Rocky: I'd rather do something I love badly than...
Paulie: ...than to do bad by not doing something you love.
Rocky: Come on Paulie, we're about to serve today's special.
Paulie: Italian food cooked up by a bunch of Mexicans doesn't sound so special to me, Rock.

[By the way I am mostly Mexican and a little bit Italian--and a whole bunch of other stuff!]

I guess Vince was wrong, it was an Italian restaurant. Or an Italian restaurant run by a Mexican. Something like that. Pretty sure.

Dan.
One of our local Mexican restaurants is named Garibaldi's.
EZG4jof.jpg

From Rocky Balboa (couldn't find the clip):

Rocky: I'd rather do something I love badly than...
Paulie: ...than to do bad by not doing something you love.
Rocky: Come on Paulie, we're about to serve today's special.
Paulie: Italian food cooked up by a bunch of Mexicans doesn't sound so special to me, Rock.

[By the way I am mostly Mexican and a little bit Italian--and a whole bunch of other stuff!]

One of our local Mexican restaurants is named Garibaldi's.
EZG4jof.jpg

Thanks Vince. I knew I was right. "Italian food cooked up by a bunch of Mexicans doesn't sound so special to me". I agree.
Garibaldi ! So Italian !

Dan.

Dan is right. Milanesas are from Argentina. I have eaten Milanesas in Mexican restaurants both north and south of the border. All I can say about it is, no two are quite the same. In Italian, a cotellete alla Milanese is a breaded veal cutlet. This suggests at least two routes to tender beef. One is to start with very young meat, and exploit its tenderness in constructing your dish. The other is to start with what may be a tough and stringy piece of meat, and hammer it into submission.

I would expect an Italian Milanese to be a very different animal from a Mexican Milanesa, and perhaps from an Argentine one as well; having never tried one, I can’t really comment. I have never tried the Italian veal variety either. When I order veal in an Italian restaurant, I usually opt for veal piccata, lemon and wine sauce with capers.

It should come as no surprise that these dishes don’t necessarily from one culture to another. Everyone knows that the French have never heard of french fries. And we should all know that in Amsterdam, you can’t get a Quarter Pounder with Cheese. It has to be a Cheeseburger Royale, because of the metric system.

I googled it, and somebody says the unofficial national dish of Argentina can be traced to Milan. Somebody also suggested that there's a similarity to Wienerschnitzel.
If the South Americans and the Italians, and perhaps the Viennese, want to fight about it, I'd be interested to watch from a safe distance.
Bon appetit and happy cooking!

I googled it, and somebody says the unofficial national dish of Argentina can be traced to Milan. Somebody also suggested that there's a similarity to Wienerschnitzel.
If the South Americans and the Italians, and perhaps the Viennese, want to fight about it, I'd be interested to watch from a safe distance.
Bon appetit and happy cooking!

I was going to remark about wienerschnitzel too. Breaded and fried beef or veal is good in any language!

What is going on exactly around here ?
Hey you guys “Milanesas” are from Argentina, what are you talking about ?
:D:D:D

Dan,

If you say so, i believe you. Why not after all? Argentina is such a strange country. A South American country populated by Italians who speak spanish and play a beautiful music on a german instrument...

Dan.

About naming of restaurants. The Garibaldi Mexican restaurant made me laugh, there was a Pizza place near here called El Teheran at one time :D didn't catch on ;) I've also seen a photo of a restaurant whose proprietor evidently used his name to misaffect.. The F.Yew Chinese Restaurant :D

When I lived in Britain, Garibaldi is the name of a particular biscuit (cookie if you must...) made of pressed currants, a particular favourite of mine :cool: I was told they are colloquially known as Squashed Fly Biscuits :eek: due to the look of the currants ....

Back