"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

5K Qs 5K Qs GT, while some may consider New Orleans hell and it was frozen over, I'm pretty sure it is the other place that would have to freeze over for the hospital to actually compensate me. This week can and should eat it.

ETA: Randy's signature reminds me of an old quote a buddy used to say: "Life is full of trials and tribulations, misery is optional."

Last edited:
I hear you, Shawn! Hope this week is MUCH better for you and yours! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)

- GT

Thanks, GT! Heading out soon to brunch for a delayed birthday celebration for my wife. Hopefully some Chicken & Waffles or Lox & Toast or Eggs Benedict or Shrimp & Grits and a Bloody Mary will kick this week off in the right direction.

Been dragging my feet on those that and its not a bright idea to turn on the wax pen machine in a house with the heat running. But finally finished and heading to the casting shop!

NyWVQio.jpg

the first skull attempted from my finished mold. Well it was one of the error skulls that I decided to experiment with.

vKGAhbZ.jpg

My typical Saturday morning, pocket knife "photo shoot" ... Mr Gray wants my Stainless Cut Co scout knife and Mr Kitty is wondering "who the heck takes pictures of knives" ? :D

View attachment 832668

View attachment 832669

- Kevin

Very nice shots there, I know a lot of people rage against squirrels but they're beautiful acrobats and their insolence makes them appealing :D I can't help thinking that Mr. Ginger is actually dreaming of squirrel dinner though, my cat when she first turned up as a stray de-squirreled the place in a matter of days:eek::mad: and our European Red Squirrels are a lot better mannered, pretty than your burly American Greys :)

Thanks, Will

Very nice shots there, I know a lot of people rage against squirrels but they're beautiful acrobats and their insolence makes them appealing :D I can't help thinking that Mr. Ginger is actually dreaming of squirrel dinner though, my cat when she first turned up as a stray de-squirreled the place in a matter of days:eek::mad: and our European Red Squirrels are a lot better mannered, pretty than your burly American Greys :)

Thanks, Will
Will... I present to you a photo shoot we will call "Acrobats and Insolence" :D

SKIRL2.JPG SKIRL3.JPG SKIRL4.JPG SKIRL5.JPG

- Kevin

Loving the squirrel pics, Kevin!

You guys might have rid me of the gris gris. When we got to brunch this morning, my father-in-law handing me a shopping bag. He said, "I was digging through some drawers at the house and found this old thing."

IMG_20180121_172054_2.jpg

A Lansky kit and an EZE-Lap Diamond Hone in a leather pouch! The pamphlet for the Lansky says "Copyright 1982". "I know you like knife sharpeners," he says.

This next part might sound weird, but the diamond hone has a very distinct smell that is the same smell that many of my deceased father's tools share. I don't mean generic old tool smell. My father and FIL worked together for 20+ years, and I guess it's the smell of the shop and oils used therein mixed with that "generic old tool" smell. It absolutely made my day. I have a KME and Sharpmaker and strops, so I think this old girl is going to be placed next to my dad's and grandfather's old knives and remembered fondly. I'll pull that diamond hone out from time to time for a whiff when I'm missing my dad.

Loving the squirrel pics, Kevin!

You guys might have rid me of the gris gris. When we got to brunch this morning, my father-in-law handing me a shopping bag. He said, "I was digging through some drawers at the house and found this old thing."

IMG_20180121_172054_2.jpg

A Lansky kit and an EZE-Lap Diamond Hone in a leather pouch! The pamphlet for the Lansky says "Copyright 1982". "I know you like knife sharpeners," he says.

This next part might sound weird, but the diamond hone has a very distinct smell that is the same smell that many of my deceased father's tools share. I don't mean generic old tool smell. My father and FIL worked together for 20+ years, and I guess it's the smell of the shop and oils used therein mixed with that "generic old tool" smell. It absolutely made my day. I have a KME and Sharpmaker and strops, so I think this old girl is going to be placed next to my dad's and grandfather's old knives and remembered fondly. I'll pull that diamond hone out from time to time for a whiff when I'm missing my dad.
Great story Shawn...it will truly be a gift that keeps on giving :) It's funny the little things that can help remind us of a lost loved one. My Dad passed away a little over 7 years ago and my Mom & I always think of him when we see 7:07 on a digital clock because the happiest (& probably drunkest) that we had ever seen him was when he had a 707 bowling series and won his company bowling tournament :D If you saw my post in the "Sunday Picture Show" the toilet seat shaped cribbage board was the one he always kept in his ice fishing shanty on which I bet we played over a thousand games :) I always tell people their loved ones are never gone as long as you keep those memories in your mind and heart :thumbsup:

- Kevin

Figured I would provide some updates on my Ford project. I've been rather lax in getting pictures so please accept my apologies, I promise to do better in the future.

