"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Watching the snow pile up here in NC, wife worked from home today, and I went to the store before it hit mostly to watch all the crazies pile their carts full of stuff LOL. Back when I lived up north in NH I wouldn't think twice about hopping in my car and taking a joy ride during a storm...now that we've been in the south for a few years, I've leaned to just stay put when the snow and ice comes. They just don't have the equipment to deal with the roads, and folks around these parts are just downright dangerous when the roads are slippery. Stay safe Y'all! :)

Snow has stopped here, but getting really cold (for South Carolina) tonight. Roads will be slicker than snot in the morning. Of course the high will be 62 Sunday..go figure.

Haven’t been around much lately but just wanted to check in. My mom had a bad fall on December 10th and passed away very unexpectedly due to complications on January 4th. I have missed the Porch and the comaraderie here, and am going to try to be more active.
Oh man. I am so sorry to hear that! I lost my mom 10 years ago yesterday. It was pretty tough. Hang in there sir.

It’s a snow day here in NC. Plenty of the white stuff falling. Roads are already covered, and the temp is supposed to fall throughout the day. That’s okay, I have plenty of food, and plenty of knives, to keep me company.
Nuts! We had less than an inch here in Virginia? What is going on with this climate or weather or whatever?

You may have seen my recent sales on the Exchange. I am buying another shotgun and in true form, selling a few knives and one watch which I don't wear much at all. This will more than cover but I also have other issues.

Have I lost my mind? Well, that's always a genuine question but no, I don't think so. I almost always try to balance my "toys" with sales and purchases.

Anybody else do this?

Well, after making our 19-month old daughter fast for 17 hours, not have water for 5 hours, wake up early, go outside in the 20* weather, and sit around a cold hospital room in a gown for 3.5 hours, we were told that the scheduling nurse made a mistake and shouldn't have scheduled us to be in for another 2-3 weeks.

We were all so tired, and my wife and I so angry that as soon as we got home, we ate lunch and went to sleep.

Well, after making our 19-month old daughter fast for 17 hours, not have water for 5 hours, wake up early, go outside in the 20* weather, and sit around a cold hospital room in a gown for 3.5 hours, we were told that the scheduling nurse made a mistake and shouldn't have scheduled us to be in for another 2-3 weeks.

We were all so tired, and my wife and I so angry that as soon as we got home, we ate lunch and went to sleep.
Oh. I would be fuming! You're pretty calm based on what you went through. Dammit. This should not happen. My wife is a Nurse Practitioner (retired). Almost a doctor. I encouraged her to go ahead, so I could just clip coupons but, no.
I showed her this. She was disgusted. Good on you for being relatively calm.

That's pretty rough, sounds like a little nap time was well deserved. Hope things go smoother in the future for all of you.

Thanks, y'all. We'll be changing doctors and hospital networks shortly. It's been pretty terrible from her first ever doctor's appointment, and this was just the icing on the cake. We're so far into this procedure, though, that we are all but stuck with just rescheduling with the same hospital and doctor. We appreciate your thoughts.

I'm really glad that the only compentent person we encountered today was the anesthesiologist. She's the one who asked the right questions that revealed an answer that halted proceedings. Had she carried on as normal and not asked the questions, we could have wound up in the ICU.

I heard from the people at the apartment complex I'm trying to get into today and they told me that an apartment might be available next week and asked if I would be ready that quick. Of course I was ecstatic and responded with "yes just let me know when" I have my fingers crossed in hopes it happens.
I really appreciate my kids and their families for putting up with me and putting me up but I am so ready to have my own place. I hate living out of boxes and I just can't help feeling like I'm imposing. The apartment complex I'm trying to get into is for folks over 55 only and was built in 2013 so it is a fairly new structure and I think it will will be a great place for me.
This may seem like a dumb post but I just got so excited I had to tell someone.

I heard from the people at the apartment complex I'm trying to get into today and they told me that an apartment might be available next week and asked if I would be ready that quick. Of course I was ecstatic and responded with "yes just let me know when" I have my fingers crossed in hopes it happens.
I really appreciate my kids and their families for putting up with me and putting me up but I am so ready to have my own place. I hate living out of boxes and I just can't help feeling like I'm imposing. The apartment complex I'm trying to get into is for folks over 55 only and was built in 2013 so it is a fairly new structure and I think it will will be a great place for me.
Hope it works out for you!

Good news, Randy! Best of luck.

Hope all y'all in the south are surviving the cold temps, snow and ice. It's been in the mid 70's here in Arizona. ;) I'm just trying to enjoy it while I can -- the moving truck leaves for Minnesota next week. :confused:

Wurrwolf, very sorry you had to put your child through that, and for nothing. I can stand myself being jerked around a little bit, but I have 0 patience when it is happening to my wife or daughter. Hopefully things get resolved quickly and everything goes well.

Randy, I hope 2018 brings you peace and prosperity. This new location sounds like a good place for you.

Fingers crossed for you Randy. Hope things start moving in your direction.

Back