CLOSED PRE-ORDER CPK Keffeler Competition Cutter

I just picked up a sheet of 1/2” plywood to try for the ‘sacrificial’ piece. A solid board may end up being more resilient. Guess we shall see!

you could always saw a cutting board into strips wide enough for your cutting surface. More food safe than plywood, imo

It is a good idea to just use something you plan on replacing regularly. Even if it isn't broken in 2, the chipped up surface interferes with the roll and is no good. I use a 6" strip of 1/4 in plywood. It gets replaced at least once every practice session. Sometimes you can turn it over and get a couple whacks. ;)

Have any more of these made it out into the wild? I'd love to see more pics and feedback to tide me over during the wait (I know...that's what I get for waiting to get the last one;)).

~Chip

Hope everyone is still as excited about these as I am :D

~Chip

Jo the Machinist Jo the Machinist , are you still editing posts as these ship? I assume we're not going to make the end of the year ship date?

Thanks,
~Chip

Jo the Machinist Jo the Machinist , are you still editing posts as these ship? I assume we're not going to make the end of the year ship date?

Thanks,
~Chip

Unfortunately it's looking less likely. This was such a small batch of such a utilitarian knife I felt certain we could bang it out quickly but the reality has been different. I can grind 10-20 of our regular work in the time it takes me to grind one of these. Sharpening is about double. And, despite the fact there are three other people in the shop grinding, sharpening and assembling knives, I'm the only one who can do the comp choppers which makes me the bottle neck. Unscheduled production stoppages such as a servo dram parity error on the Mori, control problems on the automatic surface grinder, sump filter pump seizing on the Kia, and a tool changer crash on the pig require my immediate attention and continuing production requirements such as fixtures, programs, machine setups/prove outs/adjustments, tooling modifications otherwise require most of my time during the day. I stone, strop and test the edge on every single knife before it can ship. I'm the bottleneck in the shop and I'm working 7 days a week. Ironically, it seems like the more help I get the more work I have to do, it was a slower pace when it was just me. This is leading to a problem with finding a few weeks of uninterrupted time where I can just sit in front of a grinder and finish these comp choppers. It's one of the only projects in the shop that only I can do. I have comp choppers in processes and I will continue to make it a priority but it's looking less likely that they'll ship before the end of the year.

We were going to get these out by the end of the year but we will miss that deadline. I tried. All but a few are nearly ready to ship. But it's going to take another few weeks. I'm sorry for the delay.

Some things you have to work for and some things you have to wait for. I don't mind waiting for high quality, Made in USA craftsmanship. Thank you for update :thumbsup:

We were going to get these out by the end of the year but we will miss that deadline. I tried. All but a few are nearly ready to ship. But it's going to take another few weeks. I'm sorry for the delay.

I’m hoping that Jo blindfolds you and shoves you in the packed Subaru so that you, Jo and the kids can get away for a few days and that you don’t have to think about this place and finishing / not finishing up this order or what not in the next few!

Don’t worry Nathan, i’ve got this one and will keep it nice and tidy till you return from the mini vacay :D

Guys, my Competition Cutter is with Eric Lind from Mashedcat now for a kydex sheath. I requested him to design a competition compliance sheath. If any of you are keen to get a kydex sheath for your Completition Cutter, you may contact him to use mine as a template to make you one.

Happy chopping in 2019.

Cheers!

Don

Back