Cold Steel released the AD-15

I find this same thing in regards to people who pay Greg Medford's prices in the $600+ he wants for his BIG Medford Folders with D2 blade steel.
Why?

It makes sense to me; if you’re buying a $600 folding airplane wing, it’s not like you need the blade to be made out of ZDP-189 or something. 3V/4V would probably make the most thematic sense, but, really, the vast majority of medfords see little to no use, so the blade steel is nearly irrelevant.

Back on topic, though: I can’t quite stomach dropping $50 more on a folder compared to my Recon 1 just to try out an unfamiliar lock type.

I’ll pick one up through a trade or forum sale eventually. I’m in no rush. I have plenty of folding sharp things already - many with S35VN blades - that cost me less, weigh less, and are equally-functional work tools.

Also, I’m generally staunchly against being an early adopter of a new product. I succumb to the hype occasionally, but, it always seems ultimately best to wait for the initial reviews and problem reports to come in.

I get the feeling like I'm in the minority here, but personally I'm way more interested in the AD-10. I might get an AD-15 someday if I find one at a good price, but to me the AD-10 looks like a more practical knife. The handle looks more filling and rounded, you don't need to be gripping the lock for it to be extremely strong, the thumb studs are not as much in the cutting path, and the blade is hollow ground vs the flat ground like on the AD-15. Aside from inherent cool factor (which is admittedly high), I wouldn't pick the AD-15.

I get the feeling like I'm in the minority here, but personally I'm way more interested in the AD-10. I might get an AD-15 someday if I find one at a good price, but to me the AD-10 looks like a more practical knife. The handle looks more filling and rounded, you don't need to be gripping the lock for it to be extremely strong, the thumb studs are not as much in the cutting path, and the blade is hollow ground vs the flat ground like on the AD-15. Aside from inherent cool factor (which is admittedly high), I wouldn't pick the AD-15.

Right here in the minority with you. I've got the AD10 coming and I'm looking forward to checking it out. While the scorpion lock is interesting from an engineering and design point of view, I just have no desire to own it on a folding knife.

I like my handles to be...good...and handlelike.

Right here in the minority with you. I've got the AD10 coming and I'm looking forward to checking it out. While the scorpion lock is interesting from an engineering and design point of view, I just have no desire to own it on a folding knife.

I like my handles to be...good...and handlelike.

Your minority opinion isn't really misplaced, I have customs of both the AD10 and the 15, the AD15 is an amazing knife, but if i was forced at gun point to chose the 10 or the 15, I would have to keep my AD10. I think it's an absolute steal that CS are releasing them and that they are so closely matched to the custom versions. Both models are my favourite knives in the whole collection, for these prices I would be buying both.

I want a AD-15 because it is different! I like to get interesting locks on knives. The same locks over and over is boring.

The AD-10 looks great, but it is pretty much like the Ultimate Hunter that I already own.

Well it's here. First impression is it's a bit bigger than my Dpx which I intend to replace with it. It operates exactly as expected very smooth opening and one hand closing. This has bronze bushings. The g10 is patterned nicely, the clip is good but I'd prefer deep carry so may look at other options. The blade is ground very well and centering is perfect. Fit and finish is excellent overall, I see no issues at all. The thumbstuds are positioned well enough for smooth opening.
I will be dying the g10 black because they should have done it in the first place.
http://imgur.com/6vkPw2n

I asked in the Cold Steel forum but I suppose it won't hurt to ask here as well. Is this in stock anywhere? Bladeforum dealers preferred but if not please shoot me a PM.

I asked in the Cold Steel forum but I suppose it won't hurt to ask here as well. Is this in stock anywhere? Bladeforum dealers preferred but if not please shoot me a PM.
I haven't looked anywhere else for the ad15 it must be available though.

I found them at a couple of places, but I am not supposed to post the info-or so I have been told. I also don’t know if they are BF dealers. They are a couple of leading knife dealers.

Edit. One has sold out. I just checked. They might all be gone now.

It's a nice knife. Cold Steel did a good job with it. It's well made and solid. But it's not a one-handed knife. Yes, you can open and close it with one hand, but it's a hassle.

For me, opening and closing a knife easily with one hand is important. This design doesn't do it.

I just got mine. At first I found it awkward to close one-handed. Then I watched a couple vids to see how people do it, practiced some more and it's natural now.

I just got mine. At first I found it awkward to close one-handed. Then I watched a couple vids to see how people do it, practiced some more and it's natural now.
Yup it's just muscle memory, not hard to learn.

I know how to do it, and I can do it, but it's a hassle. Definitely not going to flip it open. Not mine.

I compare it to my EDC -- a Benchmade Rukus 610 -- which is a considerably bigger knife. It flips open easily. Locks up solid. And falls closed when I release the Axis lock. It's a dream to use compared to the AD15.

I think the scorpion lock would benefit from a small little thumb ledge on the locking bar that would allow you to push it up using one hand a little easier

Just my 2 cents, the AD-15 handle is actually very comfortable, the lockbar looks weird but its not an ergonomic issue at all, was as comfortable as the AD-10 in my hand.

I think the scorpion lock would benefit from a small little thumb ledge on the locking bar that would allow you to push it up using one hand a little easier
I see your point about the SL, some improvements can be made for sure. For me the g10 needs to be smooth and a better clip would be a huge deal, a one handed knife needs to be insertable and removed with one hand without ripping at the pocket. I would love to see this in a 3" blade too and the weight needs to drop. Blade style options should be added too.

Cold Steel doesn't typically deliver as refined a knife as say Spyderco. I almost always need to tweak my Cold Steel folders. I actually enjoy that but I could see how them experiencing some popularity here would also result in more people expressing discontent with something like the clip which will tear up your pocket unless you remedy it.
I used a Dremel under the clip and sanded around the clip. I also sanded the under-sided tip of the pocket clip. It doesn't have sufficient clearance because the very tip is angled down. This is common with Cold Steel. Sometimes I've bent up that little portion of clip but you risk it snapping off.
NMP7XwHl.jpg

Back