CLOSED -CONTEST Get outside for a Hornet!-CLOSED Winner chosen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphnuge

Want a custom knife, but don't want to wait on the build time? Maybe you're just cheap or too lazy to send us an email and order one. Well then you may be too lazy for this contest.

We're going to draw a name for a red, white and blue Hornet mailed just in time for the Fourth of July. This drawing will be open to anyone that puts forth the effort and is of legal age or can have their parents claim the prize.

How's it work? Well, I'm glad I typed myself that question. Basically we want you to get outside and enjoy the outdoors. I don't care if you bike, hike, kayak or camp, etc. Just get outside away from skynet, unplug yourself!
Make sure to document the outing. That will be one entry. You can get an extra entry by bringing a kid(under 18 years old) along to share the experience. Want another entry? Of course you do, because that's America! If you already have a T.M. Hunt Custom Knife, include it in the trip report. That's a total of three entries possible per person. We'll close this at midnight(EST) on the 25th of June so you can receive it to wear to whatever 4th of July celebration you end up at. We'll also include a T.M. Hunt t-shirt in your choice of O.D. or Brown. We have sizes S-2x. I'll draw the name from a hat, helmet or whatever the immediately after the contest closes. You must be a registered, paid member. Basic or above.

I'll go ahead and tell you that the Hornet although small, is a very handy and capable tool. I've worn mine for over 2 and 1/2 years and use it half a dozen times a day. Get planning and get posting, but most of all GET OUT!

Chat it up, it won't help your chances. Your trip pix and and summary count as the entry. Here's the Hornet that's up for grabs.

The shirt options.

Last edited:
I'm in for three entries. Saving this spot. I said a couple of times at the show I could not believe no one had bought that one. It is most cool.

does it count if i have the neighbor kid hold a target for me to throw my M9 at?
that's an outdoor activity and I guarantee it'll be a lesson they never forget!

OH I definitely will be in on this. Dont know what or how but I wont miss out on an opportunity for a TMhunt Hornet. I'll be back! :D

I'm in. I've been meaning to spend time outside more with my daughter. This weekend will be awesome! Pics and a report coming soon.

Well came back and realized I can't be an official entry because I can't afford to pay for membership here now but I'll still add some shots from my hike with my son just for fun. Hope whoever does win enjoys the blade. Since you guys are basically a short distance from me I'll definitely have to purchase a fine custom blade whenever funds permit.

Any who, my three year old and I went on a hike on trail six at the beautiful Charlestown State Park here in Charlestown, Indiana. We maybe made it a short bit of the trail before he tired too much but we had a blast.

IMAG3107_zpsis9y5tdh.jpg

My boy and my pack before venturing out.

IMAG3108_zpsxfvbzdhn.jpg

Climbing up from the parking lot to the paved part of the trail.

IMAG3109_zpsdhxiral9.jpg

The adventure begins on a very short bit of paved trail.

IMAG3113_zpstao0vr3e.jpg

He got distracted by a pile of wood and shows off his strength.

IMAG3120_zpsojnfz0ld.jpg

A quick selfie for good measure before we hit the dirt and the main trail.

IMAG3127_zps1ot9yu5m.jpg

And we are on to the main trail, goodbye pavement!

IMAG3129_zpsfjplnugo.jpg

One of the few wildflowers left on the trail from the spring bloom.

IMAG3132_zpsc76ue708.jpg

He struggles to keep up but the whole trip he was a little trooper.

IMAG3133_zpsr2v6lbzi.jpg

Look at that tree, daddy! Take its picture!

IMAG3135_zpsjdjwxiue.jpg

A view down the path.

IMAG3136_zps3ziavf8k.jpg

He's spotted the bridge over the creek I frequent.

IMAG3139_zpsrpm4omcp.jpg

Surveying the creek bed. It hasn't rained enough lately so the creek is mostly small pools of water. Usually it's flowing nicely into the Ohio with a waterfall.

