"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

My Nephew, Jack Alan Ryan, passed last night at 11:05 PM Pacific Time. He was 52-years old and passed with dignity. He was sleeping, took a few quick breaths, and slipped away. I'll miss him.

Sorry to hear that, Ed.

Svenska, ja.

I wonder about you Americans sometimes... (not you JP of course ;)) Norwegian is a different language from Swedish, has different letters in its alphabet too. Norwegians can understand Swedish (it was part of Sweden once, as was Finland long ago) but Swedes cannot always understand Norsk. Likewise, Danish is similar to both other Scandi languages but very different. then there's Icelandic which is like ancient Norse, they discovered America as well, Erik the Red;) Finnish is nothing like Swedish, German or Russian its neighbours :D but has a connexion with Estonian and Hungarian. Language lesson over :)

That’s interesting, Will. I’ve been reading a bit about Scandinavian languages recently, a result of a Netflix series I watched that was half in English and half in Norwegian (with subtitles, of course). I believe I read somewhere that Norwegians can understand spoken Swedish but have trouble reading it, and can read Danish but have trouble understanding it when spoken. (Or something like that.) :D Supposedly Norwegian is one of the easiest languages for native English speakers to learn.

Sorry to hear that, Ed.

That’s interesting, Will. I’ve been reading a bit about Scandinavian languages recently, a result of a Netflix series I watched that was half in English and half in Norwegian (with subtitles, of course). I believe I read somewhere that Norwegians can understand spoken Swedish but have trouble reading it, and can read Danish but have trouble understanding it when spoken. (Or something like that.) :D Supposedly Norwegian is one of the easiest languages for native English speakers to learn.
Honeymoon took us to Sweden through Danemark and Norway. My relative who had settled in Malmö explained that there are bokmål, nynorsk and høgnorsk? Only Norwegian can see the difference I guess but it is amazing that so few people with so many (written) languages can nevertheless live in peace. ;)

Honeymoon took us to Sweden through Danemark and Norway. My relative who had settled in Malmö explained that there are bokmål, nynorsk and høgnorsk? Only Norwegian can see the difference I guess but it is amazing that so few people with so many (written) languages can nevertheless live in peace. ;)
In Robert Barnard's Death in a Cold Climate, our hero seeks out the foreigners' table in the university cafeteria, because it's the only place to avoid a discussion of the Norwegian language.
The way I heard it a couple decades ago, there was rijksmal, empire language, the language of the court when Norway was part of Sweden or Denmark (Denmark, I think); bokmal, a national language culled from pre-Imperial literature; and landsmal, assembled from surviving country dialects in a similar reaction against empire language.

I didn't buy any knives today. The Wilton vise is particularly nice, though, I think.
Kjo2mUp.jpg

English is a mongrel language.Ever listened to Chaucer? ..middle English... or a telling of Beowulf? Olde English....?
Its closest relative is the dialect used in Frisia..(part of Holland)...the main difference being English shed the use of applying gender.....grammatically....certainly the language we speak now would be foreign to our ancestors.....which is why I love the movie The Black Shield of Falworth ....historical innaccuracy.

Remember when your pocket knife was larger than the your cellphone? Don't get me wrong, I'd likely be lost without my smartphone, but I do occasionally feel like chucking it into the woods. It's like a "brick in your pocket", to quote Tony Bose (he was referring to some knives, I believe), and they get bigger every year!

I was looking for something in my extremely organized :D office this morning and happened upon my old Motorola Razr. I recalled a recent post by @donn, in the Guardians thread and started reminiscing about days gone by.
Testing my GTED (Government Tracking Evasion Device). :cool:
Yiz4xfU.jpg
Now, I don't actually use the Razr. I'm too much of a high tech gizmo guy, and love all the apps and gadgetry, but mostly it's to keep up with what my kids and grandkids are doing and to take decent pictures on the fly. I do peek in on the forum occasionally too!
6bZDSPt.jpg

D6kg3cM.jpg

I'll give credit where credit is due. The Motorola Razr was the absolute best design of any cellphone/smartphone I've owned. I know a few manufacturers have new flip phones, and I'm on track to replace my current phone in November, I think. I'll be seriously looking at what is available.

Remember when your pocket knife was larger than the your cellphone? Don't get me wrong, I'd likely be lost without my smartphone, but I do occasionally feel like chucking it into the woods. It's like a "brick in your pocket", to quote Tony Bose (he was referring to some knives, I believe), and they get bigger every year!

I was looking for something in my extremely organized :D office this morning and happened upon my old Motorola Razr. I recalled a recent post by @donn, in the Guardians thread and started reminiscing about days gone by.

Now, I don't actually use the Razr. I'm too much of a high tech gizmo guy, and love all the apps and gadgetry, but mostly it's to keep up with what my kids and grandkids are doing and to take decent pictures on the fly. I do peek in on the forum occasionally too!
6bZDSPt.jpg

D6kg3cM.jpg

I'll give credit where credit is due. The Motorola Razr was the absolute best design of any cellphone/smartphone I've owned. I know a few manufacturers have new flip phones, and I'm on track to replace my current phone in November, I think. I'll be seriously looking at what is available.
I'm a fan of the larger models but Motorola has a new Razr.
https://www.motorola.com/us/smartph...sa9ngH0peHaoMDF9wIRoC04sQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Back