Coffee

I've tried shaking like popcorn but the beans just slid around and didn't turn over. I've tried several types of pans. The cast iron skillet with a whisk gives the best results so far. The problem with a big uncoated steel wok (I have one) is that you get it so hot, oils from the beans leave carbon deposits on the surface. And then it's not uncoated anymore, LOL. In a cast iron skillet that just adds to the seasoning of the skillet.
A seasoned cast iron wok, or maybe a seasoned steel wok would probably work great.

Last edited:
Thank You Monofletch,
The coffee looks GREAT! And the Swiss army knife and key ring/sharpener will be put to good use.
hH0mPQS.jpg

Last edited:
I've tried shaking like popcorn but the beans just slid around and didn't turn over. I've tried several types of pans. The cast iron skillet with a whisk gives the best results so far. The problem with a big uncoated steel wok (I have one) is that you get it so hot, oils from the beans leave carbon deposits on the surface. And then it's not uncoated anymore, LOL. In a cast iron skillet that just adds to the seasoning of the skillet.
A seasoned cast iron wok, or maybe a seasoned steel wok would probably work great.
Oh that's interesting. Does it cause any bad flavors bc woks are supposed to accumulate a carbon coating on them, you're not really supposed to wash them out with soap. I just meant trying a traditional one vs a new one with a non stick coating.

Oh that's interesting. Does it cause any bad flavors bc woks are supposed to accumulate a carbon coating on them, you're not really supposed to wash them out with soap.
Perhaps I should have said "My wife has one." LOL Ain't messing with it, Nope. She likes it shiny, so shiny it will stay. And she's Chinese so who am I to argue? I have more say about the cast iron cookware.

I will take a look at a Chinese supermarket to see what they've got that might be suitable.

I've got both, both are hand me downs. I got a cast iron skillet from my grandmother that has to be 85 years old at this point. That thing is older than I am by a stretch. My wok was also a hand me down although it's a lot less sentimental to me as they're kinda like throwaway equipment and I don't use it on my SS stove (causes a fire ring discoloration). The cast iron pan makes the best buttermilk pan fried chicken in the world which I learned from an old roomate buddy who was the test chef for Robert DeNiro's Tribeca Grill's first 3 cookbooks. I think of the cast iron pan like my LeCreuset Dutch oven, going to have the same one until I'm dead, lol.

PS make sure you season the wok before you use it!

Had some strong Cottonwood Canyon Columbian with espresso this morning. Out with the old, in with the new.
It's a Britt dark roast Costa Rican morning tomorrow. Can't wait!

So, I mentioned ordering a couple things. They arrived yesterday. One was a scoop for getting green beans out of larger bags. It's so much easier than trying to pour out of the bag. The other was the roasting basket that I was talking about before.

My first impressions are that the quality is ok. It seems solid, but it remains to be seen how it will hold up with use. As you can see it doesn't hold much at a time. Not a big deal for me because I usually do small batches just for myself anyway. I used it with my air popper for the heat source and the result was an inconsistent roast. It also seemed to take a long time to build up heat with the open design compared to using the sifter.

Like anything there is a learning curve to using it and the real reason for getting it was to mess around with some fire roasting. It seems just the right size for using over a charcoal chimney when I get around to it. It was only $15, so not a huge loss if I end up not liking it.

dannyp,
That looks like a lot for $15. I'll try roasting some day...maybe.
That Britt dark roast Costa Rican is Smooooth. Thanks for the change of pace Monofletch Monofletch .
Can't wait to try the other.

Picked these two up today at a local coffee shop while I am in Washington for work. Have had the Honduran before when I lived out here but the Compassion Blend is new. Looking forward to getting that one home and trying something new.

Hard to find many things better in life than pairing good coffee with a great cause.

9gpADPp.jpg

Back