CLOSED, PRE-ORDER, 12" Behemoth Chopper

If you have not heard from Jo, please send her (me) an email at jocarothers (at) gmail (dot) com
Thank you!!!

UPDATE:

Material was ordered in January. We've having a run of 3V rolled to our specification, it is scheduled to arrive on March 6th. We will being processing the material in about a month and will start the first batch into heat treat probably around the middle of May. I expect the first of these to start to ship in early summer and we will work through the order steadily once we start the build, in the order the orders were received.

UPDATE:

Material was ordered in January. We've having a run of 3V rolled to our specification, it is scheduled to arrive on March 6th. We will being processing the material in about a month and will start the first batch into heat treat probably around the middle of May. I expect the first of these to start to ship in early summer and we will work through the order steadily once we start the build, in the order the orders were received.

thanks for the update...
future thoughts of my BC being delivered help me get out of bed each morning...

I know it is months out but is there any sheath makers thinking about making something for this big boy. i am looking for something to attach to backpack...at least that is what I am thinking now.

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist
@Jo the Machinist
cpirtle cpirtle

I think I am 7th on the order list and the 10th knife overall if I am counting right. Chad is at best 66th on the list, maybe more with the double posts, and I don't know what number knife. I would like to offer to switch positions on the list with Chad if that does not create a logistics headache for you. That way, he can get to making leather awesomeness for us all a little sooner. Thanks for the consideration. - Marc

Happy to do the same for any of the other sheath makers that are on the order behind me as well.

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist
@Jo the Machinist
cpirtle cpirtle

I think I am 7th on the order list and the 10th knife overall if I am counting right. Chad is at best 66th on the list, maybe more with the double posts, and I don't know what number knife. I would like to offer to switch positions on the list with Chad if that does not create a logistics headache for you. That way, he can get to making leather awesomeness for us all a little sooner. Thanks for the consideration. - Marc

Happy to do the same for any of the other sheath makers that are on the order behind me as well.
Good on ya Marc :thumbsup:

Anyone interested in selling their BC position please let me know.

Any updates on this project?

I saw a post recently (a few days ago, last week?) that CPK has started to cut blanks. With the EDC2 preorders all completed now, the post indicated that the Mori was being used for this project. All that said, Nathan did quote something like 6 - 12 months time wise after the preorder was closed. I'm # 2 on the preorder list and I don't expect to see mine before August or maybe Sept.

Any updates on this project?

The short answer is we're cutting chips. We have been for a while and will be for a while.

The long answer is we ordered steel soon after the sale was closed. There were 100 in the pre-order so I ordered enough steel to do over 200 (half will go to the pre-order, half in regular sales). This is a big damn knife and that is a lot of CPM 3V so they had to make it. Crucible created a billet and Niagara rolled it out and delivered a bunch of 6' sheets of it to me which we began sawing up as soon as we got it. I elected to saw it up here rather than have it sheared into blanks at NSM because I believe there is evidence that the rather severe distortion causing by shearing this material and the subsequent re-straightening of it (all at BCC temperatures) isn't good for the steel, so I cut it. As they were being cut up we were deburring and prepping for squaring up and "accurizing" the blanks for subsequent steps on the "Pig" (our big old slow boxway mill) which is where it's at now, slowly chugging along. Ops one and two are normally done on the Pig but we're tooling up the Mori now to handle some of this to speed these up through those first steps.

When we pivoted from a "job shop that happens to make knives" to a "knife production company" we went from making about 500 knives per year to three times that by streamlining our production into a continuous flow progressive operation rather than batch and piece work. This allows finished knives to start coming out of the process on one end before even all of the material is cut up on the other end. This was done by reorganizing the shop, adding machines and fixtures and changing our process. It's wonderful. And this big-damn-knife is too large to fit this process, which means we're encumbered into doing it in big-damn-batch operations which means that none will be finished until we set up and start the final operations this summer.

Back