Clipless / Loose carry

I carry some knives with a clip, any other would go in a nylon pouch in the left front pocket, or in a KSF leather pocket sheath. I do not like my knife banging up, loose against coins and keys. The only time it is loose in the pocket is if the knife is a small knife.

I have often wondered what a horizontal carry of a folder would be like with a nice form fitting leather sheath. I have read here on the forums or in Knife magazine that in the old days, boys would actually have a spot built into their boots or shoes to carry a knife.

Where is the go-to for pouches? I've been going back and forth on removing the clip to my Naja. The clip is about as good as it gets for deep-carry, especially given the larger size of the knife. It isn't terribly uncomfortable in hand but removing it more than doubles the comfort. Could a pouch be the answer?

I think he is referring more to skinny jeans....for boys, girls, men or women. :D Sorry, the thought of men in skinny jeans....no, just no. Times certainly have changed. :rolleyes:

Those things are not made for men.

There are no room in those for a man's natural accessories, and no one wants to see a man's butt crack.

Those are made for girls.

Those things are not made for men.

There are no room in those for a man's natural accessories, and no one wants to see a man's butt crack.

Those are made for girls.

I see guys wearing them in public. I wonder if they have the same problems as a lot of women's pants: fake or barely usable pockets. Maybe we need a new thread for this one...

I see guys wearing them in public. I wonder if they have the same problems as a lot of women's pants: fake or barely usable pockets. Maybe we need a new thread for this one...

1. You can already see they aren't carrying a knife, or a gun.

2. They obviously carry smaller accessories.

3. They either aren't very active, or they are severely chaffed.

Definitely a "clip carry" situation.

Reactions: KVT
I do not think that it would be good to go down this route for skinny jeans, at least not anther thread!!! :rolleyes: I have also seen men wear them too....kind of reminds me of the Duluth trading commercial, really funny, though it was really for underwear, the one with the volleyball comparison comparing how tight they were compared to the Duluth brand. On skinny jeans, no room for loose pocket carry of a knife, or a clip, yet alone trying to fit one in the key pocket.

I do not think that it would be good to go down this route for skinny jeans, at least not anther thread!!! :rolleyes: I have also seen men wear them too....kind of reminds me of the Duluth trading commercial, really funny, though it was really for underwear, the one with the volleyball comparison comparing how tight they were compared to the Duluth brand. On skinny jeans, no room for loose pocket carry of a knife, or a clip, yet alone trying to fit one in the key pocket.

That's because girls carry that stuff in a purse.

That's because girls carry that stuff in a purse.
Don't forget about the new Man pouches, seen them advertised for a guy on a motorcycle, to keep
it out of the way, strapped across his back with a single sling. Now that is the way to carry a pocket knife.

I lost one very nice custom-modified multi-bladed folder when it was carried loose in my pocket.
I will NEVER do that again.

I carry loose all the time.

I have a couple of knives that serve as money clips that are carried loose.

I guess technically I'm using the clip... just not for clipping it to the pocket.

I love clips- if it has one then I use it. I even added the optioinsl clip to my Leatherman Charge.

Problem solved:

ZykjA6c.jpg

QXjJlSi.jpg

Conversely:

aulT5eR.jpg

sKfpYLp.jpg

jF66XcV.jpg

Need your knife, pull on the string, squeeze the bottom of the pouch and the knife comes out, leave the pouch dangling till ya put your knife away. Easey peasey:

PPQCKXR.jpg

Real world use:

tdJVtI5.jpg

QEapr8o.jpg

YwVLZIV.jpg

5zbQwo0.jpg

9R3Jr93.jpg

aTLIHI1.jpg

Hv4SEp8.jpg

I carry with a clip 99% of the time, the only knives I have lost have been when carrying loose in my pocket. However there are certain knives I will carry loose or with a pocket slip because I enjoy them enough to do so. My SAK tinker and Spyderco Roadie being my favorite clip-less knives.

I used to all the time. I went through a handful of Leeks that I’d take the clip off and carry loose in my pocket. I lost a lot of them because of that, which is why I went through so many, haha.

Nowadays if the knife has a clip, I’m using it. The only blades I carry loose are traditionals, and even then I prefer to keep them in my watch pocket. If I’m in shorts I usually toss them in my right front pocket and leave that pocket empty for the most part. It actually took me a while to get used to it, but now I really don’t have any issues with it as long as it’s not overly heavy and cumbersome.

If I'm not at work, it's just loose in a pocket, since I'm not really allowed to carry a knife just out and about.

I've had knives come out of my pocket both carried loose and carried with the clip. I know all too well that sinking feeling of reaching into an empty pocket.

Back