Coffee

At the Grand Central Market in downtown LA yesterday, I agonized if I should go for the outrageous $6.50 mocha...
the guy said if I didn't like it, he would refund the purchase
so I went for it, it was pretty darn good, but I can't say I'll be rushing back anytime soon
That's the most I've ever paid for a coffee drink.

2nd pic is my daily am drink

5LTDPE8.jpg

GuMjqXV.jpg

I'm a cheap coffee connoisseur. The one my wife and I both like is the McCafe Breakfast Blend we get at Wal-Mart. It's not too expensive but, IMHO, a lot better than Folger's or Maxwell house. I drink it black and my wife ruins hers with cream and sugar. :D

At the Grand Central Market in downtown LA yesterday, I agonized if I should go for the outrageous $6.50 mocha...
the guy said if I didn't like it, he would refund the purchase
so I went for it, it was pretty darn good, but I can't say I'll be rushing back anytime soon
That's the most I've ever paid for a coffee drink.

2nd pic is my daily am drink

Is it cheaper if you get it without the artwork? :)

The DW cold brew came out really good, gonna try to flavor my own since I liked it.. I got a bag of mulling spices from a high grade spice dealer which has essentially the same stuff they used and a bunch of herbal tea with hibiscus, orange peels and stuff like that so I'm gonna mix it all up and leave it for a month or so while I get better at roasting then make it for the holiday season

IMG_1511_zpsaxmiodb5.jpg

Picked this up from UPS this morning. I'm pretty sure I did it all wrong since I kind of didn't let the thing steep and just pressed it through(which was surprisingly easy given the fine grind) instantly.

IMG_1511_zpsaxmiodb5.jpg

Picked this up from UPS this morning. I'm pretty sure I did it all wrong since I kind of didn't let the thing steep and just pressed it through(which was surprisingly easy given the fine grind) instantly.

You might also look into doing the inverted brewing method the the Aeropress (upside down.) I find it works better then the regular brewing method. Lots of videos showing you how to do it. Took me a while to figure it out but it's well worth it!

Daniel.

You might also look into doing the inverted brewing method the the Aeropress (upside down.) I find it works better then the regular brewing method. Lots of videos showing you how to do it. Took me a while to figure it out but it's well worth it!

Daniel.
Yeah, the included instructions were terrible. 175 degrees brewing temp, no steeping.

I did make another 2 cups. My general impression was that it wasn't really much different from my pour over metal filter, which is kind of interesting. The reason I say that is because when I turn it over, half the content just kind of falls right into the cup without any pressure, though I'm using an even finer grind(finest setting on my hand burr grinder) than ever.

I'll try again tomorrow, maybe drink it black(which I normally don't) to see how much of the flavor I'm getting.

Yeah, the included instructions were terrible. 175 degrees brewing temp, no steeping.

I did make another 2 cups. My general impression was that it wasn't really much different from my pour over metal filter, which is kind of interesting. The reason I say that is because when I turn it over, half the content just kind of falls right into the cup without any pressure, though I'm using an even finer grind(finest setting on my hand burr grinder) than ever.

I'll try again tomorrow, maybe drink it black(which I normally don't) to see how much of the flavor I'm getting.

Yeah that's why I started doing it upside down. You don't lose half the water. I let mine steep for about a 1:15 and then flip it over and press. Also I was under the impression you where not supposed to use a real fine grind. I've always used a fairly course grind because I thought that's what you where supposed to do with a Aeropress.

This could all be completely wrong information. It was just me experimenting till I got the cup of coffee I wanted.

If you're using the filter papers a real fine grind would probably clog it, I'm thinking the screen would act more like a french press and probably why it went through really easy

If you're using the filter papers a real fine grind would probably clog it, I'm thinking the screen would act more like a french press and probably why it went through really easy
I have a metal filter for it, which seems really fine to the eye. The grind setting was stated to be for turkish, there was a bit of sediment, but not anything you would notice while drinking. I only noticed it because of the creamer I used.

I thought paper filters were a major no-go for coffee fanciers?
Not that I know of I think both have merits, I've seen paper filters used in barista competitions
http://sprudge.com/world-brewers-cup-102370.html

I have a metal filter for it, which seems really fine to the eye. The grind setting was stated to be for turkish, there was a bit of sediment, but not anything you would notice while drinking. I only noticed it because of the creamer I used.
Aha how you liking it so far

Aha how you liking it so far
I figure either drinking Turkish/Greek killed my taste buds, the French Vanilla creamer is covering the flavor, or those French Roast beans I opened over a month ago might have gone stale.

I did think french vanilla was worse than my usual hazelnut at covering the coffee's flavor.

Got it!

Raised the water temperature from 196 degrees to 208(my instant water heater doesn't allow finer settings), used more beans, and increased the steeping time from 1 min to 2 min. This cup is just right.:thumbsup:

I thought paper filters were a major no-go for coffee fanciers?

I mostly use paper to get a cleaner cup. I have found that rinsing them first helps to keep it from absorbing as much coffee as it does when they are dry. Some people talk about a paper taste, but I have never noticed it.

I love the paper filters that come with the Aeropress. I've never had a papery taste from them.

I hate metal filters. I always get a lot of sediment and a metallic taste.

I also rinse my paper filters and re use them in the AP. Here is my technique.....
After I stir the water to mix the grounds I fill it back up and put the plunger in. I push it slightly 1/8" or so. Then I pull back on the plunger to create suction. I steep it over the cup for however long. Just before the final push I turn it upside down a time or two to mix everything again. Then slowly push.

I have my grinder set on pulverize.... LoL! Not really. My grinder has 19 settings
1 (fine) -19 (whole bean) I leave it on 6. If that helps anyone.

IMAG2314.jpg

I have to rinse my white Chemex filters I've thought about drying them and reusing them a second time since they're so dense and pricey (for paper) but I use Chemex at work so I just toss them but I have a plan to find a little drying rack lol, you can see paper dust particles making the water cloudy as you rinse em out, not all paper filters are like that of course but when i first got them I tried it without rinsing because I was curious and the coffee tasted like paper a lot. Speaking of coffee I'm expecting more green beans today from Maria's they have a Kenya (Nyeri Kiandu) AB with a 91.8 score for just $7-8/lb : P

Last edited:
Back