Cold Steel Hold Out II

Looks like my next purchase could be the Hold Out II. I thought of the Hold Out I, but I got plenty similar sized fixed blades (I prefer larger blades to be fixed blades), and the Hold Out III seems to be bit too small for my taste. Anyway, if anyone owns the Hold Out II, I would love to hear some personal opinion and thoughts about this knife. I do know that this line up has no liners. I am curious to know if anyone who owns this ever had a incident where the handle might have broke or bent to the point it had to be serviced. I did view the Cold Steel demo video, and from it, it appears to be one solid knife.

Would get one. They good. Have multiples. Not a huge CS fan but this knife fits a certain niche for me. Light/slicey/stabby/durable/cheap.

Indeed. I am going for the green colored handle version. I wish they had same colored handle for a Satin finish, but it appears to only come with coated blade.

It's a very nice knife. Very light and solid. Never use it but rotate it with others I carry for those special needs. Wish they made one larger than the 2 but smaller than the 1.

It'll definitely be interesting. I am excited to see what the big fuss is about with the Tri-Ad lock. I do own several CS fixed blades but not folders with this supposedly strongest locking mechanism.

Any one of you applied loc-tite on the thumb stud for this knife? I just heard that its a screw-in type. I suppose you can be screwed if either side of the thumb studs come loose... How are yours been? Ever had a incident where you thought that the thumb studs were getting bit loose? Interesting design I must say. They could have easily made it a solid piece with even length, which would still make the studs ambidextrous, but instead they opted to be a screw-in.

쌍칼잡이;15823800 said:
Any one of you applied loc-tite on the thumb stud for this knife? I just heard that its a screw-in type. I suppose you can be screwed if either side of the thumb studs come loose... How are yours been? Ever had a incident where you thought that the thumb studs were getting bit loose? Interesting design I must say. They could have easily made it a solid piece with even length, which would still make the studs ambidextrous, but instead they opted to be a screw-in.
You can tighten them pretty well so lock tite is not needed really

The 2 works pretty decently as an EDC or outdoor folder. The handles are quite symmetrical, which means that it's pretty good in a variety of grips, overhand carving, chest lever, etc. The cutting geometry is quite good with a fairly thin edge and FFG on a relatively broad blade. It's also very good for camp kitchen tasks, though more annoying to clean than a flow through framelock design.

This is one of the better dagger-style designs. (I generally don't like them, especially the handle shapes.)

The handle works very well, even though there isn't a finger groove.

The trick to opening it quickly is to ride your thumb along the side of the handle at a slight angle.

I have picked up at least three of them over the past few years too.

I grabbed an AUS 8 Holdout II on a whim when the price was too good to pass up. I didn't expect to like it nearly as much as I do. It carries very well and light, and the handles and blade are both great, as others have mentioned. I liked it so much that I got the III to add to the sub 3" EDC folder collection.

I ve been looking at the Holdout 2 and 3. This thread really makes me want to try one.

I like the screwed studs better. I took the thumb stud out and replaced it with a modified wing nut to wave it.

I ve been looking at the Holdout 2 and 3. This thread really makes me want to try one.

They are great, but keep in mind you will have to deal with the normal CS/Tri-ad quirks. Stiff lock that takes time to break in, bolted down pocket clips, rattling pins inside the G-10, etc. All easily remedied though. I haven't handled an XHP version, hopefully they are more refined at their price point.

Speaking of the Tri-Ad lock, wasnt there a time or certain versions had issues with the spring that keeps the lock in position? I believe it had to do with the spring deterioration over time/use.

Anyone had such issues with the Tri-Ad lock? I would assume its been fixed but who knows (if its even an issue now days). I do realize there has been spring issues on other types of locks as well, but I never broke a spring on any of my knives locks.

Sweet. My H.O.II (OD Green/Blade Coated) just arrived earlier today. Here are my few first impressions:

- The saying about the Tri-Ad lock seems to up hold; it's very hard to open and also close (disengage the lock) the blade. Over time with use, it should get looser (I hope). I thought applying some lube around the blade pivot and locking mechanism would help... but all it did was cake up the knife with extra amount of lube (it came well lubed).

- When the blade is closed, the tip seems to look as if its almost exposed enough to accidently brush and finger or a hand and get poked or cut. Ofcourse I intentionally tried to see if I can make such contact, but luckily wasnt able to. It came as tip up carry by the way.

Here is a pic
ftlxc9.jpg

vqioog.jpg

P.S.
No rattling sound as of yet.

Last edited:
Nice, thinking about grabbing one. Metal detecting season is around the bend and kinfey axeies will be secondary for a while. B.T.W., the Hold Out 1 is monstrous, really freakin big.

I just snagged a Hold Out II in XHP off the exchange and can't wait to try it out.
The III is a great knife but a tad bit small, I still like it a lot and AUS8 is very good on this knife.
It is also cool how light the III is, I'm guessing the II will be similar.

The HO2 is one of my favorite do it all knives. Neutral handle not messed up by finger grooves, large leaf shaped blade with superb distal taper, bullet proof build and pretty light for its size. I have the AUS8a version and have been pondering one of the new ones. I also like the clip MUCH more than the ones offered on the Voyager and Recon 1. It's a true clip designed to accommodate thick materials, just wish it wasn't so shiny.

Back