IMAG3142_zpsptwwzfnk.jpg

Met a nice couple and their dog Lady on the trail. The boy loves dogs and was happy they were friendly and let him pet Lady.

IMAG3151_zpss5mnoqua.jpg

Conquering the old structure with his stick sword.

IMAG3155_zpscbhfhohj.jpg

I hate spiders and getting close to take this picture made my skin crawl.

IMAG3157_zps9l6bji5e.jpg

He tuckered out not far in so we headed back to the car.

IMAG3162_zpssuwl7wzb.jpg

For some reason I love seeing the fungi growing on dead logs.

IMAG3163_zps0dm2azkw.jpg

After carrying him twice up to this point he walked the short distance from here back to the car.

THE END.

I can't wait to take him again, I love showing him the beauty of nature.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm in...

Teasers from this past Sunday...I'll post up some new in a few days. For now, these'll do: 32.2 mile bike ride for the ADA. AWESOME weather. Even had a knife in my jersey pocket (*cough* Manix 2 w/ custom blue scales *cough*) for anything that might come up...like cutting twist ties and drilling holes in cardboard number tags. That hornet woulda been way better to have, but....hey, that's why I'm in, see?

Me, in motion. I guess you'd call it a selfie. Not that I do that sort of thing...

14209043848_9afe053d72_b.jpg

Some scenery. Some wooded, some coastal, some farmland, and a perfect sky to go with.

14209209027_cd5fdc44e0_b.jpg

That is a very nice Hornet. [EDITED] I'll enter the contest for fun and camaraderie, and if I win, I will donate it for a Flash Giveaway....or give it outright to a TM Gang member in need...:D

UPDATE: I didn't get these loaded up in time to make the cut off. I thought I'd have a bit more time, but I'm gonna put 'em here regardless. I have been busy for the last week helping my wife organize and run and keep running a week long Girl Scout Daycamp at a "damn near in the middle of nowhere" Oregon State park. I couldn't take pictures of the kids, not even my own or personnel at the camp, sans photo release forms and legalize BS.
So, I'm in charge of logistics which means I spend a great deal of time, and gas, going here, or getting that.....last minute stuff. I had a few minutes to kill so I carved up a tent stake with the Tradewater. I also wanted to show you guys how awesome the edge is on this thing.

Detail work? No problem.

And Yes! It was raining.....It's Oregon, what else is there but rain?

Last edited:
Not in, but just wanted to say that the Hornet is one sweet little blade. This is a fine example. Really cool looking blade Todd.

Hey guys keep in mind, Murph said you need at least a basic paying membership to be in the contest. I have been meaning to upgrade, now I have a reason....I just have to get the ok from my boss:D I just took my boys on their first overnighter this past weekend and used only my Yuma. I have another outing planned so stay tuned. Here is some pics from this past weekend to hold my place.

I used the Yuma to process down all the wood for my 1 log/flint&steel fire. I brought my ax to do the splitting but it broke on the 2nd swing so I was glad to have such a capable knife with me.
20140607_183131_zpspzbvwhfn.jpg

20140607_183127_zps097mngkc.jpg

Here is a pic of the boys and the not-so-primitive campsite. Because it was their first time I wanted them to be comfortable and want to do it again. My boys are in the blue and yellow shirts, the other is my nephew. I gave them all swedish firesteels and they absolutely loved them. They never put them down. I bet I saw 10,000 sparks that day/night. lol.
20140607_164821_zpskbabuicv.jpg

Not only did my Yuma baton down all the firewood, (the park supplies the split logs and you arent allowed to use "found wood" so I had to process down the wood into small stuff to get it going) it also helped with dinner. It sliced up the veggies and served as a flipper/poker to move the skewers around. I lke mine a little done lol.
20140607_192559_zpswdbluhoa.jpg

Get those entries in folks. Murph is itchin to give away some free shit! No pics no play! Somebody's gotta win.

Bearded and ODFM4. I will count your entries even though you dont have the correct membership. However, I will deduct a entry. So, bearded gets one entry for having a kid out with him, ODFM4 gets 2 entries because of the kids and the T.M.Hunt content, but get those memberships upgrated folks. Its a small price to pay to keep this great community we all love up and runnin.

