"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Great way to end my two-week vacation--celebrating the birth of my third grandchild:
j53n4Ib.jpg

She was born Friday, October 2.
aQh9cth.jpg

Sitting on the deck with my son, sipping Buchanen's Select 15-year-old whisky and puffing on an Oliva cigar.
QbhJEuO.jpg
Belated congrats on the newborn granddaughter #3, Vince!! :):thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
So many people have had so much bad news in 2020, but it's great to hear that some wonderful stuff is happening too!
I hope you and your family are inVINCEable! :thumbsup::rolleyes::thumbsup:

- GT

There was a story on the local news this evening about a lady who got mauled by a black bear. Out on my walk I was casually wondering what I would do if I encountered one (pretty unlikely, but I have seen one dead by the side of the road less than ten miles from here). Instead I came upon this beautiful piebald buck:
RhjQ8QM.jpg

He was polite enough to pose for a few pictures. He didn’t make any agressive moves, but I wasn’t really in the mood to get trampled either, so I left him alone after probably less than a minute.
PyWR84H.jpg

Afterwards I went that way:
fNV2P2R.jpg

Belated congrats on the newborn granddaughter #3, Vince!! :):thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
So many people have had so much bad news in 2020, but it's great to hear that some wonderful stuff is happening too!
I hope you and your family are inVINCEable! :thumbsup::rolleyes::thumbsup:

- GT
Thanks, Gary. There's a lot to be thankful for.

There was a story on the local news this evening about a lady who got mauled by a black bear. Out on my walk I was casually wondering what I would do if I encountered one (pretty unlikely, but I have seen one dead by the side of the road less than ten miles from here). Instead I came upon this beautiful piebald buck:
RhjQ8QM.jpg

He was polite enough to pose for a few pictures. He didn’t make any agressive moves, but I wasn’t really in the mood to get trampled either, so I left him alone after probably less than a minute.
PyWR84H.jpg

fNV2P2R.jpg

NICE! - Deer and knife :thumbsup:

RhjQ8QM.jpg

PyWR84H.jpg

fNV2P2R.jpg

Great pics, he obviously respected your 'T'ree Star'! ;) :thumbsup:

PyWR84H.jpg

fNV2P2R.jpg
Very interesting, Tom; I've seen lots of deer in 7 decades, but I've never seen that kind of coloring! :cool::cool::eek:
Is that a standard white-tail, or some other species?

I like that Okapi; I have one just like it. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Very interesting, Tom; I've seen lots of deer in 7 decades, but I've never seen that kind of coloring! :cool::cool::eek:
Is that a standard white-tail, or some other species?

I like that Okapi; I have one just like it. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT
He’s just a regular old whitetail. I have only ever seen 2 or 3 like this. They used to have a couple in the large herd which took up residence in the National Institute for Standards in Technology campus not far from me. I’m not sure what causes it, but there is an overpopulation of deer around here, and it is almost like they are becoming domesticated. It’s funny, I spent a lot of time in the woods and on the river growing up, and practically never saw a deer. Now it is a rare day I don’t see one just right here in the middle of suburbia.

In Pennsylvania we have about 1.5 million whitetail. The PA Game Commission says the goal is to get the herd size down to approximately 1 deer per square mile, which would be 50,000. That's a pretty big goal.

meako meako
Wow a star is born! :) I knew him when... he was just a raging pirate. ;)
Look at meako now! :eek:
Seriously Jon that's pretty cool. :thumbsup::thumbsup: :cool:
Cheers...now lets get a "behind the scenes " look at the swashbuckling shenanigans at the Inn of The Big White Dog....not everyone gets the Big Niles...the Innkeepers American Pitbull dog....lick of approval...:D...probably helps to have a couple o 8.6% Doghouse double IPAs first.
20201008-075431.jpg

meako meako American Pitbulls are smart dogs, their lick of approval can be counted on, unless... please tell me... Niles wasn't the one helped by the Doghouse IPAs, was he? :eek:;):)

