Charlow Barlow History

Haven't seen Jon around for awhile so I thought I'd pick up on this thread

Thanks for bringing new life back to this thread philllll:thumbup:

I talked to Jon last week via email...he's well and says he pops in from time to time. He put a lot of time and research into this thread. Jon's a definite asset to this forum...so Jon if your out there please post again:thumbup:;)

Ya know ...I was just thinking the other day...where is Jon Slider!! I miss his contributions!

Edit: Paul...the universe if in sync and so are we....lol!! I was typing while you posted...wow

What a great thread. I went back to the first page and read everything!:thumbup:
The only negative is that now I know how many variations there are of this great knife that I missed out on. :(
Linus

I saved a few of GEC's production photos from this run

GEDC3848_zps46b5ca99.jpg~original

GEDC3659_zps8c69f0aa.jpg~original

GEDC3664_zps7a1829c7.jpg~original

GEDC3769-1024x768_zpsd349ebc2.jpg~original

GEDC3605_zps924c7551.jpg~original

GEDC3680-1024x768_zpsbf1fec56.jpg~original

Thanks philllll, nice to see this wonderful thread pop back up on the radar :)

All these Charlow threads have me jonesing to buy my first. Since this one's about the history, could someone tell me the significance of "Tom's Choice"?

Tom Sawyer carried a clip point barlow :thumbup:
Ahh thank you
I just looked it up.
Mary gave him a bran-new "Barlow" knife worth twelve and a half cents; and the convulsion of delight that swept his system shook him to his foundations. True, the knife would not cut anything, but it was a "sure-enough" Barlow, and there was inconceivable grandeur in that - though where the Western boys ever got the idea that such a weapon could possibly be counterfeited to its injury, is an imposing mystery and will always remain so, perhaps.
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Last edited:
I re-read both the Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn books recently, and while Barlow knives are mentioned in both books, I don't recall any type of blade shape or pattern being described beyond that. Perhaps I missed it, or have forgotten, but I don't recall it.

I knew Tom well, his aunt being a neighbor of my cousin and all. We would often sit by the river and play mumblety-peg. He would always say to me, "Neal, after Mary give me that knife I ain't narry carried nuttin' but a clip point Barlow."

Just saying. :D :rolleyes:

Thanks for bumping this thread, Phillll!
It was conjecture on my part, with some knife-saturated logic thrown in, that came to the "Tom's Choice" clip blade decision. And then there is Neal's quote above!
:rolleyes::D

I knew Tom well, his aunt being a neighbor of my cousin and all. We would often sit by the river and play mumblety-peg. He would always say to me, "Neal, after Mary give me that knife I ain't narry carried nuttin' but a clip point Barlow."

Like me, Tom was actually from Arkansaw, 'Sawyer' being Twain's abbreviation for anyone from the Bear State. Tom just moved to Missouri to live with his aunt after he was orphaned. (True story.)😜

Arkansawyers favor clip points for many reasons, including the resemblance to the big brother Bowie Knife, which was originally forged in Arkansaw!😄

Last edited:
Mercy! Had to put on some hip waders to get through this thread.

I re-read both the Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn books recently, and while Barlow knives are mentioned in both books, I don't recall any type of blade shape or pattern being described beyond that. Perhaps I missed it, or have forgotten, but I don't recall it.

Haven't re-read them in years. But I read the books many times as a youngster and have a pretty fair memory for details. I don't remember a blade style being mentioned. They were just "Barlow knives".

:D

Haven't re-read them in years. But I read the books many times as a youngster and have a pretty fair memory for details. I don't remember a blade style being mentioned. They were just "Barlow knives".

I hadn't re-read them since I was a kid Frank. Huck Finn was the first 'proper' book I ever read as a kid, when I was 5, and it was strange to re-read it as a man in my mid-fifties. I could remember reading it as a kid, even remember reading certain passages and how I felt about them, but I have no idea how on earth I understood it. It takes a bit of comprehending as an adult! :D

Here are all of the Tom's Choice II barlows (except the skunk):

IMG_2283_zps35289082.jpg~original

And the Stew's Blades:

IMG_2286_zps36519c76.jpg~original

Charlie brought a surprise to the 2014 G.E.C. Rendezvous...

The Skunk Barlow!

DrmfX7U_zps780ba31c.jpg~original

zL4mvIg_zpse6868465.jpg~original

This is by far one of the best and most INFORMATIVE threads here in traditionals. Jonathan put alot of work into it. This is THE source for info on the development and evolution of Charlie's TC Barlow.

Three cheers for jon_slider for all the research and effort put into this piece.

Rumor has is he's been exploring the Amazon rainforest. Another rumor is he's been spotted in the Yukon...

35A6689D-F47B-4EF8-9794-8065D9B6CAC8_zps9rmynwmq.jpg

Back