Recommendation? Case Large Stockman - Belt Sheath?

I himmed-and-hawed about making this a separate thread but since the original topic is what got me here, I figured I'd just keep it going.

Before I get too far, if you're really serious about something to realy fit your large Stockman, I say go with a custom job by the likes of Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley or Horsewright Horsewright . It really is the best bet. That's not to say there aren't options out there, as this thread has shown, but if you really want it to fit nice, my research says have it made.

But, since I embarked on this endeavor and others may come across this in the future, I want to follow up.

First, much to my surprise, at least for me, carrying a large Stockman in your front pocket isn't that bad. I carry minimal keys but I do carry a collapsible pair of Foster Grant reader-glasses that go into a case about the size of a Zippo (got them at Walgreens) in the same pocket and really, in my jeans, it wasn't bad. If you're used to smaller knives you'll notice it but I never found it distracting or uncomfortable and in fact, sort of liked how easy it was to locate and retrieve. In pants with looser pockets like khakis and such, I don't think I'd be as agreeable to carrying it loose in the pocket. I would be concerned it would find it's way out. But, despite this revelation, I still think this knife pattern lends itself to belt carry.

So, as I said, I ordered up a couple Case open-top belt sheaths.

One was the the Case Model 50148. Case says, "This genuine leather sheath is designed to fit the pocket knife in sideways. It can fit almost all of the medium-to-large Case patterns." Now, I figured it wouldn't fit a large Stockman, but I had some other ideas in mind and still did want to try it so...

It will not fit a large Stockman. In fact, it will not fit many of the medium knives. At least those that I have. It fits a medium Stockman and MiniCopperlock very well. But not a Mini Trapper or Canoe. You can make these fit but they are really hard to extract and the girth makes it hard to get onto a 1.5" belt.

Medium Stockman:

IMG_20190309_154033059_zps1izxsson_edit_1552175274557_zpsldzu0cru.jpg

IMG_20190309_154058646_zpsdwtoeuwg_edit_1552175366139_zpsvmfurzcb.jpg

MiniCopperlock:
IMG_20190309_154154526_zps36kle36p_edit_1552175738843_zpsd0gnpxys.jpg

And here with the ill-fitting Large Stockman:
IMG_20190309_154426478_zpsiaiwtejq_edit_1552175851083_zps9wzssyxi.jpg

I do think this is a cool little belt sheath though. I think it would be really handy camping or in a scenario where you want to get to your knife easily and/or often. And they do make a bigger version but I don't think I'll be trying that for this knife.

I also mentioned ordering a Trapper. The knife hasn't arrived but the Trapper sheath has. I don't see this sheath listed on the Case website any more but I did find it at retailer. It was listed as Model #54. Not sure if it's discontinued or what, but either way, it won't fit the large Stockman.
IMG_20190309_154450367_zpsev366dwi_edit_1552175931405_zpseheo61lx_edit_1552175962483_zpshdf11d8k.jpg

I actually emailed a dedicated Case vendor about their thoughts on Case sheath offerings for the large Stockman and they basically said there wasn't an ideal choice. As someone mentioned in this thread already, one of the flap-cover models might be best.

So, there's that. Still not sure which way I'll go and a lot depends on if I want to make this a routine carry knife but I promised to update so, um, yeah...

Hope it helps someone along the way. :)

Last edited:
Good to have options for sure, bottom line, carry the knife, even loose in the pocket, nothing like needing to cut something and suddenly remembering that 'dang I left that on my dresser...' ;)
G2

Is this different than the trapper sheath?

Item #50289
GENUINE LEATHER SHEATH - LARGE - OPEN TOP
Length Closed: 4" OVERALL

Thanks sir, takes time to form them tightly like that but it's worth the trouble.
G2

Is this different than the trapper sheath?

Item #50289
GENUINE LEATHER SHEATH - LARGE - OPEN TOP
Length Closed: 4" OVERALL

I didn't try that one Hugh. I thought about it but the vendor I emailed about recommendations carries that sheath but did not recommend it to me so I decided to skip it. Might be worth a shot though.

Thanks, wearing it today
G2

That's fantastic work Gary. Open top is my favorite type of sheath even though I only have one for my trappers. I want one for my large stockman's and even more so for my Buck 112's. Your leather choice is great and the stitching is even better. Top notch brother...

Back