Chris Reeve Nyala

I realize this is a very old thread however I recently bought a nyala and was wondering if you could tell me (us) exactly what you did to get that look on your sheath. It looks amazing.

Thanks. If I recall correctly, it was Fiebing's British Tan dye probably followed by an acrylic leather finish.

I just got my second nyala (sold the first one long ago). Not too sure I really like the new blade coating compared to the stone washed look. Love the knife though. If the coating wears anything like my pro soldiers coating, then I'll be a happy camper. Been edc (ing) the pro soldier for four years. Love it.

Yes, they are absolutely coated now. I received an Insingo Nyala as a birthday gift from a fellow forum member and great friend. I was kind of shocked to see the coating when I opened it up. I don't know if I like it or not, it shows prints, smears, marks at the slightest use and is kind of a pain to keep clean. OCD aside I just don't know how it'll hold up to use, the stone wash holds up amazingly well. I've used the stone washed versions to field dress deer, whittle, build shelters, prep food, and as a general camp and hunting knife and they still look new. I did the same with some of the one piece knives and was less than impressed with how the KG gun coat held up, I really hope that the PVD coating does better.

I picked up a nice kydex sheath for the Insingo Nyala from Glockcrazz and I'm very happy with it( he does great work ), I'll try to post some pictures later of it and the other 2 Nyala's with their sheaths as well.

The leather is very well made, holds the knife securely, and would probably last a very long time if cared for properly. I just don't like how it rides on my hip so I use kydex for the 2 that see the most work, I strongly suggest that for the small investment the kydex for one is that anybody who has a Nyala gives a good qualify kydex sheath a try.

Last edited:
I would be interested in a kydex sheath for my Nyala. if someone could pass along where they got there's, that would be great!

I guess I've never noticed this model before. All I ever hear about Reeve are the folders. Looks like a great hunting blade. Really like it.

Yeah, it snuck up on me too.i got one the other day and really like it. It is sturdier than most small hunting knives.

I finally had a minute to post some pics showing the sheath that Glockcrazz made for my Insingo Nyala. I hope that all of you looking to get some kydex give him a chance, he does nice work at a very reasonable price.

Since I was taking pics and since it is a Nyala thread I thought that you all might like to see all 3 of the Nyala's that I have at this time.
One is from what is believed to be the earliest release of them, first production run with no Idaho made stamp and some nice polished dark micarta.
The next is your standard run of the mill Nyala with the stonewashed finish.
Finally you'll notice the Insingo Nyala with the now standard PVD coating.

I don't know who made thee kydex for the standard Nyala, it came with the knife when I bought it off of the exchange.

There's a million ways to mount your rig to your belt or pack but in my opinion there's nothing out there that beats a Tek-Lok.
Joey added one to my order for the Insingo Nyala's Kydex at a very reasonable price. Here's a pic of both.

Last edited:
Interesting. I hadn't focused on the change in the micarta. When the Nyala first started shipping, I started a thread on 'birth dates.' My micarta Nyala is from the earliest reported day of production, 4/20/10. The thread is here.

Nice review with lots of great pics. My girlfriend just bought me the Insingo Nyala for my birthday. Cant wait to try it out....!!!

Nice review with lots of great pics. My girlfriend just bought me the Insingo Nyala for my birthday. Cant wait to try it out....!!!

Well happy birthday then :)
I was very happy to get mine for my birthday and am looking forward to the first day of archery deer season hoping to put it to use filling my freezer.
I'll report back how it holds up if I'm lucky enough to tag out this season, I expect that it'll do just as well as the "standard" Nyala does.

I have an older one without the Idaho stamp, and it has green micarta not brown. I love the knife, I hate the leather sheath it came with. I would much rather have one of those Kydex ones you designed

I have an older one without the Idaho stamp, and it has green micarta not brown. I love the knife, I hate the leather sheath it came with. I would much rather have one of those Kydex ones you designed

Are those green scales original CRK? Do you have pictures?

Back