Coffee

That's a beautiful knife and a wonderful espresso machine. I have the same one. Just moved from Chicago to Atlanta and the first thing I unpacked when I got here...
8ALic55.jpg

That's a beautiful knife and a wonderful espresso machine. I have the same one. Just moved from Chicago to Atlanta and the first thing I unpacked when I got here...
8ALic55.jpg
K Ken H> et al... Looks like a great coffee maker. It is a bit pricey for me. I drink mine black period and this business of frothing and so forth is of no use to me. But I'm glad you enjoy the machine and the coffee product. You like it strong, so I can see why the expresso machine is right for you.

Last edited:
Thank you for the nice words on the folder. I'm primarily a stock removal knifemaker, but do enjoy some forging work. I like the beauty of San Mai so the forging is worthwhile for that. Since my forging is all "baking soda" powered (Arm 'n hammer?) any Damascus is low layer count, and I've only done a few of those, and just to say "I did it" type of thing.

I spent several yrs living in South Louisiana where the cajuns make "real" coffee - strong at least {g} and grew to like a little taste in my coffee. Back then a cajun cafe would have two pots of coffee, one called "normal", and one called "light". The light pot was stronger than most coffee you'd find anywhere else.

The Breville espresso machine is a bit pricey for me also. I'm learning to spend a bit for "toys" these days. I lived my life saving to have resources to pay for emergencies to cover my wife and two girls, with some left over for retirement. Perhaps we lived a bit closer than was needed giving them the idea Daddy was a "tightwad", and maybe I was. These days at 73 yr old I realize those saving days are over, any money left over when I do pass my heirs will gladly spend for me. So, I'm slowly learning to treat myself to things I really want..... I'm still not called "Diamond Jim" {grinning}.

Sometimes I'll drink one of those frothy sweet coffee drinks. The wife really LOVES them. My normal cup of coffee is using the single espresso filter and put enough water thru for about a 6 oz cup, sometimes with a tad of honey, other times straight black works for me. I think that's called "Americano" coffee?

Last edited:
That Salvatore is truly a thing of beauty, they are pricey. Looks like the base unit is right around $2,000? They are a piece of art.

I've got a manual LaPavoni espresso machine that the wife purchased at a used shop. Got it to working and LOVED the looks of it, but the body developed a leak and the cost of parts was more than I was willing to put in it. That's when I purchased the Breville. I like the coffee from the Breville, but the machine is a tad on noisy side, and the excess water tray has to be emptied pretty often. Seems like for the money they could make a design improvement.

The Salvatore machines are amazing, I've seen a couple in person. :thumbsup: However, I will not ever own one unless I hit the lotto, lol (gotta play to win tho...). :(

Just back from a 5-day camping trip to celebrate the 4th! :D Weather was perfect! :cool:

Coffee the first morning, with my Redmeadow Cowbell EDC Pocket blade I wore the whole time (link to his sub-forum in my sig):
IMG_5743.jpg

Roasted some coffee this afternoon. Finished off the last of the Nicaraguan, most of the Peru I had left, and did the first roast from a batch of Costa Rican Tarrazu I got a while back.

Anyone up for Christmas in July?? Or maybe just wait for secret Santa??
I’m in if we keep it simple....

I can..... but it will not be my “normal” box. A couple bags of beans and a less expensive knife. Buying that 226 cleaned me out for a while!!

It’s slow in the summer!
Truth!

Ordered some Iron Bean last week, mostly for some good K-cups for easy caffeination at work, should be here tomorrow. :D Finally got in on some of their Unicorn, curious what it will be. Need to introduce my buddy here in CA to cold brew.

Roasted some coffee with my buddy at his house where I'm staying here in CA at the moment. His setup is a wee bit different than my air popper, lol...

IMG_2068.JPG

IMG_2069.JPG

IMG_2070.JPG

This is a Kaldi drum batch roaster, it does 1# at a time. He uses his old MSR Whisperlite International backpacking stove as a heat source (I happen to have two of these stoves, hmm...). :cool: Pretty slick. :thumbsup: This is an Ethiopian espresso blend from Sweet Maria's, one of my favorites, Ethiopiques. :)

Final results, with a pretty cool knife of course, in different lighting. ;)

IMG_2072.JPG

IMG_2074.JPG

IMG_2076.JPG

:D

lol, probably not! I'm pretty heavily invested in my poppers. It's a nice piece of equipment; but it's stupid simple. It's essentially just a bunch of reasonably heavy-gage stainless steel folded and bolted together, with a drum (riding simply on bearings) turned by a motor. A bit expensive for what it is IMO, and I think I could cobble something similar together for a good bit less $$$ if I wanted a larger batch capacity.

Never have been and never will be a coffee drinker, so bear with me.

Do most of you folks back off on hot coffee during the summer months? Is it mostly just a morning thing?

I'm an Inventory Analyst. I have to go down to the receiving dept when we have problems with loading or unloading trucks. It's been a hot summer here in MI. The last few weeks have been 90+ degrees. I've been working 2nd shift (3pm to midnight). I see folks in receiving drinking hot coffee all day long. I know the caffeine is probably reason for drinking it but drinking a cup of hot liquid at 3pm when it's 95 out? Yuck!

Back