"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

:) The other day I made a dessert that's totally non PC-if the Health Police got wind of it I'd be looking at a long stretch on bread&water:D But worth it:cool:

St. Emilion au chocolat;) Talk about rich! But easy to do.

Take about 125g of unsalted butter when soft mix with about the same quantity of sugar until a smooth paste, add the yolk of an egg. Bring a cup of milk to the boil and let cool. Meanwhile, melt down 175-200g and mix with a little water, then introduce the hot milk&butter mix to the chocolate and make a smooth warm runny liquid. Put several small Italian Macaroons in a Souffle dish or loaf tin, sprinkle on your spirit of choice to moisten the macaroons. Calva, Cognac, Brandy or your fine Bourbon work nicely. Pour the choc sauce over the biscuits then put another layer of macaroons, more sauce until none left.

Put in the fridge for at least 12 hours. Serve with thick whipped cream. You can't eat much as it's dead rich and soft with a slight booze kick too.

How many calories? The wreck of a waistline?:eek: Don't ask:D:D
Will you'd love the Gundel palacsinta, replace macarons layers by (thin) pancakes covered with grated walnuts -previously macerated in rum or cognac- to a height of 10-12 cm. Cover with your chocolate sauce, cut it like a cake, eat it hot or cold, then you can face Alföld's winter! :D

Peregrin Peregrin r redden r redden I am so sorry for you loss.

+1 :( Really feel for you guys :thumbsup:

So another archery elk season has come and gone and though I did not manage to bring in an elk, 2 of my buddies did. 2 elk out of 5 of us for a season is not too bad, there are years when none of us manage a harvest. Regardless, it was fun helping them field dress and pack out the animals, and the meals afterwards are always fantastic.

There isn't anything a whole lot better than traipsing around the woods, especially when the leaves are starting to turn, the air is turning crisp and beginning to smell of autumn, and the idea that pumpkin pie and apple cider are pretty much right around the corner. Autumn is my absolute favorite time of year, as it is a season that ushers in so many of my favorite things: Cooler weather, beautiful scenery, savory foods, dark beers, and oddly enough, people tend to become just a little bit nicer....

I managed to capture some nice pictures this last weekend during my hunt. My apologies for the low quality, I didn't realize there was a giant smudge on the lens until later. However, I think you will still get to appreciate the colors and scenery still.

RLMnB7i.jpg

ywKEYAL.jpg

It was nice to see some older growth trees back in where I was tramping about.

VtTG2Oy.jpg

ElHokAs.jpg

Some splashes of autumn color.

OomSOY9.jpg

XKgjfXy.jpg

Qodsgti.jpg

Some miscellaneous landscapes.

solgqUd.jpg

Tm0pyo8.jpg

DrrSUCi.jpg

Here is an old man... He has been here a loooong time... Pictures certainly do not do him justice.

8Tz0PYH.jpg

P7FV7Yc.jpg

Wc4PV7h.jpg

And of course, I can't talk about amazing meals and not show off a little... Here is some butterflied elk tenderloin that I had just finished grilling up (Please pardon the modern knife in the picture...)

Q0TyiMJ.jpg

That tenderloin pairs superbly with bacon, potatoes and peppers, onions and fresh chanterelle and lobster mushrooms. A veritable feast!

929ByFL.jpg

All in all, it was a fantastic weekend and a wonderful season. I will be going back out in December for late season, I will be looking for a deer then.

Fantastic post Dylan, and incredibly beautiful pics. Thanks :) :thumbsup:

I managed to capture some nice pictures this last weekend during my hunt. My apologies for the low quality, I didn't realize there was a giant smudge on the lens until later. However, I think you will still get to appreciate the colors and scenery still

Pàdruig that's some absolutely beautiful country thanks for posting

Born this morning, at 10.01 AM, Pacific time, Duncan Joseph Campagna!
9 lbs. 1 oz, red hair, blue eyes, big voice - beautiful kid!!
4th grandchild, first boy, and my youngest's first child. He and his wife, and the baby are doing great!!
Duncan C 2017.JPG

Congratulations, Charlie! That boy has a name befitting his size! Hoping for a speedy recovery for the mom and good health for everyone.

:) The other day I made a dessert that's totally non PC-if the Health Police got wind of it I'd be looking at a long stretch on bread&water:D But worth it:cool:

St. Emilion au chocolat;) Talk about rich! But easy to do.

Take about 125g of unsalted butter when soft mix with about the same quantity of sugar until a smooth paste, add the yolk of an egg. Bring a cup of milk to the boil and let cool. Meanwhile, melt down 175-200g of 75% choc and mix with a little water, then introduce the hot milk&butter mix to the chocolate and make a smooth warm runny liquid. Put several small Italian Macaroons in a Souffle dish or loaf tin, sprinkle on your spirit of choice to moisten the macaroons. Calva, Cognac, Brandy or your fine Bourbon work nicely. Pour the choc sauce over the biscuits then put another layer of macaroons, more sauce until none left.

Put in the fridge for at least 12 hours. Serve with thick whipped cream. You can't eat much as it's dead rich and soft with a slight booze kick too.

How many calories? The wreck of a waistline?:eek: Don't ask:D:D

Wow! This calls for a pic.:thumbsup: (Could this be the beginnings of a new thread: Calories and Cutlery'. :D)

May I add my congratulations to you and Joanne! That's wonderful Charlie--the Campagna name lives on with Duncan Joseph Campagna:thumbsup: All is well in the world for awhile with the birth of a grand child! I have 10 and counting:)

Congratulations on the new addition to your family, Charlie! Did he get his first TC Barlow yet? ;)

+1 to everything Gary said. I couldn't agree more. I've never eaten elk meat, but that photo sure does make me want to try.

Thanks for sharing the photos and story, Dylan. Much appreciated.

Edited to add: Oops! I was referring to Gary's reply about loving fall and enjoying Dylan's post. I missed the fact that there was a whole other page waiting for me to view. :oops: Congrats Charlie!

Congratulations Charlie and Joanne!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Happy to hear Mom and Son are doing well :D
Happy to hear your Good name lives on!!:thumbsup::thumbsup: That is always SO :cool::cool::cool:

Now I understand the TC choice....Copperhead!!
Us Red heads gotta stick together!! :D:D:D

Dave

Ha ha, thanks Greg!
And Lloyd - ten!! Wow; I'm envious!!
I've already started a collection for him, Gary. The first knives in it are his late Grandfather's horticultural knives from his life's work. Next will be Barlows and other samples of my SFOs as we go along!

Back