Charlow Barlow History

Thanks for the kind words, the credit belongs to Sir Charlow.

I thimk the error in the Spey label, is on the bucket: Speying should be Spaying

Apparently either spelling is correct in general, but the spellings are specific!!

Here is a quote from BF's resident knife expert, and perhaps the most conversant of us re: old cutlery terminology:

BRL said:
To spey is to neuter a male animal. Done with a spey blade, or whatever else is handy.

To spay is to neuter a female animal.

BRL...

Last edited:
What a great thread! Looking through the pictures reminds me of the one thing I don't like about TC Barlows; all the beautiful models that I don't have! ;) They are so special, a guy wants one of each!

My beauties!

spey
A particular casting technique using special two-handed rods and a modified roll cast. It is named after a river in Scotland where it was developed.

spay
sterilize (a female animal) by removing the ovaries."the animals must be spayed or neutered before they are given up for adoption"

Last edited:
spey
A particular casting technique using special two-handed rods and a modified roll cast. It is named after a river in Scotland where it was developed.

Seems like an awkward way to neuter a male!!:eek:
I don't want any part of it!!

:D:D:D

These are the knives that converted me from a modern knife enthusiast to a traditional knife nut. How cool that we can interact with the Charlow godfather right on this forum? Unfortunately my newfound appreciation for the Charlow came a little late in the development cycle and i still haven't been able to locate my grail of a single bladed ebony spear. I'm patient though and hopefully will locate one sooner or later. It's been a great education in the meantime!

Last edited:
Nice work Jon,I'm sure Charlie is bowled over by your effort. I looked at that label for 30 minutes Jon ,and nothing.

I guess he's been under the weather pretty bad,get well my friend.

Nice work Jon,I'm sure Charlie is bowled over by your effort. I looked at that label for 30 minutes Jon ,and nothing.

I guess he's been under the weather pretty bad,get well my friend.

Look again at the bucket ;) Chicken feeds on the proof, Chicken feed on the print :)

There is a small typographical error in this front label that was corrected at production. Spot it?
Speylabelrough1_zps528cefe3.jpg

Last edited:
This has been a great re-cap thread for a series of knives that I was late to the party on. I had no idea what came first. The Barlow pattern holds a place in my heart because it was my very first serious knife before I got into my teens. Tow Sawyer had nothing to do with it. Many kids today don't even read Huckleberry Finn or Tom Sawyer books. Such a shame.

What exactly is the significance of the name "Charlow"?

OoOo pictures of the ebony and walnut Charlows!! They look fantastic. The ebony looks great but almost every GEC I own is ebony. I'm thinking American walnut will be my newest flavor!!

Lookin good, Charlie

What exactly is the significance of the name "Charlow"?

"Charlow" is a relatively new colloquialism coined by Thomason as a shortened form of "Charlie's Barlows," the Tidioute Cutlery (TC-stamped-bolster) barlows that Charlie Campagna-- waynorth-- has commissioned as SFOs from GEC.

TCpertinux_zps5fbeb623.jpg~original

It all started here, in the "Whatcha got on order?" thread:

Charlies Barlows! What else!?

Me too. Charlows:thumbup::D

There ya go. :)

~ P.

Yeppers, I was very late to the party on this series of knives, which I attribute to my obsession with finding and buying those rare Case Barlow's that I was late for the party as well. Anyway, I'm waiting on my Charlow to get here, and give a :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: to this thread.

Back