"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

We didn’t make it above freezing until after 1:00 this afternoon in NC. I took the opportunity to go out and clean off the cars and shovel the driveway. I also fed the birds, again. They had eaten about another 5 lbs. of food since Tuesday morning.

Randy, that is great news. Glad to hear.

He He - A picture of one of our sheds in the snow today. Suddenly, I've got an urge to cover up something on the wood shed roof.

wbSQABE.jpg

Being a New Englander living in the south, the snowstorm from yesterday left us with about five inches of snow, after cleaning off the cars and puttering around for a bit, I decided to fire up the lawn tractor and tool around in the yard for an hour or so. It was fun tearing it up in the snow, and as a bonus it got the battery topped off so win win. My wife was working from home and told her boss and another on the conference call what I was up to, they wanted to see video...lol....I think they were jealous.

Being a New Englander living in the south, the snowstorm from yesterday left us with about five inches of snow, after cleaning off the cars and puttering around for a bit, I decided to fire up the lawn tractor and tool around in the yard for an hour or so. It was fun tearing it up in the snow, and as a bonus it got the battery topped off so win win. My wife was working from home and told her boss and another on the conference call what I was up to, they wanted to see video...lol....I think they were jealous.
So you're not sharing that video with us? :D

It is supposed to get above freezing today (still 26 outside right now) and not get below freezing again for the rest of the forecast through next week. Maybe this snow and ice will finally melt off everywhere.

Well this is interesting. "Case Knives" has joined as a new member, and from their profile it looks for all the world like an actual company-affiliated account. I wonder if they are going to request a manufacturer sub-forum here? That would be fun, especially if they participated regularly.

Well this is interesting. "Case Knives" has joined as a new member, and from their profile it looks for all the world like an actual company-affiliated account. I wonder if they are going to request a manufacturer sub-forum here? That would be fun, especially if they participated regularly.
Oh! Oh! Who will be the first poster to ask why they aren't making Barlows? :p

Thank GOD this work week is over!
Amen, brother.
Sounds like you gentlemen had a tough week; I hope the weekend gives you a "reset" and much needed R&R. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Speaking of a bad week: :eek::thumbsdown::(:mad:
I was never a superstitious person growing up, but it seems as though, without my conscious choice, that's changing. At halftime of the Saints/Vikings game, with the Saints down 17-0, I trimmed my Playoff Beard down to a goatee. The Saints came back! Took the lead! Lost the game on a last second play.

...Maybe I should have shaved the beard completely.

Does this mean I'm going to like baseball now?
Freezing rain last night and below freezing until noon or so today. 90% of Interstates are closed. I spent 45 minutes deicing the car, getting the doors to open and the defroster working. Had to drive to the hospital where my daughter is having a minor procedure done to her eye. Mommy and I are quite nervous about our baby going under anesthesia. I've got her Peanut on me as a worry stone, though. Stay safe, everyone.
Well, after making our 19-month old daughter fast for 17 hours, not have water for 5 hours, wake up early, go outside in the 20* weather, and sit around a cold hospital room in a gown for 3.5 hours, we were told that the scheduling nurse made a mistake and shouldn't have scheduled us to be in for another 2-3 weeks.

We were all so tired, and my wife and I so angry that as soon as we got home, we ate lunch and went to sleep.
Thanks, y'all. We'll be changing doctors and hospital networks shortly. It's been pretty terrible from her first ever doctor's appointment, and this was just the icing on the cake. We're so far into this procedure, though, that we are all but stuck with just rescheduling with the same hospital and doctor. We appreciate your thoughts.

I'm really glad that the only compentent person we encountered today was the anesthesiologist. She's the one who asked the right questions that revealed an answer that halted proceedings. Had she carried on as normal and not asked the questions, we could have wound up in the ICU.
Shawn, with the Saints game, the weather, and the surgery SNAFU with your daughter, you must be ECSTATIC that the week is almost over! The situation with your daughter sounds almost inexcusable. :thumbsdown::mad: Most, if not all, of my health care providers now have policies that if a patient is late or doesn't show up for an appointment, there's some kind of financial penalty. And I can understand that. But it ought to work both ways; did they offer you any kind of compensation for their screw-up with your daughter?? I'd be surprised if they did!

Anyway, I hope everything eventually works out with your little girl's health! :thumbsup::thumbsup: When your own child is involved, "minor surgery" sounds like an oxymoron!

I heard from the people at the apartment complex I'm trying to get into today and they told me that an apartment might be available next week and asked if I would be ready that quick. Of course I was ecstatic and responded with "yes just let me know when" I have my fingers crossed in hopes it happens.
I really appreciate my kids and their families for putting up with me and putting me up but I am so ready to have my own place. I hate living out of boxes and I just can't help feeling like I'm imposing. The apartment complex I'm trying to get into is for folks over 55 only and was built in 2013 so it is a fairly new structure and I think it will will be a great place for me.
This may seem like a dumb post but I just got so excited I had to tell someone.
Congrats on the good news about an apartment, Randy! I hope you can get settled in to a place of your own ASAP! :thumbsup::cool::) Let me know when you've got a new address, and I can return those knives I'm renting from you. ;) And I REALLY appreciate seeing the addition to your signature, just like old times!! :thumbsup::cool::D I've missed that; it was always an inspiration to me to see those "words to live by" in each of your posts!

Hope all y'all in the south are surviving the cold temps, snow and ice. It's been in the mid 70's here in Arizona. ;) I'm just trying to enjoy it while I can -- the moving truck leaves for Minnesota next week. :confused:
Hope you have a safe and trouble-free move to MN, Barrett! :thumbsup::thumbsup::) And that you and your family have a quick adjustment to the new surroundings and circumstances!

He He - A picture of one of our sheds in the snow today. Suddenly, I've got an urge to cover up something on the wood shed roof.

wbSQABE.jpg
Nothing personal, ED, but you're a nutcase!! :eek::p:p What knife are you thinking of sticking up there this time?!?

- GT

and the boss took an extra day off in the middle of the week, so she had to pack 5 days of "management" into 3 days of office time.......

I have an unexpected 4-day weekend this weekend, starting today, which is very cool. I definitely need the break.

And FINALLY, after living in a simulation of Antarctica for a couple of weeks, it is FIFTY-THREE degrees outside right now. The furnace caught up to the thermostat and we have turned off the extra space heaters. I shudder to think what the utility bill is going to look like.

Back