Coffee

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Monofletch, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Monofletch

Monofletch Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 14, 2010
    You make it look so easy...

Taylortat, GotSteel and Fullflat like this.
  2. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    That's interesting, you should give a heavy duty uncoated wok a try. It will make for the stirring process to be a breeze!

MrsR&T, Taylortat, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  3. GotSteel

GotSteel Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I wonder if a constant back and forth shaking (like when you make popcorn on the stove) would yield an even roast, off to Sweet Marias now brb : P

Taylortat, woodysone and Fullflat like this.
  4. DrHenley

DrHenley

May 31, 2019
    I've tried shaking like popcorn but the beans just slid around and didn't turn over. I've tried several types of pans. The cast iron skillet with a whisk gives the best results so far. The problem with a big uncoated steel wok (I have one) is that you get it so hot, oils from the beans leave carbon deposits on the surface. And then it's not uncoated anymore, LOL. In a cast iron skillet that just adds to the seasoning of the skillet.
    A seasoned cast iron wok, or maybe a seasoned steel wok would probably work great.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  5. u.hansen

u.hansen Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Thank You Monofletch,
    The coffee looks GREAT! And the Swiss army knife and key ring/sharpener will be put to good use.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  6. cchu518

Mar 6, 2013
    Oh that's interesting. Does it cause any bad flavors bc woks are supposed to accumulate a carbon coating on them, you're not really supposed to wash them out with soap. I just meant trying a traditional one vs a new one with a non stick coating.

GotSteel and woodysone like this.
  7. DrHenley

DrHenley

May 31, 2019
    Perhaps I should have said "My wife has one." LOL Ain't messing with it, Nope. She likes it shiny, so shiny it will stay. And she's Chinese so who am I to argue? I have more say about the cast iron cookware.

I will take a look at a Chinese supermarket to see what they've got that might be suitable.

MrsR&T, GotSteel and Taylortat like this.
  8. cchu518

Mar 6, 2013
    I've got both, both are hand me downs. I got a cast iron skillet from my grandmother that has to be 85 years old at this point. That thing is older than I am by a stretch. My wok was also a hand me down although it's a lot less sentimental to me as they're kinda like throwaway equipment and I don't use it on my SS stove (causes a fire ring discoloration). The cast iron pan makes the best buttermilk pan fried chicken in the world which I learned from an old roomate buddy who was the test chef for Robert DeNiro's Tribeca Grill's first 3 cookbooks. I think of the cast iron pan like my LeCreuset Dutch oven, going to have the same one until I'm dead, lol.

PS make sure you season the wok before you use it!

GotSteel and Taylortat like this.
  9. Monofletch

Jan 14, 2010
    This espresso is amazing drip coffee!!!

1919FC8D-967B-4A4A-BD69-182AB4BCA57C.jpeg

10. Monofletch

Jan 14, 2010
    Cafe Britt is my #1 go to home brew!
    Pena X Series Rhino.

57004DB0-4E87-4AB2-9721-DCE1FC8F66E1.jpeg

11. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Christmas exchange coffee all gone awhile ago, need to roast some more. I'm heading to Buffalo next week, have to track down some more fresh Café Grumpy while I'm there! :cool:

MrsR&T, GotSteel and Taylortat like this.
  12. Monofletch

Jan 14, 2010
    Good stuff for sure

13. dannyp

dannyp Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I roasted some a couple days ago myself. Then I ordered 10 more pounds of green coffee and a couple other roasting related items.:)

Taylortat, u.hansen and Monofletch like this.
  14. u.hansen

Nov 24, 2013
    Had some strong Cottonwood Canyon Columbian with espresso this morning. Out with the old, in with the new.
    It's a Britt dark roast Costa Rican morning tomorrow. Can't wait!

dannyp and Monofletch like this.
  15. dannyp

Nov 25, 2007
    So, I mentioned ordering a couple things. They arrived yesterday. One was a scoop for getting green beans out of larger bags. It's so much easier than trying to pour out of the bag. The other was the roasting basket that I was talking about before.
    [​IMG]

My first impressions are that the quality is ok. It seems solid, but it remains to be seen how it will hold up with use. As you can see it doesn't hold much at a time. Not a big deal for me because I usually do small batches just for myself anyway. I used it with my air popper for the heat source and the result was an inconsistent roast. It also seemed to take a long time to build up heat with the open design compared to using the sifter.

[​IMG]

Like anything there is a learning curve to using it and the real reason for getting it was to mess around with some fire roasting. It seems just the right size for using over a charcoal chimney when I get around to it. It was only $15, so not a huge loss if I end up not liking it.

GotSteel, u.hansen and Taylortat like this.
  16. u.hansen

Nov 24, 2013
    dannyp,
    That looks like a lot for $15. I'll try roasting some day...maybe.
    That Britt dark roast Costa Rican is Smooooth. Thanks for the change of pace @Monofletch .
    Can't wait to try the other.

dannyp likes this.
  17. Monofletch

Jan 14, 2010
    @u.hansen I told you. That Cafe Britt is my top dog. The only one better is the Cafe Britt holiday blend but it’s seasonal and only comes ground.

u.hansen likes this.
  18. dannyp

Nov 25, 2007
    Got my coffee in today along with a couple more sacks and a t shirt. The "master roaster" part is a bit cringe worthy, but still pretty cool overall.

[​IMG]

GotSteel, Taylortat and u.hansen like this.
  19. u.hansen

Nov 24, 2013
    I drank medium roast for years. Kaldi's Guatemala is a TOP NOTCH medium roast. Very Good
    Thanks @Monofletch

20. sbh06

sbh06 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Picked these two up today at a local coffee shop while I am in Washington for work. Have had the Honduran before when I lived out here but the Compassion Blend is new. Looking forward to getting that one home and trying something new.

Hard to find many things better in life than pairing good coffee with a great cause.

[​IMG]

Taylortat, GotSteel, u.hansen and 2 others like this.