Coffee

I like Green Mountain Coffee. A lot of their coffees are great. I also like DeathWish Coffee "The Strongest Coffee on Earth". It's great tasting for claiming that.

I definitely NEED to try some of that Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee

I'm also looking for a good inexpensive grinder ... any suggestions ?

According to the "experts", there are no good inexpensive grinders. They all have problems. I have a Hario Mini Mill. It does a good job for the small amount of
coffee I grind and I get some aerobic exercise in the morning. ;) I guess it depends on how much coffee you drink and how much of a geek you are.

http://coffeegeek.com/guides/howtobuyanespressomachine/getagrinder

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Home-Kitchen-Coffee-Grinders/zgbs/home-garden/289750

http://www.cooking.com/top_coffee-grinders_45-91-4294966513_p01/

I got my Jamaican Blue Mountain preground. They grind it when you order it or just a few days prior for freshness. Different grinds are available as are whole beans. Current crop stocks may be running low this time of year though. So you may not have as much choice of which estate it comes from. If you are going to try it, I suggest that you avoid blends. Some of them can have as little as 1/3rd genuine Blue Mountain bean in them. The thick resealable foil packs most come in assure freshness for the length of time a pack usually lasts, for me anyway.

Grinding and roasting your own sounds interesting, but I really don't want to put that much effort into it each morning. I can certainly understand why some people do though.

According to the "experts", there are no good inexpensive grinders. They all have problems. I have a Hario Mini Mill. It does a good job for the small amount of
coffee I grind and I get some aerobic exercise in the morning. ;) I guess it depends on how much coffee you drink and how much of a geek you are.

http://coffeegeek.com/guides/howtobuyanespressomachine/getagrinder

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Home-Kitchen-Coffee-Grinders/zgbs/home-garden/289750

http://www.cooking.com/top_coffee-grinders_45-91-4294966513_p01/

I've yet to taste the difference in a coffee when the only variable was the grinder.

Thanks for all the great info Codger :thumbup:

Ermmm... you're welcome but don't confuse me wit a knowledgable conne-sewer! :D

And give some consideration to trying some of the Hawaiian single estates. I lucked onto some several times at a local Walmart that was reasonably priced and pretty darn good. Unfortunately, most such beans are produced in limited quantities. And when a producer's crop is sold out, they can't crank up machines and make more. Maybe this is a reason it was not carried long by Wal-mart. Or maybe it was just a rotating trial marketing. At any rate, they don't carry it here anymore. This was Kauai Coffee Company 100% Hawaiian Single Estate bold, dark roast. On another occasion, they carried Sumatra Fair Trade Dark ROast Arabica. It was good too while it lasted. Neither was as good as the Blue Mountain, IMHO, but then the cost was half or less. Not much more than the Folgers shelved beside it.

Damn. Now you guys got me jonesing for some good coffee here in mid afternoon.

But they do talk about the bouquet, hints of fruits and nuts, the smell of a virgin scarifice.... :D

Do yourself a favor try Lock N Load Java.
Besides the cheesy tactical branding, it's really premium.

I don't like the Starbucks' Pike Place (like the OP), IMO, one of the worst coffees ever...let me reiterate that this strictly my opinion. I like their seasonal Casi Cielo, but since it's seasonal, more often than not I make my own espresso using Cafe Bustelo and a Bialetti stop top espresso maker.

I'm not really a coffee nut but when I drink it I want it to be good. So I guess I'm a coffee snob, when I drink it (I drink more hot tea than coffee). But nowhere near some of you guys. I don't exactly live in the coffee hotspot of America. Most people around here wouldn't know good coffee from hot water.

So that being said, my wife and I enjoy good African coffees (I've actually been to African and had coffee and my wife lived there) when we can find them. We like Sumatran among some others. I prefer the lower acidity levels, but find some of the S. American coffees are fine too, as long as they aren't over-roasted.

Strangely enough I've found some coffee at Walmart of all places that isn't half-bad. It's Eight O' Clock Whole Bean Colombian. For less than $5.00 a bag, the consistency is hard to beat. In several years of buying it regularly, I've only once had a bag that wasn't pretty much identical to the last. It doesn't have a very deep, complex flavor, but the aroma is terrific and as I said, the taste is the same bag to bag.

We grind ours using a cheap Braun grinder we've had for years. We've tried several others, including some expensive burr grinders but none did any better than this Braun and it just keeps on grinding. I do have a technique for it, which I think helps get the beans ground pretty evenly.

I also use Brita filtered water. And *gasp* we use an electric percolator. We like how hot it gets the coffee and for the lighter roasts like the Colombian we're using, it's a good setup.

Anyway, that's what I do!

What took me away from Starbucks was Peet's Coffee roasted in small batches on the West Coast. Coffee is so smooth, now I say Starwho?.... If you get the chance you gotta try Peets

What took me away from Starbucks was Peet's Coffee roasted in small batches on the West Coast. Coffee is so smooth, now I say Starwho?.... If you get the chance you gotta try Peets

Possibly the same peet's that just popped up in several places (often in vacated caribou coffee locations) in Pittsburgh?

Paradise Coffee roasters, here in Minnesota - everything I've tried has been very good to exceptional. Being that I live in Minnesota, I place my order, the coffee is roasted the next day (and stamped to indicate as such), and it's at my door the following day. I buy 5lb bags and it brings the price/lb down quite a bit.

Peace Coffee, also here, is a close 2nd.

A burr grinder is what the pros recommend for consistent grind. I use a $20 Mr. Coffee, and it's works quite well for my needs. Also, get a French press.

I just ordered some Death Wish coffee. Anyone ever try that? The ValHalla is suppose to be something special.

Pete's and Boyd's just started showing up here. Also Community and Gavalia.

I like black, unflavored coffee. We have Kirkland Signature at work, so that's free. I'll brew a cup of whatever I have in the house on weekends. Usually Dunkin' Donuts brand.

Back