He’s just a regular old whitetail. I have only ever seen 2 or 3 like this. They used to have a couple in the large herd which took up residence in the National Institute for Standards in Technology campus not far from me. I’m not sure what causes it, but there is an overpopulation of deer around here, and it is almost like they are becoming domesticated. It’s funny, I spent a lot of time in the woods and on the river growing up, and practically never saw a deer. Now it is a rare day I don’t see one just right here in the middle of suburbia.
Thanks for the info, Tom. :)
As others have mentioned, I think there are lots of deer everywhere these days. In the little town in northern Michigan where we vacation for a week or two each August, deer right in town have become quite common. In August 2020, I'd walk for an hour between 6:30 and 7:30am, and several days I ran into the same 2 does and 2 fawns at the same intersection where the main north-south road meets a little side street. Of course the entire town is within a half-mile of Lake Huron, and even in town, the land that doesn't have buildings or other development is basically cedar thickets/swamps/marshes. Here's a pic (taken from a distance of about 10 feet) of a deer my daughter and I encountered one afternoon in a front yard right across from a busy restaurant/distillery/microbrewery:
deer.2017.jpg
Even where I live, 2nd largest city in Michigan with greater metro area over half a million people, I think there are deer living near golf courses, etc. I was walking through a local college campus in late July, about 200 feet from "the X-axis" of our city coordinate system (the road that divides the city between North and South addresses, although I was about 2.25 miles east of "the origin" downtown). I crossed a little wooden bridge over a narrow but deep wooded ravine, and noticed an 8-point buck browsing on the undergrowth about 50 feet from me down in the ravine.

In Pennsylvania we have about 1.5 million whitetail. The PA Game Commission says the goal is to get the herd size down to approximately 1 deer per square mile, which would be 50,000. That's a pretty big goal.
Just break it into more manageable pieces. :rolleyes:
Year 1: cut the herd to 1/3 its current size = .5 million = 500,000
Year 2: "decimate" (cut to 1/10 its size) the herd = 50,000 DONE! :D:thumbsup::cool:
Venison for everybody in PA! You could probably export some and balance the state budget!

- GT

Last edited:
Even where I live, 2nd largest city in Michigan with greater metro area over half a million people, I think there are deer living near golf courses, etc. I was walking through a local college campus in late July, about 200 feet from "the X-axis" of our city coordinate system (the road that divides the city between North and South addresses, although I was about 2.25 miles east of "the origin" downtown). I crossed a little wooden bridge over a narrow but deep wooded ravine, and noticed an 8-point buck browsing on the undergrowth about 50 feet from me down in the ravine.
- GT
Excellent description of that location on your city’s grid system:thumbsup::thumbsup:. I could find that bridge, no problem at all.

Just break it into more manageable pieces. :rolleyes:
Year 1: cut the herd to 1/3 its current size = .5 million = 500,000
Year 2: "decimate" (cut to 1/10 its size) the herd = 50,000 DONE! :D:thumbsup::cool:
Venison for everybody in PA! You could probably export some and balance the state budget!
But we mustn't hurt Bambi!

Yech.

Is the college named after somebody I share a first name with?
Yes, sir! That would be "Saint", right? ;)
It's a beautiful campus. I spent most of my career teaching math at a Protestant college in the same city, and was proud of the fact that across a major highway that bordered our campus, we had an "ecosystem preserve". But I've been doing a lot of "urban walking" since the pandemic hit, and this summer, I started visiting the Catholic college, since it's closer to my house. Their entire campus is sort of a nature preserve! (And just across the "X-axis" from the Catholic college is Temple Emanuel. I don't think there is a mosque nearby so we could have all the "Abrahamic religions" represented.)

- GT

Yes, sir! That would be "Saint", right? ;)
It's a beautiful campus. I spent most of my career teaching math at a Protestant college in the same city, and was proud of the fact that across a major highway that bordered our campus, we had an "ecosystem preserve". But I've been doing a lot of "urban walking" since the pandemic hit, and this summer, I started visiting the Catholic college, since it's closer to my house. Their entire campus is sort of a nature preserve! (And just across the "X-axis" from the Catholic college is Temple Emanuel. I don't think there is a mosque nearby so we could have all the "Abrahamic religions" represented.)

- GT
I couldn’t bother to figure out how to measure a distance in Google Earth on mobile (I-pad), so after figuring out which city, finding the grid origin by using the street names (NE, SE, etc.), and getting the approximate latitude and longitude of the origin, I computed the latitude and longitude of a point your stated distance east of there, using a program I wrote for my calculator a while ago using these formulae:
e0yQi1T.jpg

Then I verified that my initial guess as to the location of the college was close to my computed point. As a math teacher, I assume you would approve. Maybe it will in some way make up for me failing algebra II twice in high school.

Back