Coffee

I mostly limit my coffee intact to two cups a day from my Kuerig. A medium roast to start then a dark roast to drink while I drive to work. These are the bulk (80 K Cup) packages from Sam's Club. My favorite for when I'm feeling "gourmet" is the Sumatran Reserve, which is an extra dark. Many of the dark roasts are too bitter for me, but the Sumatran has a smooth and rich taste. I also have a Kuerig re-usable filter that I use for whatever coffee my daughter brings home on her visits. She is the roaster and an assistant trader at a wholesale coffee company that imports green coffee from all the growing regions. They sell green to many of the smaller and bigger (including some to Folgers) roasters. She works in the headquarters and maintains records of samples as well as roasting, grinding, cupping and tasting (along with the QC staff) a half dozen or so samples from various growers each day. 4th of July visit it was Kenyan, Thanksgiving visit she brought Columbian. Of course having the beans express shipped from the grower, then roasted and ground a day or two later by your daughter just can't be beat....

I have always wanted to try this...... Raven's Brew

3ppgLg.jpg

Got Goat? Get it! One of our three most popular selections by professional baristas. Velvety mouthfeel and superb body. Uncanny high notes of fruity sweetness on top of a dry-chocolatey flavor base. Explore the exotic effulgences of Africa and the spicy redolences of India as you stroll your palate through fields of wild flowers and citrus groves. An epiphanous panoply of flavor in liquid-jewel form. Crudely named, but aptly famed. Also available in Certified Organic form. Dark Roast.

There is a noticeable difference in the "buzz"- I was bouncing off the walls more than usual!!
How much coffee did you drinnk to achieve that status? If it takes 1-2 cups I'm in! What was the difference?

3ppgLg.jpg

Got Goat? Get it! One of our three most popular selections by professional baristas. Velvety mouthfeel and superb body. Uncanny high notes of fruity sweetness on top of a dry-chocolatey flavor base. Explore the exotic effulgences of Africa and the spicy redolences of India as you stroll your palate through fields of wild flowers and citrus groves. An epiphanous panoply of flavor in liquid-jewel form. Crudely named, but aptly famed. Also available in Certified Organic form. Dark Roast.

Hmm, never heard of that one.

Having spend 20+ years in Uncle Sam's Army, I'll drink nearly any coffee as long as it's black and not decaf. Death before decaf!

Heck, my son makes cowboy coffee with freshly ground beans, no coffee maker, a dirt cheap Black and Decker grinder, only tap water, and a pot on the stove. It's good stuff too.

I agree decaf should be outlawed. I bought some by mistake one time as the label was similar to the regular grind. I made the coffee and noticed right off that it had an odd odor while brewing. I poured a cup and it was not long before I noticed it was decaf. Threw it all into the garbage, and now carefully check the label before buying.

That ain't coffee. That's a drink including coffee. :)

I agree wholeheadedly. I don't understand people saying that they love coffee if they cover the taste with other stuff.:confused:
I do at times add hot chocolate to my coffee but only to increase the caffeine.:D

Richard J recently got me hooked on his friend(Mr coffee here on the forum)'s coffee he calls Java Blues. I can't get enough of it.

Last edited:
I just ordered some Death Wish coffee. Anyone ever try that? The ValHalla is suppose to be something special.

Pete's and Boyd's just started showing up here. Also Community and Gavalia.

Death Wish is surprisingly mild and flavorful considering its claim as the world's strongest coffee imho. I really like it.

Welp, just read the second to last page and saw you came to the same conclusion. Rock on.

3ppgLg.jpg

Wow! Somebody spent some time with their dictionary to write that press release! But it does make me want to buy some...

I agree wholeheadedly. I don't understand people saying that they love coffee if they cover the taste with other stuff.:confused:
I do at times add hot chocolate to my coffee but only to increase the caffeine.:D

Richard J recently got me hooked on his friend(Mr coffee here on the forum)'s coffee he calls Java Blues. I can't get enough of it.

Very much agree! Although in the interest of full discosure, I do on occasion toss in a little chai or some hazelnut. Also have been known to drink a cappucino (especially while working in Italy), but NEVER add sugar.

