Carrying a Swiss army knife for EDC

This model is unavailable at some of my local knife dealers,and the ones that have it in stock sell it for double,remember it being about 20 canadian ,wharncliff avd clip point version,they had it in different colors.I have to try it out,lol,have read most of your posts,and like you,im coming back from expensive,hyped up knives that are never used to simple stuff that works.When i sell and gift most of my knives ill buy couple customs and spend rest of money on something else....

56 canadian plus shipping and tax,is the price at one of my favourite knife dealers site.Nice yellow color ,but its way too much ,will wait if something better comes up.Opinel with stag will be interesting,my uncle started working on it,ill gift him my benchmade griptilian tanto when he is done.He carves a lot too,that tanto can be useful since its similar to chisel Lol,i have no use for it.

I ordered it from Usa,will be getting it in few days,will let you know how i like it :),got the blue version.While ordering this florists knife,on same website i ran into few very nice traditional knives from France made by Au Sabot.Traditional regional patterns from France,Italy and Corsica,and the price is more than reasonable.I am thinking of getting one,with carbon steel blade,sheeps foot blade,bone handle,and it has corcscrew on it too.Another one i like is Corsican Amicu knife,with sheeps horn handle :).I cant imagine going back to modern tacticals ....now they just seem too ugly and impractical...function and looks wise.

Last edited:
I just looked up a picture of the blue one. Gotta get one now. You jerk...lol

Be veeeeeery careful Swiss! Those sheep foot blades are habit forming. A veeeery handy blade for a very wide range of uses.

Looking back when people actually used a fldingknife daily, like in the 1800's, the sheep foot was one of the most popular blade shapes around. Looking at the all the photos of the knives recovered from the sunken steamship Arabia, most the pocket knives that were being shipped to trading posts and business's upriver were either spear or sheep foot. Lots of sheepfoot knives there.

Over the past few months of using the Victoriox florist or gardener or whatever they call it, I've found out that its a darn near perfect blade shape for a pocket knife. If Victorinox made this the main blade on a tinker, recruit, or even the pioneer, I wouldn't complain at all!

I have a few Wharncliffe bladed knives and I agree, that straight edge seems to really dig it on cutting tasks. I have a Grafter Garden Tool and the Gardener, but I like the look of that blue one a lot!

If you try a Victorinox florist knife, you won't bother with an Opinel ever again...

The blade itself is chisel grind, and soooooo easy to touchup fast on any kind of stone/hone. Very very thin final edge glides through what your cutting, no matter cardboard, plastic, rope, wood. Super excellent whittling knife. Very comfortable handle with nicely rounded off edges for hard use with no hot spots. I LOVE, LOVE, the sheep foot blade. With the executive in the coin pocket and the florist in my other pocket, I feel equipped for my day, knife wise...

How does the chisel grind do for a general purpose blade? I would think it would be somewhat annoying. Does it have a tendency to wander when trying to cut in a straight line?

How does the chisel grind do for a general purpose blade? I would think it would be somewhat annoying. Does it have a tendency to wander when trying to cut in a straight line?

It does fine in everyday cutting use.

I have two chisel ground cutters, a Leatherman squirt and the Victorinox florist. The squirt with its thicker blade and more pronounced grind does wander off. But the Vic florist is ground down to a thin fine edge that you don't really know its a chisel grind. I've cut down boxes for the recycle bin and it was easy to run right down the corners of the box. This knife rally does as well as an Opinel.

Of course on rope/twine, food stuff, plastic packaging and the occasion branch from a bush that needs trimming, you don't feel any wander. Theonly things is, like an Opinel, its a little spooky how fast and easy this bade slices right through what you're cutting. I handed this knife to my son-in-law when I was out in California not long ago, and John almost ran it over his hand it cut so much easier than he though it would. Almost no resistance as it glides through what you're cutting. Like the old saying my Maxwell Smart, "missed me by that much!" He held it out and asked what the h--l was this knife. But then John is not a knife nut and issued to gas station made in China knives. You can hold a seedless cucumber over the salad bowl and free hand slice off in very neat clean cuts the cucumber. Makes you feel like one those chef at the Japanese steak house.

This knife has madam feel regret I didn't discover it sooner as it would have saved me a lot of money in knives. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this knife. And as easy as it cuts, its as easy to sharpen now and then. Just do then side of the blade till you have a burr on the flat side, then a stroke or two totally flat on the burr side and it's like a light saber. The simple design is also so light it's about like a number 6 or 7 Opinel in pocket weight, but lays flat in the pocket and is unnoticed in the pocket.