I got the truck towed to my dad's shop and then he, my brother, and I had a discussion and came up with some semblance of a plan. My brother, who is quite the ambitious lad, was pretty set on yanking the motor and digging in. My dad, on the other hand (ever the voice of reason), thought it would behoove us to set a baseline first. Check compression, get it running for at least a few minutes so we could listen to it, diagnose any and all issues, and then embark on the rebuild.

So, compression test first: We began pulling the spark plugs and discovered that whoever put them in last really cranked on them. That, coupled with some rust action, made the extrication process rather difficult and time-consuming. However, I am very happy that we didn't break any off or damage the threading. The compression test produced positive results, showing that two of the cylinders likely have tired rings, but overall it was decent.

I went back out the next day to see about trying to get the motor running for a bit. It is worth noting that the carb that the truck came with had a cracked footing, making a proper seal impossible. I have a 4 barrel carb that I plan on putting on it but I am not in a place yet to replace the entire intake manifold just to get the truck running so I was able to scrounge up an old carb from a '69 Ford with a manual choke to put on temporarily. I installed that carb and put new spark plugs in and after some confusion on the firing order, I gave the old beast a turn of the key.

It turned over, but it was sluggish. almost as if there was some resistance somewhere. Weird.

I checked my cables, noticed that my solenoid was a bit warm, but didn't think much of it. So I gave it another go.

This time, it turned over just fine, but the engine wasn't firing up. So I turned the ignition off to kill it and noticed nothing happened. It kept trying to turn over. No amount of key jiggling was having any effect. I promptly bailed out of the cab and rushed over to the battery and noticing that the solenoid was smoking, I quickly yanked the negative line off the battery and that killed it.

Off to the parts store to get a new solenoid. Got it installed and gave it another go. Still sluggish. A couple more goes made it to where it almost wasn't doing anything. So I yanked the starter out and tested it, noted that it was bad and headed back to the parts store to pick up a new one.

Installing the new starter made a remarkable difference so I poured some gas in the carb to help it along and gave it yet another go. This time, I could tell it wanted to fire up so I checked to make sure I was getting fuel and then poured a bit more gas in the carb and attempted to fire it up once again.

The engine came to life with a mighty roar! My excitement and adrenaline levels instantly rose and then I quickly realized that the RPMs were rapidly climbing and I had to kill it before something blew up.

Excited, half deaf from the deafening roar (muffler is literally blown in half), and experiencing a smoke filled shop (from the oil used in the compression test), I dove in to see why my engine wanted to commit suicide. I quickly realized that I hooked up my throttle backwards, so it was wide freaking open....

Oops....

I remedied that and attempted to try again. At this point, my dad thinks it might be vapor locked because it didn't want to fire up. So we gave it a little while and then tried again. Still nothing. I started to think about the quality of fuel that might be in the tank. Though the previous owners said they put a full tank in it, they also said the truck had been sitting for at least six months and there is no way of knowing how old the gas was or even how truthful the folks were... So my dad thinks the gas is degraded and that we might be sucking up the water that is likely on the bottom.

So I yanked out the seat to get a look at the tank (that was a real pain in the butt, by the way, broke a few bolts....). While I am doing this, my dad takes a look at the distributor cap and when doing so, it completely falls apart.

So the next course of action:
  • Drain the fuel tank, put in an additive and fresh gas.
  • Replace distributor. (Going to upgrade from the old school points while I'm at it)
  • Get motor running
Sorry, that was rather long winded but I am pretty excited to get into it finally and I think steady progress is going to be made.

(I realize that there might be confusion in regards to my dad. I might have stated here or elsewhere that my dad passed away almost two years ago. I was adopted so that is who I considered my dad. This "current" dad is my biological dad and I don't really know of any other way to describe him.)

Noticed Photobucket are now trying to flog Third Party Hosting at $100 a year :rolleyes:

Noticed Photobucket are now trying to flog Third Party Hosting at $100 a year :rolleyes:

"a day late and a dollar short" so to speak. They finally figured out what was driving their site usage. But by now most folks have found other alternatives and deleted their accounts. I'm half there. I still need to download my pics and delete my account, but I'm currently posting pics from Imgur.

I've downloaded all my photos and deleted them from their site. Even if it was free again, the pop-ups on a PC were unbearable. The phone app worked alright but the app for the ipad was terrible and had more bugs than a no-tell motel.

Back