Got out for Father's Day this morning and, as a family, tried to learn how to make fire with a bow drill. That is one hell of a lot of work and despite making lot's of smoke, we never did get an ember to form. Still had fun, though!

Mom spinning the spindle...

My youngest making a spindle (using Mom's Magua)...

Dad getting his exercise...

In for two entries, thank you for a chance at such a generous give away! Got out this last weekend for some fun at the ranch with the family. We cleaned up the campsite and had a nice cookout/picnic, got to shoot some, and just had a great time in the country with family.

I finally got to use my Bahco Laplander, all I can say is get one! It cut so well my lazy butt, 19 year old brother even did some work with it. :)

14436982085_b2893ee6a7_z.jpg

Got the campsite looking good and got the pit going..

14433647351_12c0f859eb_z.jpg

Here is my dad flipping burgers with my 9..

14433664921_922ac4abe2_z.jpg

My son, niece, and cousins all hung out and played together, they had a great time. I took some time to explain to my 3 1/2 year old son about not picking up every rock and stick and how to kick it a couple times before you grab it.. He ran over to where his cousins were and immediately grabbed a stick and got bit by something.. finger swelled up like a sausage, but a little stop itch and some kids benedryl and he was back in action in 15 minutes, I told him again to kick it before picking it up and look for critters and he took it to heart, lesson learned hopefully :)

14250409288_69c452464a_z.jpg

My 93 year old Grandmother even came up the hill for a little bit, not sure when was the last time she has been at the campsite.

14250703499_ed1e3931e2_c.jpg

Got to do some shooting... got my iron sights on my AR sighted in nicely after I realized the batteries I got for my green dot sight didn't fit.. this is free standing at about 75 yards...

14437001585_bba064e715_c.jpg

My niece and my wife climbing trees.. my wife thinks she is still 18 :D

14433657791_27ab61c152_c.jpg

All in all it was an awesome day, had fun with the family and my dad had a great time for his father's day.. mission accomplished.

14250748940_eb4aa6f921_c.jpg

If I am lucky enough to win I will be giving the hornet to my dad, aside from being a combat veteran, he is very patriotic and he would absolutely love the color motif. Thanks again for the awesome give away.

Loving the look of the Hornet, and this is as good a reason as any to put down some money and become a paying member, so here goes...

Took the wife, youngest son, and dog for a little Father's Day stroll to Lick Creek. Definitely one of our favorite places. It's in town, but sure doesn't feel like it.

It's June. It's Texas. It's hot, but even worse it was humid. So we put the boy's hydration pack on him so he could hose drink and/or himself down at will.

The dog doesn't get a hydration pack, but she isn't nearly as picky about what she drinks. She's just over a year old and hasn't figured out her limits just yet. Her tongue was just about dragging the ground when she finally found this muddy water spot and laid down as quick as she could and lapped up as much as she could.

A bit more walking, and we finally made it to Lick Creek itself.

Shoes off. Wadding commences. Then a game of "Make the dog run by throwing rocks up and down the creek" breaks out. Boy and dog loved it.

An apple is eaten, and the boy declares it to be a "great afternoon" and it was.

Also, the boy wanted me to include this pic of this thorny tree.

Last edited:
I'm in! Here's me at Big Bear Lake, in a little corner of it called Boulder Bay. So, it's April, and was pretty warm, I heard the trout were beginning to bite... Until I drove up, that is. The mountain snags the edge of a passing cold front and the temps drop... way down. It was 19 degrees when I stepped out to fish... and I caught nothing all day. No one did. At least I brought beer. Firestone's Velvet Merlin oatmeal stout.

2dalpg4.jpg

Little bit frustrated. This thread prompted me to get off my a$$ and pay for a basic account upgrade, the money left my account and....and.....and....nothing. Gonna have to figure out how to get that rectified but, I can think of lots of other things I could do with that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back