This knife brings back memories of when I carried a Buck 301 as my everyday pocketknife for 25 years before I was a knife nut. The sheep foot blade on the Buck stickman was my favorite blade, and it's a great blade for a walking around pocket knife.

Get one, you won't be sorry. Or if you're sorry, it will be that you didn't have one before now.

Last edited:
My mom has had a Victorinox Florist knife for I don't know how long. It has black nylon scales. She used to work in a flower shop, but that was until the mid-1970s, before switching careers. She always kept it in her purse. I'm her caregiver now, but she still has that knife, but obviously doesn't use it anymore. It's a fine knife; over the years I sharpened it for her many times. I suppose at this point I could appropriate it for myself, but that doesn't feel right to me. So for now, it stays in her old purse.

My mom said that when she visited Japan with my aunt to visit their ancestral hometown back in 1984, the Japanese airport security were surprised she had the knife in her purse. Maybe because she was a woman carrying a knife. They laughed about it and handed it back to her. That was back when carrying an ordinary pocketknife into a plane was still OK.

On my stockman knives, the sheepsfoot was also my favorite. I tended to use the sheepsfoot much more than even the main clip blades. I also love the traditional European-style spear point, such as on the SAKs. On slipjoint pocketknives, the spear point and sheepsfoot blades will always be my two favorites.

Jim

Last edited:
My mom has had a Victorinox Florist knife for I don't know how long. It has black nylon scales. She used to work in a flower shop, but that was until the mid-1970s, before switching careers. She always kept it in her purse. I'm her caregiver now, but she still has that knife, but obviously doesn't use it anymore. It's a fine knife; over the years I sharpened it for her many times. I suppose at this point I could appropriate it for myself, but that doesn't feel right to me. So for now, it stays in her old purse.

On my stockman knives, the sheepsfoot was also my favorite. I tended to use the sheepsfoot much more than even the main clip blades. I also love the traditional European-style spear point, such as on the SAKs. On slipjoint pocketknives, the spear point and sheepsfoot blades will always be my two favorites.

Jim

I kind of wish there were some officer's models with the second blade traded out for the sheepsfoot blade on the electrician. I guess a fella could regrind the second blade if he really wanted to, but I think it would kill a lot of the blade length.

It does fine in everyday cutting use.

I have two chisel ground cutters, a Leatherman squirt and the Victorinox florist. The squirt with its thicker blade and more pronounced grind does wander off. But the Vic florist is ground down to a thin fine edge that you don't really know its a chisel grind. I've cut down boxes for the recycle bin and it was easy to run right down the corners of the box. This knife rally does as well as an Opinel.

Of course on rope/twine, food stuff, plastic packaging and the occasion branch from a buh that needs trimming, you don't feel any wander. Theonly things is, like an Opinel, its a little spooky how fast and easy this bade slices right through what you're cutting. I handed this knife to my son-in-law when I was out in California not long ago, and John almost ran it over his hand it cut so much easier than he though it would. Almost no resistance as it glides through what you're cutting. Like the old saying my Maxwell Smart, "missed me by that much!" He held it out and asked what the h--l was this knife. But then John is not a knife nut and issued to gas station made in China knives. You can hold a seedless cucumber over the salad bowl and free hand slice off in very neat clean cuts the cucumber. Makes you feel like one those chef at the Japanese steak house.

This knife has madam feel regret I didn't discover it sooner as it would have saved me a lot of money in knives. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this knife. And as easy as it cuts, its as easy to sharpen now and then. Just do then side of the blade till you have a burr on the flat side, then a stroke or two totally flat on the burr side and it's like a light saber. The simple design is also so light it's about like a number 6 or 7 Opinel in pocket weight, but lays flat in the pocket and is unnoticed in the pocket.

This knife brings back memories of when I carried a Buck 301 as my everyday pocketknife for 25 years before I was a knife nut. The sheep foot blade on the Buck stickman was my favorite blade, and it's a great blade for a walking around pocket knife.

Get one, you won't be sorry. Or if you're sorry, it will be that you didn't have one before now.
Thanks. You convinced me to give one a try. My wallet thanks you as well. At least it's a cheap fix for my obsession. :D

Does any body have a picture showing the difference in width between a Pioneer and a Pioneer X?

If you try a Victorinox florist knife, you won't bother with an Opinel ever again.

