Coffee

It's only been a few days with my Aeropress, but I'm noticing that despite drinking about 2+ cups a day instead of my usual 1, I'm no longer getting upset bowel movements. There isn't any crema in the coffee, but the full flavor is definitely there(along with the caffeine).

Might be an interesting thing to note if anyone else is reacting the same way to their coffee, it may help to just filter it better.

There are a few Youtube videos about how to get crema from your AP. I'll try to post a link.

There are a few Youtube videos about how to get crema from your AP. I'll try to post a link.
I get it, but it seems like too much work:

I'm usually all worked out by the time I finish cranking out my fine coffee. But I guess I could try adding more pressure after the air is out.

On the other hand, if my bowel issues return, then it sounds like I'll need to divorce myself from that crema, given that the extra bits don't agree with me.

Maybe see a doctor for IBS or colitis.
You could also back off the ammount of grounds a smidge. Maybe your tape worm doesn't like Sumatra!! :rolleyes:

I bought my dad coffee off my credit card.The rest was used to buy soda and narcotics.

Attachments

• IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 14
Today I learned there are other coffee species besides Arabica and Robusta> Liberica AND Excelsa!

I expect a full report!

Excelsa
was recently re-classified as a variety of Liberica.
"Excelsa was recently re-classified as a variety of Liberica. However, even though the plants may be taxonomically similar, the actual coffee is so dramatically different that we still think of them as entirely separate species. It accounts for about 7% of world coffee production. It grows on large, vigorous trees at medium altitudes. Many beans have a distinctive "teardrop" shape, which gives it a family resemblance to Liberica, but their average size is much smaller.

Excelsa grows mainly in Southeast Asia, where it is used as a blending coffee, especially in house blends, to add complexity and depth. Excelsa has a distinctive tart, fruity, dark, mysterious taste. In blends, it enhances the middle and back palate and lingering finish of the coffee, giving the cup more substance and power.

Brewed on its own, it is a compelling and unique coffee experience, like a good Scotch. However, like Scotch, a cup of pure Excelsa is not everyone's favorite drink. And most people don't find the aroma of Excelsa beans themselves to be attractive, although some people love it. It would be a mainstay coffee for many coffee shops if it had the intense and pleasing aroma of Arabica or Liberica, but it doesn't."

Liberica
Liberica, Coffea liberica
A unique and irreplacable part of our worldwide coffee heritage, Liberica is an entirely separate species of coffee, with a very distinctive taste profile. It grows on vigorous 20- 30-foot trees in jungle environments - which is fortunate, because if it weren't strong enough to grow wild, it would have gone extinct. the type of men who worked in the nearby sugar cane fields and drank a LOT of coffee to keep up their energy during their hard work. Also, it is amusing to us that these roughs enjoy sitting around the town squares in the evening, still drinking coffee and playing rough games... like... chess? Yes, it's true.

After the coffee rust in 1890 destroyed over 90% of the world's Arabica stocks, Liberica was chosen as its replacement in the Philippines by the Secretary of the Interior of the USA, since at the time, the Philippines was a US territory and the Minister of Agriculture there reported his counterpart in the USA. This was a fateful decision because it helped propel the Philippines into prominence as a coffee supplier. In fact, many of the original USA coffee brands and blends used quite a bit of Philippine coffee and Liberica. However, when the Philippines gained independence and asked the USA to remove its military bases, the USA responded by ending the importation of key crops such as rice, sugar, coconuts and coffee, plunging the Philippines into a steep decline economically. Liberica languished for decades until 1995, when a conservation effort took the last remaining 500 plants they could find and began a program of propagation and cooperative re-planting in a number of Philippine growing regions. Unfortunately, the current obsession with Arabica has resulted once again in reducing the stock and range of Liberica, as well as cross-breeding with other species to make the high bushes more accessible.

Today we struggle to find pure Liberica and support the efforts to keep it as a distinct species and irreplaceable part of the coffee genome. Liberica beans can be huge, and have the unique characteristic in which many Liberica beans are asymmetric - one side is "lower" than the other, causing a little "hook" at the bottom of the bean. It is the only bean species in the world with this irregular shape.

Its almond-shaped beans have an exceptional aroma, almost floral and fruity, while its flavor is full and slightly smokey. This is a highly polarizing coffee. Some people are not even sure it tastes like coffee, or say it tastes woody or too jungle-y; others find it revelatory. Our favorite way to use it is as a mixer. Almost any coffee can be taken to the next level by adding about 10% Liberica. The aroma it adds is incredible, a true wow-factor.

http://lenscoffee.com/coffee-species-beyond-arabica/

Last edited:
I just got some Viking Coffee. I ordered the "dark set" wich had a bag of the original dark roast and a bag of tri blend dark. Yum!!
IMG_20171012_193737_410.jpg

Not exactly sure...I will ask.

Kenyan/Columbian/Brazilian beans.

Last edited:
The holiday season is creaping up on us! Think about if you want in on the Secret Santa exchange. We will open that list up on November 1. If you have any suggestions on new rules for this year please post up!

I think about the Secret Santa Swap constantly!! It is probably the highlight of my year! We have to think of something creative this year. Maybe add an item "One of My Favorite Things" or "Can't Live Without". Unless you just want to keep it simple-knives and coffee. Let's see what you guys come up with.

I hope we get more people this year.
I have already started gathering......

Last edited:
Not sure exactly what kind of thing you are looking to add, but I’ll throw some suggestions out there.
Knives, coffee, and:
Pen
Flashlight
Coffee accessory
Apparel
Local coffee - as in not widely available, like on the internet, not as in Starbucks or Caribou that is across the street
OR
MORE KNIVES, this is a knife forum, and who ever said “No thanks, I don’t want any more knives”.

Back