Chitlangi Bowie pants teaser

Back on June 16th I got the Chitlangi Bowie of the blem DOD. It got here in typical Auntie delivery time, dont know how she gets them to us so fast. As with all, I did an overnight mineral oil bath on the handle. Once it came out there were some really cool colors that the horn was hiding, streaks of white and gray hues throughout the handle,it just needed rehydrating. And such little shrinkage that im not even going to file the tang.

I said I had a plan for it, and I wanted to do a snake inlay. I have a few skins that were sourced locally and tanned by me. We have lots of biting critters down here and as much as I love em, we cant have them in our yards by the kiddies. I made up a template and roughed her out. I should have taken some pics but plain forgot, blame it on the heat...... I have one pic ill post to tease ya with, until I get to the next step. She is ready for dye and final fit, going to dye it black. I have some family here this week, so not much work time but I will post more work along pics when im in the garage working. Sorry for being long winded but here is a pic. Hope ya like it so far.

BcCt5f.jpg

Last edited:
I got no use for snakes but that's a good purpose for one. I love it so far.

What happens when you dye it black, do you lose the color variation?

I should come back and help ya kill snakes, I hate snakes. Not fond of Bee's neither.

I got no use for snakes but that's a good purpose for one. I love it so far.

What happens when you dye it black, do you lose the color variation?

I should come back and help ya kill snakes, I hate snakes. Not fond of Bee's neither.

Thanks man. I dont hate the snakes, just cant have them near kids. The black wont really take away from the skin it might enhance the black in the patterning. Plus the black will go best with the knife. Come on down we can get a few and play with a few gators as well. There are some beavers but they run when they see me.

I can totally understand the beavers outlook, what with your reputation and all.

Yeah, I can hear the beavers now - "Oh no, here comes Pugs looking for another piece of tail" :D

Holy Moly! Thats gorgeous Pugs! That will look incredibly nice once black and will go great with the black horn. Cant wait to see the progress. What do you glue the snake skin with? Hide glue? I have a skin i want to play with but have never done that on leather. Love the inlay ideer:thumbsup:

Holy Moly! Thats gorgeous Pugs! That will look incredibly nice once black and will go great with the black horn. Cant wait to see the progress. What do you glue the snake skin with? Hide glue? I have a skin i want to play with but have never done that on leather. Love the inlay ideer:thumbsup:

Thanks brother, I dyed it today looks pretty nice. When I glue up the inlay I use a contact cement. Also when I cut the overlay I save the center piece, I cut about 2/8ths off it all sides of it and glue it to my underlay piece all centered up. When I glue the skin on. Ill show ya a pic tomorrow, its easier when ya see it.

Contact cement? Who wouldda thunk it? OK ill wait for the movie! Dont tell me now. It wont be the same!

Here are the pics I told ya I would take showing how I set the inlay.
You can see the inlay glued over the center piece I kept after cutting the overlay. This gives the inlay a 3d or some depth so it dont look flat and to deep in the overlay.
bA2eQx.jpg

After I glue it I press the skin into the center piece so it fits nice and snug. You can see the raised effect better now.
dgkfOc.jpg

And the last is the overlay that I have to stitch the top together, than line up all the stitch holes, then glue it up to the rest of the sheath and stitch her up, wet mold and set the retainer strap, and final finishing and edges done. I think it will be pretty nice when finished.
5ivyT4.jpg

Oh I get it now! Thats going to be so khul:thumbsup: Getting all the holes lined up must be fun eh?

I have a German Pfaff machine made in the sixties or seventies? I havent used it yet cause i have no clue how? My dad left it to me and used to sew through multiple layers of nylon webbing. I know they were used for going through thick leather. Maybe one day ill get her going but more than likely ill end up selling it or something? I already got too many hobbies. I personally like the fact that you do your stuff all by hand. Your quality is so good it looks like machine made:thumbsup:

I have a German Pfaff machine made in the sixties or seventies? I havent used it yet cause i have no clue how? My dad left it to me and used to sew through multiple layers of nylon webbing. I know they were used for going through thick leather. Maybe one day ill get her going but more than likely ill end up selling it or something? I already got too many hobbies. I personally like the fact that you do your stuff all by hand. Your quality is so good it looks like machine made:thumbsup:

Why thank you brother, I have a friend possibly trying to get me a machine from an old saddle maker who is retired. So maybe he will come through. I cant justify 4k on a new machine. So for now I do it by hand, I stitched up the sheath today after work, it took about an hour and a half of nonstop sewing. It looks sweet, I also wet molded it so its drying but I will snap a shot of it in the am. Once dry I will finish the edges set the snap and polish it up and call her done.

Awesome, makes me want to get some leather!
Thank you sir.
I have two pics today, all stitched and drying from wet molding. Its really hot and humid here so its gonna take a few days to dry. The Bowie fits really well.
PrS9s2.jpg

MVW3dl.jpg

OK she is all finished up, and im very pleased with it. All 17 plus inches of her. Did it in what I call a reverse belt loop. Usually you mold the leather to the rear of the sheath which makes the back side of the leather show on the handle and rear. The reverse is when you mold the leather to the front which gives you the smooth side forward and makes a really nice look, its more work but the result is nice. You can see what I mean in the photo of the back of the sheath.Hope you all like it.
NzrUTi.jpg

yQc0FF.jpg

GIuxII.jpg

DW2jmR.jpg

Looks really fine Pugs. Looks good from the back too far as that goes.
I'm guessing this isn't the first time you've done this sort of thing, actually know it's not, I have a couple pair of pants that attest to that.

Well done.

Looks really fine Pugs. Looks good from the back too far as that goes.
I'm guessing this isn't the first time you've done this sort of thing, actually know it's not, I have a couple pair of pants that attest to that.

Well done.

Thank you brother

Back