I'll have to disagree with you and I have both sitting in front of me on my desk at this very moment. The Vic Floral is an excellent hobby knife but the Opinel with its belly is a far better food knife. I dislike flat blades for food use. Which is why both live on my desk. Best of both worlds. :)

My current EDC is still my modded Spartan with the opener layer removed to create a 91mm 'Gourmet' model. Single layer, two blades, big and small and the corkscrew to help me with knots. I don't need anything more, it's small, thin, people friendly and dirt cheap and to be honest my traditionals have been looking really lonely on the shelf for many months now since I started carrying this one.

sakedcnew.jpg

sakedcnew_1.jpg

Last edited:
J jackknife

Well, another "carry a huge tactical knife" thread in Prac Tac once again reinforces what you were saying about the tactical knife industry. I agree with your responses. Watch a few knife assault videos and it quickly shows you how strongly someone can fight back when stabbed. It solidifies my stance, I carry my SAK because it is the best tool for my day to day life!

J jackknife

Well, another "carry a huge tactical knife" thread in Prac Tac once again reinforces what you were saying about the tactical knife industry. I agree with your responses. Watch a few knife assault videos and it quickly shows you how strongly someone can fight back when stabbed. It solidifies my stance, I carry my SAK because it is the best tool for my day to day life!

As a bonafide senior citizen and 50% disabled, I'm as interested in self defense more than normal, but the level of fantasy and keyboard commando talk on the prat-tac forum is ridiculous. A simple SAK is good for this old fart going about his retired years. I'm not under any illusion that I'm Errol Flynn dueling stout with Basil Rathbone in Captain Blood or Robin Hood. If Frank Hamer carried a well used little Barlow with blades worn down to half their width, then a SAK is good enough for me. Besides, I find use for a SAK at least once a day, if not more. If only to pop off the top off nice cold one at the end of the day.

I ordered it from Usa,will be getting it in few days,will let you know how i like it :),got the blue version.While ordering this florists knife,on same website i ran into few very nice traditional knives from France made by Au Sabot.Traditional regional patterns from France,Italy and Corsica,and the price is more than reasonable.I am thinking of getting one,with carbon steel blade,sheeps foot blade,bone handle,and it has corcscrew on it too.Another one i like is Corsican Amicu knife,with sheeps horn handle :).I cant imagine going back to modern tacticals ....now they just seem too ugly and impractical...function and looks wise.

I have many SAK florists knife in red. I can send you one if you like. Just PM your address or PO box, whatever.

Tactical folders are actually what got me into SAK’s. For several years I’d been carrying a tactical folder but was afraid to use it because it was expensive and looked threatening. I ended up slipping a Classic SD into my pocket that had been laying around the house and found it to be extremely useful. If it got broken, lost, or stolen it wouldn’t be a big deal. Also, I didn’t look like a creep using it in public.

I used to think that my preference for SAK’s and other traditional knives was an unpractical preference, but now I’m beginning to rethink that assumption. For example, is a large tactical knife with a thick blade really practical? Any Pioneer model can slice just as well if not better, and with the added tools it can also pry/scrape much better. A SAK may not look as rugged or aggressive, but it certainly can be used just as hard.

Pomsbz Pomsbz I really like that mod. Everything you need and nothing you don’t!

Country_Squire - You make some good points about tactical knives. It has been my observation that many of the tactical knife picture posts on various forums and social media picture what appear to be unused, expensive "safe queens". I own my share of tactical knives but have always gravitated to a SAK for daily carry and use. Their sheer usefulness, cutting ability and variety of tools handle most of my day to day cutting challenges on the farm. If I need more cutting ability, I go with a fixed blade, machete, axe, or an appropriate power tool.

A Victorinox Classic or Executive is always in my pocket.
IMG_0217 1_edited.jpg

Country_Squire - You make some good points about tactical knives. It has been my observation that many of the tactical knife picture posts on various forums and social media picture what appear to be unused, expensive "safe queens". I own my share of tactical knives but have always gravitated to a SAK for daily carry and use. Their sheer usefulness, cutting ability and variety of tools handle most of my day to day cutting challenges on the farm. If I need more cutting ability, I go with a fixed blade, machete, axe, or an appropriate power tool.

A Victorinox Classic or Executive is always in my pocket.
View attachment 1162290

Yeah, this plus a zillion!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I always pair my BK9 with a Farmer in the sharpener pouch (with a ferro rod and a diamond sharpener) and ALWAYS carry a Huntsman in my pocket. I go no where without my Huntsman. But the BK9 and the SAK are the perfect serious outdoors combo.

Back