"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I am still using four pieces of a five piece set of JA Hanckels Pro series knives that was given to me when I was sixteen years old and working in a restaurant kitchen, those along with a few more additions that joined my knife roll followed me into the Coast Guard and they served aboard ship for about five years, the ships always had a compliment of kitchen cutlery, but the Chiefs were pretty cool about letting me use my own blades. They saw some service in commercial kitchens for a few years after I left the service, until I moved on from cooking professionally. Somewhere along the way the Henckels paring knife went missing, I think it took a ride to the dumpster in a pizza box. I've added a few more knives to my kitchen compliment, but really could get most any job done with about five main blades for different tasks.

My knives now sit in a drawer and have been joined by some Opinels, a Buck 105, a small Frosts Mora, and occasionally I'll use one of my Puukko knives. It's pretty cool using a knife that you have had for fourty years and it's still going strong, those Henckels are the oldest knives that I have that were acquired new.

MN5QEUW.jpg

We share a birthday Buzz! My only wish today was to have homemade cheeseburgers on the grill for lunch, and they were wonderful. I even had my parents and grandparents and sister come over to the house to enjoy them with me. Then spent the afternoon playing with my daughter and watching some Nascar. Quite a nice day.

We share a birthday Buzz! My only wish today was to have homemade cheeseburgers on the grill for lunch, and they were wonderful. I even had my parents and grandparents and sister come over to the house to enjoy them with me. Then spent the afternoon playing with my daughter and watching some Nascar. Quite a nice day.

I'm glad you had an awesome birthday!!! I had an early dinner with tons of family. My Dad has the same birthday, so we always have a double celebration.

I've come to realize how disappointed I am when I go out to eat. The prices, the over abundance of salt and calories, and then the food doesn't ever taste as good as I know my wife and I can make it at home. More and more our "night out on the town" has turned into a "night out in the kitchen".

I have fun cooking, and while there are some nice places that are fun to eat, I agree - unless it's something I don't know how to cook, I like what comes out of our kitchen the best. I've been having a very difficult time digesting meat for about a week. I suspect I fell victim to an adult case of something called rotavirus. Imagine the typical stomach virus, only instead of lasting a day or two, it seems to be spread out over about a week. It's been within the last couple days that I've been able to eat a whole meal of rice and vegetables and not feel like garbage for a while afterwards.

Never thought a discussion on cast iron would catch my interest and be enjoyable to me but this one sure has. veitsi_poika veitsi_poika nice cast iron but your kitchen knives caught my attention. I am using a mix-match of knives right now but am strongly considering purchasing a knife block with actual kitchen knives in it. Problem is most are junk or priced crazy high. My dedicated kitchen knives are a Buck 119 that I use for things like quartering chickens or slicing ham, turkey and the like. 2 GEC H20's I use for basic table knives cutting everything from steak to veggies on the plate, a bottom of the line Mora that I use for boning and general duty and I have to say that Mora for a $8.00 knife it is incredible. Finally the Enzo necker is my go to knife I love this knife and use it several times a day.
I have been looking closely at a Boker 7 piece set made of 440 steel with full tang construction right at $100. Have any of you had any experience with these or do you have any recommendations.

6OuKRdH.jpg

I've never had a good block set of knives, just used various cheap kitchen knives picked up here and there, and I confess that even though I always keep my pocketknives sharp, I neglect my kitchen knives terribly. However, last year I picked up a vintage ForgeCraft knife at an "antique mall" It's about 7", full tang, and I read somewhere that they ran the steel a little bit harder than Old Hickorys. I use it for all my cooking and it's easy to keep working sharp. Cool and funky vintage to match my Wagner Ware pan. :cool::thumbsup:
View attachment 865403

I want to speak to these posts. I don't have a ForgeCraft, but we have an Old Hickory in the kitchen, and it's pretty good. Substantial blade that still cuts well, especially after I thinned the edge out. We have a custom kitchen knife that's not bad, but my favorite of our 3 kitchen knives by far is just a grocery store ChefMate or some such that I worked on. It had one of those low saber santoku style grinds, so I reground it to full flat on the belt sander to learn how to regrind, and I thinned the edge way down. Some cheap steel but with the edge so thin, I can sharpen it to 18DPS and it's the best cutting knife we have. I sharpen it maybe once a month.

Back