"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

As far as I remember, Duncan has a very nice old Bowie collection himself :) :thumbsup:

LOL! I think the blade is 10" Charlie, so a bit bigger than my regular carries! :D Not really my thing, but I couldn't resist picking it up from a Sheffield antique shop a couple of years ago :thumbsup:

View attachment 860751

View attachment 860752

View attachment 860753
I am not Into Big Bowies , but I am intrigued by this big one Jack . Looks like some very nice Stag on it . Looks like maybe the Spine of the blade has been Filed or Worked . The Pommel area looks interesting but a little on the small sized for such a big blade . I would also have picked it up on a whim if the price was right . I do appreciate the skill and workmanship that goes into a piece like this one . Thanks for showing it Jack .

Harry

Nice knife, Jack. I now have a hair brush that matches my escape knife. ;) If we start an escape knives and hair brushes topic, I'll be ready! This is the lowest end brush for the brand (around 10 bucks) but I've heard that their high end stuff is quite nice.

lTPf09w.jpg

UtepoKs.jpg

I am not Into Big Bowies , but I am intrigued by this big one Jack . Looks like some very nice Stag on it . Looks like maybe the Spine of the blade has been Filed or Worked . The Pommel area looks interesting but a little on the small sized for such a big blade . I would also have picked it up on a whim if the price was right . I do appreciate the skill and workmanship that goes into a piece like this one . Thanks for showing it Jack .

Harry

Thanks Harry, yes the spine is file-worked. I am told that Sheffield blades of that size always had to be forged, not least because the machinery wasn't big enough to blank them out. When I was a kid, and lot of cutlers were still producing Big Bowies, primarily for export, you could pick them up in Sheffield fairly inexpensively. I don't imagine most of them were intended for anything other than hanging on the wall though :thumbsup:

Nice knife, Jack. I now have a hair brush that matches my escape knife. ;) If we start an escape knives and hair brushes topic, I'll be ready! This is the lowest end brush for the brand (around 10 bucks) but I've heard that their high end stuff is quite nice.

lTPf09w.jpg

UtepoKs.jpg

Always a treat to see that wonderful Rodgers Escape Knife Jake :) Nice hairbrush too :) :thumbsup:

Thanks! I am going to have to look up the other royal warrant holders. You probably see the mark all the time but it's the first time that I've noticed it on goods sold in the USA except old pocket knives.

Very cool old knife Jake the hair brush too only problem for me is my hair has already escaped. :eek::(

Thanks! I am going to have to look up the other royal warrant holders. You probably see the mark all the time but it's the first time that I've noticed it on goods sold in the USA except old pocket knives.

There's a list online, I remember looking it up for some reason a couple of years back. By coincidence, I was talking to a guy the other week who had something to do with the granting of royal warrants (he wasn't the Earl of Wharncliffe! :D). We had a long conversation about knives, and he raised the subject in relation to Arthur Wright & Son. They used to be seen on all sorts of things, from cigarettes to gin, but I don't think they're granted as much as in the past, and possibly don't have the same cachet.

I was impressed the first few score of times I saw "By appointment to Her Madge", but then I tried looking for anything that hadn't been so appointed. Kind of sad to hear it's declined.

Anyone who's ever had Laphroaig (especially the 18 y.o.) could tell it's royalty without reading the label!

Haven't had the 18 year, but the last two glasses of my Quarter Cask bottle were spilt between my brother and I after the birth of my daughter. Haven't had a chance to pick up a nice bottle of scotch since (kids are expensive!), but I definitely love the Islays.

You can search through the entire list of Royal Warrant holders here:

http://www.royalwarrant.org

There's certainly some interesting stuff. This was one of my favorites. :D

lJYSLfY.png

And here's one I had around the house. I'd say Prince Charles has pretty good taste in whisky (although I personally prefer Lagavulin). :thumbsup:

AblghJ8.jpg

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

Very cool old knife Jake the hair brush too only problem for me is my hair has already escaped. :eek::(

Haha! They make shaving brushes too!

You can search through the entire list of Royal Warrant holders here:

http://www.royalwarrant.org

There's certainly some interesting stuff. This was one of my favorites. :D

lJYSLfY.png

And here's one I had around the house. I'd say Prince Charles has pretty good taste in whisky (although I personally prefer Lagavulin). :thumbsup:

AblghJ8.jpg

Thanks for the link!

I love bowies! Are they as practical as an SAK? Nope. Let’s be honest though, we’re on a forum discussing knives. Practicality long ago stopped being a serious consideration for most of us.

You have a particularly nice one Christian :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack. I assume you’re talking about Blondie? She’s great, but compared to my other lean and svelte bowie, Blondie is the homely cousin.

Thanks Jack. I assume you’re talking about Blondie? She’s great, but compared to my other lean and svelte bowie, Blondie is the homely cousin.

I forgot about your more recent acquisition Christian, is that Blondie? If so, I was actually thinking of your original Bowie, though they are both very fine :) Go on, show us a few pics, with that great-looking axe of yours please! ;) :thumbsup:

Back