Cat People

We have one cat that is slowly declining. The vet says "put him asleep"..... been there, done it. I won't this time. I will let nature take it's course. He's lost about 10 lbs. Big Siamese. He spends a lot of time on my lap. He doesn't clean himself as well as he used to which is a sure sign of the decline.

That's sad to hear, and surely not pleasant to go through.

Just a thought: When Smokey first moved in here he was really anxious going from the only home he'd known in his year of life at that point, to a completely new and alien environment. He didn't clean himself. He was all ragged looking and stinky for that first week or two. But I'd take him into the bathroom, and wet a washcloth with warm water, and just wipe, wipe, wipe until he didn't smell so bad. During the process, he purred up a storm, and seemed to relax. Maybe your fading buddy might appreciate a similar treatment?

David Mary David Mary I tried that and will do that when I can. He absolutely hates me wiping him off. I can force it. Now and then I clean his "face" which he doesn't like either, but he looks better. He's an older cat. We have a lot of cats; my wife likes them. I like them too, but not to the extent she does. She brought home a mother cat with 5 kittens and kept all of them. She was in a hedge near where she worked. The mother cat was starving trying to feed her kittens. She of course is all fattened up now. Loves to be brushed or petted but absolutely will not allow you to pick her up. I suspect she was a year old when she had the litter.

Well I know that cats generally groom socially, and I figured this is why Smokey took to my cleaning him so easily. Too bad your old codger doesn't like it. Smokey doesn't like being picked up (though he tolerates it for a few seconds whenever I weigh him), and only tolerates being petted, but he loves being brushed. He's long haired, so I think he needs it, at least once in a while... he gets it every day, though, multiple times a day. Here's hoping your old guy feels the love and has some joy before his passing. :thumbsup:

One of the things I noticed with a mother cat and her kittens is that there seems to be a permanent bond between them even after they are adult sized.

We have one gold cat (Spencer) that I guess is about 3 years old now and we have the mother..... very small cat. Spencer (the male "kitten") is huge. You don't mess with Spencer when he is lying down. But when he wants attention, he is very persistent.

At the moment, we are dealing with a flea issue that has gotten out of hand inside the house. You just keep working at it.

Last edited:
I was routinely brushing the Smokey last night, and it occurred to me that it had been quite some time since he has had matted fur. Normally he likes being brushed, but in the past, for reasons unknown, his fur would get matted and tangled in spots, and brushing it out was often an ordeal, and sometimes it was so bad that I would get the scissors out and trim off the impossible bits. Only when the brushing simply couldn't handle it without tremendously torturous tugging. And of course whether brushing or snipping the mats, he would complain and squirm about it, and I would tell him "Look fluffy buddy, you've got matter fur, and I have to take care of it".

So anyway, I was brushing him last night, and he was purring away, and I told him "You know Smokey, it's been a while since you've had matted fur". LOLOLOL!!! As soon as I said "MAtTeD FuR" his head instantly shot up and his eyes popped open for a moment and he looked right at me in what I can only describe as a moment of fight or flight response, and he only settled down once he realized the brushing continued as it had been the moment before. Haha smart little fluff monster.

Mine is poop tail.....he has an oddly large super floofy tail which will once in a while catch and hold onto a turd after he's in the box.....if u say poop tail he immediately freaks out...this has resulted in turds being flung around a time or two...oh the joys of pets

I have had a parade of cats, 5, over the last 20 years. My middle daughter has been responsible for most of them. Loved/love them all dearly, each one with a different personality. We currently have Frankie, a white female with orange details who is about 10 years old and Joey who is an 8 month old male - big floofy orange stripey kind of guy with moviestar good looks. Frank is taciturn and shy and Joe is as rambunctious as all get out. Joe spends every waking moment stalking Frank. They chase and wrestle all day/night long. It is so much fun having them in the house. Joe is always waiting at the door for me when I come home - seems like all our males have been like that. Always hurts when we lose one. We had a very nice tabby - Mo - who was 14 last Christmas when we lost him. He was sick and was not going to make it and went to sleep in front of the fireplace and did not wake up. Very sweet kitty - definitely a lap cat and very loving. He was hard to lose but Joe has done a very good job filling in. The house always seems brighter with a cat in the house.

Condolences for the loss of Mo, but I bet you don't for a second regret having known him.

Mine is poop tail.....he has an oddly large super floofy tail which will once in a while catch and hold onto a turd after he's in the box.....if u say poop tail he immediately freaks out...this has resulted in turds being flung around a time or two...oh the joys of pets

Mine does this too. I used to think it was on purpose, like some kind of revolt, but after reading your post I think I may have judged him too harshly. He's a fluff ball too, so maybe it's an accident. I've never actually witnessed the ride along in progress though.

That's nasty

Eh its only once in a blue moon a turd gets caught in the cats tail. Now if I change something in his diet and he gets the runs....man that can get a tad on the gross side. Still doesn't beat when a dog I used to have would drag his butt across the room. I'll take an occasional cat turd laying on the floor over dog butt streaks across the living room rug!!! They all puke though....and on anything and everything...nothing like coming home from work, tired ready to pass out and then you lay your head in fresh cat puke...it happened....one time and one time only not repeating that adventure

Eh its only once in a blue moon a turd gets caught in the cats tail. Now if I change something in his diet and he gets the runs....man that can get a tad on the gross side. Still doesn't beat when a dog I used to have would drag his butt across the room. I'll take an occasional cat turd laying on the floor over dog butt streaks across the living room rug!!! They all puke though....and on anything and everything...nothing like coming home from work, tired ready to pass out and then you lay your head in fresh cat puke...it happened....one time and one time only not repeating that adventure
Dog's might drag their butt on the carpet occasionally cat's stand in a litter box everyday then walk all over countertops and furniture.Gross

Boris and Douglas are resting between naps.

o0FToib.jpg

Back