1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

CLOSED PRE-ORDER CPK Keffeler Competition Cutter

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Nathan the Machinist, Mar 2, 2018.

1. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I get the lanyard before unsheathing part, but can you elaborate why the sheath *must* have two means of securing the blade?

Not debating, just really curious. Is that a bladesports rule?

2. BFS

BFS Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 14, 2004
    I had training and my first competition two weeks ago. They informed us that sheaths had to have two means of retaining the blade in the sheath. I don't know anymore than that. You could email Donavon Phillips at bigdknives at gmail dought com to get specifics.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2018
  3. bullpin

bullpin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Thanks. I think I understand what they want. I’m guessing you just need to have a proper grip on knife (hand through lanyard before unsheathing. Understandable in today’s can’t be too safe world. Thanks for the help.
    on another note...
    I gotta say , I’ve bought a lot of knives throughout the years. This is the sharpest knife I have ever received. I couldn’t help myself but to slice all the packaging within the first minute I had it. Great job CPK.

4. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    Thank you, I'm doing these myself. That level of sharpness is "race ready". Obviously you have to practice but you'll need to get it back to that level to race.

[​IMG]

The knives have to be very sharp to be competitive, it can be the difference between first place and 5th. Straws are worth 5 points and there are often two. Rope, paper (sheet, tube etc) need a fiendishly sharp knife.

We're using V4E because it can go though the wood targets and maintain that freaky sharp edge better than anything we've tested and still hold up to the impacts from the hard hits without chipping out in thin sections.

5. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    Dan Keffeler and a three hit 2X6

Odog27, Brian77, Benson X and 7 others like this.
  6. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    Dan Keffeler (the best in the world at this) and a world class run on his practice course

Odog27, Brian77, donscpoo and 8 others like this.
  7. Jo the Machinist

Jo the Machinist KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 17, 2015
    A knife slipped in transit and someone ended up with 9 stitches. Now we have the secondary retention requirement.

Brian77, Mike157, musicisevil and 2 others like this.
  8. BFS

Jul 14, 2004
    Nathan,

What is the edge bevel in degrees on the racing edge? For resharpening purposes. Thanks.

Mike157 likes this.
  9. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    15 DPS

Benson X, bullpin, BFS and 1 other person like this.
  10. bullpin

bullpin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2010
  11. Benson X

Benson X Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I've watched this video probably a dozen times. I can't get over Dan's response after the 3rd chop! :D

It's almost as if he's disappointed, or maybe surprised that it only took 3 chops. He was lined-up and expecting that 4th swing, but it was just a big let down. What an impressive choppa!

BFS and Jo the Machinist like this.
  12. BFS

Jul 14, 2004
    While practicing today on a vertical 2x4, the third chop snapped it off. I did the same thing, just stood there and looked at it. Sorta stunned me. The racing edge is wicked.

13. Dan Keffeler

Dan Keffeler Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Jun 28, 2010
    In my opinion this knife is the best competition Chopper I have ever used.
    Dan

Odog27, bluemax_1, gga357 and 15 others like this.
  14. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    of course, it's a CPK!
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Odog27, Mike Pierson and Mike157 like this.
  15. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    All I’m doing with mine, so far, is fooling around, but it’s IMPRESSIVE to work with. I have to rethink a number of things when using it.

I have a 1/4” sheet of sacrificial plywood for the cutting surface on my newly-made tennis ball/golf ball ramp. I keep cutting THROUGH the sacrificial sheet while I’m cutting the targets. Moving to solid 1/2” plywood to see if this helps.

16. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Lol, accidentally cutting through everything isn't such a bad problem to have;). I can't wait to get my hands on mine, but I'm WAY down on the list so it's probably going to be a bit.

~Chip

Mike157 likes this.
  17. Brian77

Brian77 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 27, 2014
    Austin bought a practice competition table from a former competitor. Big D helped him make the connection.

He has been practicing for 2 months now. As soon as his competition chopper gets here, he will ramp up and sign up for the first event he can.

Glad to hear it's that good.

Odog27, Benson X, Hard Knocks and 3 others like this.
  18. Brian77

Brian77 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 27, 2014

Even with another knife, Austin has found that 5/8 or 3/4 is what is needed. Same reason. What do others use? Also, who can make this type sheath?

Mike157 likes this.
  19. BFS

Jul 14, 2004
    I have a few of these 1/2x3" boards that I cut to 32" (official length) long. Screwed it down on a 2x4. Works good and is taking the whacks pretty good so far.

IMG_2630.JPG
    IMG_2654.JPG

Here's the second level of retention that Jo Smith put on the sheath he made for my CC. It attaches the strap to the back of the sheath.

IMG_2653.JPG

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  20. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    I just picked up a sheet of 1/2” plywood to try for the ‘sacrificial’ piece. A solid board may end up being more resilient. Guess we shall see!

Need to make a sheath for mine, too. Not sure where I’ll head, yet.

I have to find someone to fabricate the board clamps necessary for all the 2x4 cuts. No welder, here.

Odog27, gusbuster, Mike157 and 2 others like this.