Cold Steel Hold Out II

My HO II arrived over the weekend and I'm very pleased.
It is XHP w/DLC coating and green G-10, out the box it is super sharp and the grinds are even.
I wish the grind went back to sharpening notch and the lock harder to disengage than my HO III.

The smooth G-10 is very nice but I would of been ok with the grippy type too.
This is a great knife design and I can see myself getting a HO I at some point.
For such a simple design it fits remarkably well in my hand and the blade shape is very useful for me.

Nice! I grabbed the same H.O.II as you. I was hoping for a non-coated version with the OD Green handle, but no luck.
Give it a few more days worth of use. I think it will become a little smoother over time (just like mine). I think I made the mistake of Appling more lube, right out the box. I say this because too much extra amount of lube was leaking and even got some on the coating of the blade. I wiped it down (it was mixture of lubes), and now my coating has this unique rainbow-like oil stain shine to it. Not a big deal, but it looks like its greasy lol (especially when looked at a certain angle with certain lighting angle). I will wipe the blade with Daily Cleaner after work to see if I can get rid of it.

I had a couple but got rid of them. I found that during use when I set down the knife and pick it up again I can not tell by feel which is the cutting side. During one particular extended cardboard breakdown session I kept on choking up with my thumb on the cutting edge because of this problem. Didn't cut myself too badly but it could of ends really bad for me. As much as I like the shape of this knife I got ride of them due to safety reasons.

I HAVE ONE WITH A SERRATED BLADE. IT EASILY CUTS THOUGH SHEET ALUMINUM, PLASTIC PIPE, WOOD, LEATHER, WIRE, ROPE AND ANYTHING ELSE. BECAUSE OF THE SERRATIONS I CAN TELL BY FEEL WHICH IS THE CUTTING SIDE. BEST BLADE I HAVE EVER OWNED! THE CTS/XHP IS AWESOME.

Sent from my 5054W using Tapatalk

CTS-XHP is actually fairly basic, trace amounts of lots of stuff but mostly good old Carbon and Chromium. It isn't loaded with Vanadium carbides so it shouldn't pose any problems for your traditional sharpening methods. Think of it as high tech 440C.

CTS-XHP is actually fairly basic, trace amounts of lots of stuff but mostly good old Carbon and Chromium. It isn't loaded with Vanadium carbides so it shouldn't pose any problems for your traditional sharpening methods. Think of it as high tech 440C.
I think its more than just fairly basic, being a favourite of so many knife enthusiasts and such. Still have to try one out myself though. Heard nothing but good about it

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

I think its more than just fairly basic, being a favourite of so many knife enthusiasts and such. Still have to try one out myself though. Heard nothing but good about itSent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
"Basic" can be a good thing sometimes. https://www.cartech.com/ssalloysprod.aspx?id=3710
(Nominal Analysis)1.60 C, 0.50 Mn, 0.40 Si, 16.00 Cr, 0.35 Ni, 0.80 Mo, 0.45 V, Bal. Fe Air hardening, high carbon, high chromium, corrosion resistant alloy which can be described as either a high hardness Type 440C stainless steel or a corrosion resistant D2 tool steel. Possesses corrosion resistance equivalent to Type 440C stainless but can attain a maximum hardness of 64 HRC, approaching that of D2 tool steel. Now available in strip product form.

FOR ME, IS AWESOME DEFENSE WEAPON. I HAVE THE SERRATED BLADE. IT CUTS THROUGH EVERYTHING I HAVE TRIED. A PERFECT EDC KNIFE. IT IS WEIGHTLESS AND FITS MY HANDS.

It looks cool. What is the intended use of HO2?

You can use it for anything including camping, normal edc chores etc. Also, the blade looks just like a mini french chef knife.
I wouldn't recommend it for self defense tho, if your idea of SD is stabbing, as it has no contour/guard that can prevent the hand from sliding when stabbing forcefully. The keyword is "forcefully".

