Clipless / Loose carry

I sew a vertical seam on the right rear pocket of all my pants.

Large traditional clipless folder goes there. Much better than a clip for me in every way.

Micra carries loose in RFP. It ejects sometimes but they're cheap and easy to replace

I never liked clips. Removed the on all my folders but one. Feels better in the hand. Never caused me issues so far with loosing the knife or anything.

What is the risk of having a loose knife fall out of your pocket versus having a clip snag and bend on something as you go by? Also, does the orientation of a clipped knife make it easier to get pushed up and out by certain actions?

What is the risk of having a loose knife fall out of your pocket versus having a clip snag and bend on something as you go by? Also, does the orientation of a clipped knife make it easier to get pushed up and out by certain actions?

Depends on the person, I've had more loose knives fall out of my pockets than pocket clip snags, but I am sure a lot has to do with how you sit, the type of clothes you wear, and your body shape.

I lost a much loved black plain edged Kershaw Shallot 1840CKT many years ago that repeatedly fell out of my pocket because of a loose clip. It usually fell out of my pocket when sitting back in a chair and I think I lost it at a movie theater; found the knife on a theater floor more often than once before I lost it for good. Should have just taken the time to properly adjust the tension on the clip.

Ended up buying 3 black plain edged blems of the knife after it was discontinued which I have never lost. Currently trying to sell 2 of those blems (keeping the 3rd as a user) because I've acquired 4 original Shallots (2 sliver/2black with a plain edge and combo blades; the silver combo in the rare S110V version) for my collection.

Currently carrying a Spyderco Magnitude unclipped in my pocket today because the clip is too tight and damaging to my pocket edge but, unlike the Shallot, I know that its in my pocket and because of its size/bulk I can feel it there and would notice if it it fell out but it doesn't really matter since I don't plan to carry it more than a day or 2 more. So, the risk of loss is slight.

When I first started collecting knives (before I even knew that's what was happening), I rarely bought a knife that had a clip, and I removed it from those that did. Of course they were nearly all partially serrated too. Funny how things change. I wouldn't buy a knife without a clip (aside from a traditional), and I wouldn't buy one with serrations.

I was just reminded that I was carrying the Spyderco Ladybug in ZDP-189 for quite a while there . . . along with something longer of course. It fits in the bottom of the pocket pretty sweet.
Photos at this LINK > > >

Apparently I'm one of the few here who are familiar with a sewing machine, or a needle and thread.
I sew a 1.5" tall pocket along the back side of my right pocket (from the inside) to hold my EDC. That holds my pocket knife along the seam of my jeans. If you make the new pocket too tall or too deep, without taking down your pants down, it's hard to get your knife out. If you can't put your EDC in there, you didn't make it wide enough.
This is not rocket science, Guys.

Last edited:
Problem solved:

ZykjA6c.jpg

QXjJlSi.jpg

Conversely:

aulT5eR.jpg

sKfpYLp.jpg

jF66XcV.jpg

Need your knife, pull on the string, squeeze the bottom of the pouch and the knife comes out, leave the pouch dangling till ya put your knife away. Easey peasey:

PPQCKXR.jpg

Real world use:

tdJVtI5.jpg

QEapr8o.jpg

YwVLZIV.jpg

5zbQwo0.jpg

9R3Jr93.jpg

aTLIHI1.jpg

Hv4SEp8.jpg
Horsewright, you have done it again, very nice.

When I don t carry IWB, which is 99% of the time, I carry loose in my pocket. I don t carry clipped to my pocket because a knife clipped like that gets in the way when I try to reach past it into my pocket.

I tried carrying my Lion Steel Shuffler loose in my left front pocket today. Lasted about ten minutes. Placed it in the coin pocket of my jeans, MUCH better for me. After carrying a knife clipped to my pocket for many years, it just felt strange there in the bottom of my pocket. But since I am just beginning my appreciation of "traditionals" maybe that will change.

I do think clips get in the way with your grip on a knife. It is just a matter of deciding if that is sufficiently important to you to skip the clipped knives. I started carrying a Vic Small Tinker a couple months ago. Obviously it does not have a clip. When possible, it rides in the watch pocket on jeans and the like. I am discovering that it is enough knife for most of my cutting day to day. I generally prefer two bladed traditional knives, but the single bladed ones are certainly thinner in the pocket.

If a carry a modern, or most modern knives with clips, I'll generally carry it clipped to a back pocket and I remove it when riding in a vehicle to avoid the potential of added seat wear or possible tears to the upholstery. Stuff is just too expensive to repair or replace to risk it for me.

Generally speaking, I have absolutely no problem carrying a small to medium sized knife loose in a pants pocket. The modern knives are often larger and heavier. I'm not a big Ti guy. I seldom carry what I consider a large knife loose in a pants pocket.... consider the Buck 110 or the clones... too damn big.

If there is a carry trend for me, it's moving back to traditional knives for routine EDC carry.

Those things are not made for men.

There are no room in those for a man's natural accessories, and no one wants to see a man's butt crack.

Those are made for girls.
I tend to agree. Why do women, especially younger women, wear very tight jeans or slacks? We know the answer to that one. Styles change.... To each his or her own as far as I'm concerned. But honestly, really tight jeans on a guy does tend to raise an eye brow for me IF I take notice. But for the most part, I simply don't care.

I tend to agree. Why do women, especially younger women, wear very tight jeans or slacks? We know the answer to that one. Styles change.... To each his or her own as far as I'm concerned. But honestly, really tight jeans on a guy does tend to raise an eye brow for me IF I take notice. But for the most part, I simply don't care.

I think it's a testament to a solid relationship when a girl allows her boyfriend to wear her jeans.
How cute.
:p

Always clipped. I carried loose once and lost the knife. So now its always clipped to RFP. :)
I would consider the mnandi in slipsheath in pocket. I should try, although im afraid to loose it.

I think pants need to adapt to have better edc options. The best edc pants are always so tactical shoot me first type pants. The pockets that have the small space for a clip or front pockets or deep carry pockets and extra pockets. I want a pair of pants that look normal but with better features than typical pants.

Back