"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Congrats on the yellow CV 3347, Jer! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
I think that model is a great stockman, 3 springs and all. I have a saw cut bone 6347 that a BF member basically made me buy to get the Case canoe I really wanted, and I'm sure glad he did force me to take it! :rolleyes:
I also have an LT347 like yours, but mine is NOT a mess. Here are the springs and a photo of the unkrinked blades in the handle:
View attachment 1469447
View attachment 1469449

- GT
This is what making knives when your sober is supposed to look like :D

I had a good day at an antique mall in a small farm town.
8hDICVh.jpg

The Bowie with the wooden handle looks like it was chrome plated, and therefore from a factory somewhere. The Bowie with the electrical tape handle, not so much. The little ones are a Hammer Brand(the littler), and an Imperial (the longer).
And the top two, Lord knows.

I had a good day at an antique mall in a small farm town.
8hDICVh.jpg

The Bowie with the wooden handle looks like it was chrome plated, and therefore from a factory somewhere. The Bowie with the electrical tape handle, not so much. The little ones are a Hammer Brand(the littler), and an Imperial (the longer).
And the top two, Lord knows.
Congrats on the new acquisitions, Jer! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
The antique mall wasn't in Lake Odessa, was it?
Last Christmas, I got a gift certificate for the Lake Odessa antique mall, but I didn't get there before COVID hit. I should have gone this summer, but now I'm scared to go again because of the pandemic's recent exponential growth. I wondered if that mall would be a mask-wearing venue.

- GT

Congrats on the new acquisitions, Jer! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
The antique mall wasn't in Lake Odessa, was it?
Last Christmas, I got a gift certificate for the Lake Odessa antique mall, but I didn't get there before COVID hit. I should have gone this summer, but now I'm scared to go again because of the pandemic's recent exponential growth. I wondered if that mall would be a mask-wearing venue.
- GT
Thank you. It was a great day.

Lake Odessa is a mask -wearing venue. There are two malls next door to each other and a smaller one out-board of downtown. There's also a thrift shop(?) next to the outboard mall. Just don't go to the big ones when they're having a cabin fever sale.

This recent coup of mine was from Parma, west of Jackson, a mainly masked venue with a few maskless jerks. (I still have rage issues, but I'm working on it.) Parma is so small that almost every business is the Parma So and So.

Nashville has a couple of antique malls. (N and W of Parma, N of Battle Creek) The Boardroom is serious about masks, and their chatelaine is enchanting. (Feel free to tell her the guy in the big canvas hat said so.)

Thank you. It was a great day.

Lake Odessa is a mask -wearing venue. There are two malls next door to each other and a smaller one out-board of downtown. There's also a thrift shop(?) next to the outboard mall. Just don't go to the big ones when they're having a cabin fever sale.

This recent coup of mine was from Parma, west of Jackson, a mainly masked venue with a few maskless jerks. (I still have rage issues, but I'm working on it.) Parma is so small that almost every business is the Parma So and So.

Nashville has a couple of antique malls. (N and W of Parma, N of Battle Creek) The Boardroom is serious about masks, and their chatelaine is enchanting. (Feel free to tell her the guy in the big canvas hat said so.)
Your helpful info is much appreciated, Jer! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)

- GT

I won't put a handle on this just yet.
wHgxcct.jpg

When I cut off the duct tape, I found it had just the one pin-hole at the butt end. The blade-side pin hole was very easy to drill with a not very special bit. I tried shaving a common nail with the edge, and I think the whole thing isn't any harder than a common nail. So I'll want to try hardening and tempering before I put any wood on it. An early project for my new propane forge when I get it set up.

screened porch screened porch Jer you are the only other person I ever encountered who knows Hereward The Wake...cheers
How about BeefMaster?....looks perfect for dealing with the meat at barbys..

screened porch screened porch Jer you are the only other person I ever encountered who knows Hereward The Wake...cheers
How about BeefMaster?....looks perfect for dealing with the meat at barbys..
I have a biographical novel about him on my Nook, from the days when copyright-free books could be downloaded for free without going through a service. Better make sure that stays charged.
BeefMaster is good. I'll see what kind of edge it takes.
BeefMaster would be a good name for an exceptional gaucho knife, too.

Back