Cold Steel U.S.A. Made Traditional?

Insipid Moniker

Gold Member
Not a combination of words that would have occurred to me a short time ago. I'm getting more interested in traditional patterns with high end steel for the improved cutting performance that slim blades with good cutting geometry offer and the people-friendly looks they offer (it doesn't hurt that I feel traditionals are often better looking than modern folders). This is a bit bigger than the patterns I've mostly looked at, but it sure made me perk my ears up and hope this is something Cold Steel continues to pursue.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/54VSM/Ranch_Boss.aspx

I realize it's impossible to give any real impressions when nobody has held the thing, but I was wondering what those more knowledgeable than myself thought of CS dabbling in the traditional world.

holy cow thats a lotta dough! long pull no swedge doesnt exactly scream uber expensive quality to me though, i have a bear and sons that has a similiar blade... nice looking albeit basic and no for me for that much
Camillus used to make alot of the coldsteel made in the USA stuff, sadly not since 2007
wonder whos making this pattern?

Gene

Cold Steel has made traditionals in past.

This one looks nice.

It does not look $345 nice (it remains to be seen what it actually sells for).

I have never ponied up for the Case/Bose offerings though, either.

If I'm laying out that much cash I'm going to just get a custom (for more).

Cold Steel has made traditionals in past.

This one looks nice.

It does not look $345 nice (it remains to be seen what it actually sells for).

I have never ponied up for the Case/Bose offerings though, either.

If I'm laying out that much cash I'm going to just get a custom (for more).

Based on the MSRP of their other offerings I'd guess between $180-200. Might be higher since it's an LE, though.

Yea that's nice but jeepers creepers it's too much dough. Look around and you'll find all kinds of knives that will make you very happy

It's wouldn't be the first time for a Cold Steel-branded traditional. Camillus made a couple of traditionals for Cold Steel. I remember seeing a stockman and a muskrat... but as Gene mentioned, that was the pre-2007 Camillus.

My impression from visiting the link you provided: they'll do little else but dabble.

As a couple of others have noted, the Cold Steel web site always list the full MSRP. Street price is always quite a bit lower. Just look at the MSRP for a Case knife and compare that to what they go for on-line. I'd bet the street price will end up around the $200 mark.

As for the actual manufacturer, AFAIK, the only commercial maker of traditional knives who has been willing to use CPM alloys has been Queen. That knife bears a fair resemblance to a Cattle King. 4 1/4" and the blade profiles look about right.

As a couple of others have noted, the Cold Steel web site always list the full MSRP. Street price is always quite a bit lower. Just look at the MSRP for a Case knife and compare that to what they go for on-line. I'd bet the street price will end up around the $200 mark.

As for the actual manufacturer, AFAIK, the only commercial maker of traditional knives who has been willing to use CPM alloys has been Queen. That knife bears a fair resemblance to a Cattle King. 4 1/4" and the blade profiles look about right.

If it hits at a street price around the $200 mark, and the fit and finish are up to snuff, it would be worth it in my mind.

No gaps, thin primary grind with a decent edge, and it should shine.

Nice-looking knife, but as others have said WAY overpriced - even for a knife with "the potential to last a lifetime without re-sharpening"! ;) Interesting that Cold Steel are dipping their toes in the traditional folder market again, they clearly think there's money to be made there. It'll be interesting to see which other manufacturers (if any) fancy a paddle. Interesting times for traditional knives.

If it hits at a street price around the $200 mark, and the fit and finish are up to snuff, it would be worth it in my mind.

No gaps, thin primary grind with a decent edge, and it should shine.

The covers look pretty sweet, but the blades don't look nice enough IMO. They need crisp lines for that kind of money.

That's the price of three GEC knives.

But, but...this is...

destined to be the world's premiere production Stockman Knife

Limited to 600 unique pieces

newly upgraded with some of the highest quality materials in the industry today

This upgrade to superior high-end materials ensures cutting capabilities rarely seen in even the most expensive custom knives

the edge on this truly beautiful traditionally styled working man's knife has the potential to last a lifetime without re-sharpening!

highly collectible

would make a wonderful gift and keepsake as well as a treasured heirloom to pass on to future generations.

;)

Looks like a really nice Stockman. I'm not big on super steels and generally prefer a softer steel for a carry/work knife. Not really my cup of tea for the price, but to each his own:)

Back