Having spend 20+ years in Uncle Sam's Army, I'll drink nearly any coffee as long as it's black and not decaf. Death before decaf!

Heck, my son makes cowboy coffee with freshly ground beans, no coffee maker, a dirt cheap Black and Decker grinder, only tap water, and a pot on the stove. It's good stuff too.

Also did 20 years and can drink anything, but prefer good coffee. When my daughter was working as a barista at Sweet Eugene's House of Java, I once got a decaf capuchino with skim milk, no sugar. She explained that this is called a "why bother?". The answer is that it was late in the day, and I like the taste but don't want the caffeine.

I agree decaf should be outlawed. I bought some by mistake one time as the label was similar to the regular grind. I made the coffee and noticed right off that it had an odd odor while brewing. I poured a cup and it was not long before I noticed it was decaf. Threw it all into the garbage, and now carefully check the label before buying.

In her new job as a coffee importer, my daugher mentioned that there seems to be a marked decrease in quality of some beans being sent from Kenya to Germany for Swiss water decaffeination. They get samples of raw beans from the grower in Kenya and samples of the decaffeinated beans from the processor, and they are thinking that the processor may be cutting in inferior beans to increase profits. In my experience, I've had good and bad decaf and regular coffees....

Also did 20 years and can drink anything, but prefer good coffee. When my daughter was working as a barista at Sweet Eugene's House of Java, I once got a decaf capuchino with skim milk, no sugar. She explained that this is called a "why bother?". The answer is that it was late in the day, and I like the taste but don't want the caffeine.
uuuugggggghhhhhhhhhh, NEVER add anything to a cup of joe. Ain't joe then but some concoction with coffee in it. If you have to add something to get it down, you're doing it wrong. :)

When I don't want anymore the caffeine, I drink water. Death before decaf!

uuuugggggghhhhhhhhhh, NEVER add anything to a cup of joe. Ain't joe then but some concoction with coffee in it. If you have to add something to get it down, you're doing it wrong. :)

When I don't want anymore the caffeine, I drink water. Death before decaf!

Post of the day!

First cup of the day wakes me up enough to enjoy the rest of the pot!

259dbbq.png

First cup of the day wakes me up enough to enjoy the rest of the pot!

259dbbq.png

LOL :D Our family doctor (in the '50s) would often complain about his father. He told the old guy that he had to cut down on coffee and only drink one cup a day.
He went to check on him one morning and the old man was drinking out of a cup that held a full quart. Hey! It's only one cup.

I have to admit that I like cream and sweetener in my coffee and tea but I draw the line at those liquid candy bars sold at Starbucks and other such places.
A double shot latte macchiato with caramel. Half decaf and half low fat milk. Half sugar and half Splenda. Someone once said that you could tell hoe gay
a person is by the number of instructions they give the barista.

I've been buying Barista's House Blend (medium roast) for my Keurig. I have two cups first thing every morning when I get to work.

Charbucks and their liquid candy bars definitely does not count as coffee. I do typically add just a hint of milk first thing in the AM and will drink it black the rest of the day. I love a nice strong cup of joe along with some pecan or pumpkin pie. that is quite a treat. Considering the current season I may just be in luck.

I don't know how the weather is around you gentlemen, but around me I have seen more accidents from snow than I care to. So take care when you are traveling on 4 wheels!

Today I had some awesome Mississippi Mud. A deliciously strong and flavorful blend. Definite pick me up in the early morning hours

Another Peetnik here. Order direct from the Peets website for beans that are are wet/fresh, intoxicating aroma. Filtered water, black of course ... you won't go back to swill. If you got time for a treat use a French press. For convenience, like their K-cups, a real cup of coffee unlike the half filled Green Mountain K-cups (Vermont Blend good but weak). Neuman's Own K-cups are good in a pinch.

Peets is new around here. Pretty good stuff.

I had bought some Community Dark roast. There was a bag of med/dark in the bag too. I brewed some this morning. Not bad at all for $3.49 a bag (on sale --with a coupon)!!!!! :D

Back