I AM A MARTIAL ARTIST. I PRACTICE EVERY DAY STABBING AND SLASHING. THE SERRATED BLADE CUTS MUCH DEEPER THAN MY PLAIN HO II. AS FAR AS MY HAND SLIPPING DOWN AND GETTING CUT. DOES NOT HAPPEN. LINN THOMPSON DESIGNED THE HO II AS A FIGHTING KNIFE. HE IS AN EXPERT ON KNIFE FIGHTING. THE KNIFE HANDLE IS DESIGNED NOT TO TWIST OR SLIDE IN YOUR HAND.

You can use it for anything including camping, normal edc chores etc. Also, the blade looks just like a mini french chef knife.
I wouldn't recommend it for self defense tho, if your idea of SD is stabbing, as it has no contour/guard that can prevent the hand from sliding when stabbing forcefully. The keyword is "forcefully".

Thanks hkyew! It doesn't look like camping knife though.

@22jaymondo, by the look, hand may slip down and get cut. Do you hold a certain way prevent the hand from sliding?

Last edited:
I AM A MARTIAL ARTIST. I PRACTICE EVERY DAY STABBING AND SLASHING. THE SERRATED BLADE CUTS MUCH DEEPER THAN MY PLAIN HO II. AS FAR AS MY HAND SLIPPING DOWN AND GETTING CUT. DOES NOT HAPPEN. LINN THOMPSON DESIGNED THE HO II AS A FIGHTING KNIFE. HE IS AN EXPERT ON KNIFE FIGHTING. THE KNIFE HANDLE IS DESIGNED NOT TO TWIST OR SLIDE IN YOUR HAND.

OKAY OKAY

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

@22jaymondo, by the look, hand may slip down and get cut. Do you hold a certain way prevent the hand from sliding?
JUST HOLD THE KNIFE WITH YOUR INDEX FINGER IN THE CUTOUT NEAR THE END OF THE HANDLE. ALSO YOUR THUMB ON TOP OF THE HANDLE. WHEN DOING A STAB PRETEND U ARE PUSHING A DOOR BELL. YOUR ARM WILL FOLLOW YOUR THUMB TO YOUR TARGET

JUST HOLD THE KNIFE WITH YOUR INDEX FINGER IN THE CUTOUT NEAR THE END OF THE HANDLE.

HOLD THE KNIFE WITH YOUR INDEX FINGER IN THE CUTOUT NEAR THE END OF THE HANDLE. WHEN DOING A STAB LAY YOUR THUMB ALONG THE TOP. LIKE RINGING A DOOR BELL. GRIP THE KNIFE FIRMLY. IT WON'T SLIP.

Doesn't matter how you hold it, it is just going to have a higher risk of slipping compared to other handle with more choil or guard. It's simple physics, really not sure how you can dispute that. Whether you need it is another matter.

Also, chill man, I'm not saying it *will* slip on you, maybe it won't happen to you with your vice grip, I'm just saying it has more tendency to, when you stab very hard and maybe hit something hard like bone. Remember the keyword I mentioned.

I got 4 hold outs, 2 XHP 4 inch, 1 aus8 4 inch, 1 aus8 3 inch. So I got nothing against them. Definitely use it for whatever you want to do.

I do not think Holdout will slide in hand,the grip is very secure,imo,one of best knives designed ever for sd,and good for utility too.Wish there was 4.5 version,would grab it in a second!

RIGHT ON, LONESTAR! WATCH THE VIDEO. THE KNIFE NEVER SLIPS. Hkyew IF U ARE SO AFRAID OF THE KNIFE SLIPPING, DON'T USE IT. WITH YOUR FINGER IN THE CUTOUT IT WON'T SLIDE DOWN ON TO THE BLADE. THAT'S PHYSICS.

This blade shape along with thin grind rocks,especially 6inch version.Much better than many other tactical knives,and its good utility cutter too.

Back