Cold Steel U.S.A. Made Traditional?

I really like this Ranch Boss and the fact it combines "modern steel" with a nicely done traditional look. When I consider the very clean fit and finish CS offers on their entry level stuff... I could jump. Then, getting rational, I wonder what actually is the advantage "performance" wise of high end steel on a folder ? Not much, pleasure of owner excepted... Even at the street price, I see many traditional folders made with traditional steels that make me lust way more, because price wise the exclusive steel is traded for exclusive workmanship... As a folder, I find the Lucky way more fascinating, although I don't care for the serrated blade. With a curved blade and a straight blade, this would be a winner in my book !

Just got a promo email from them, MSRP is now down to $279. Still $$$$ in my mind. Nice to see them do more US made stuff in any case though.

It's wouldn't be the first time for a Cold Steel-branded traditional. Camillus made a couple of traditionals for Cold Steel. I remember seeing a stockman and a muskrat... but as Gene mentioned, that was the pre-2007 Camillus.

My impression from visiting the link you provided: they'll do little else but dabble.

the Camillus made CS folders were no slouches

It is a real nice design but WAY over priced, they are playing the "Limitied to 600" game to fetch them more money than the knife is worth. Notice how they do not say who makes it? If I am paying $349 for a knife I'd rather it be both made and marketed by the same company. Cold Steel does not make their own knives as far as I know, never have, design yes.

Last edited:
Well, the street price appears to be $209.

With the premium steel, in that pattern, I think that is a decent price.

Assuming a nice fit, no gaps, and decent walk and talk.

the Camillus made CS folders were no slouches

That is a good looking folder.

I wish I had grabbed a set of their traditional folders in carbon back in the day!

So, does anyone have one of these yet? I've seen a few great deals go by, and I'm thinking of jumping on one. Would this be a good knife @ $175?

I've bought a Bose/Case before, and I've spent near $150 for one of the Bladeforums' Traditional of the year knives, (2007) so I'm not against buying a good quality traditional, if the value is there.

Any thoughts???

Unfortunately having "Cold Steel" stamped on it kills it for me, anytime I hear their name I just picture Lynn Thompson slashing hanging meat and the catch phrases, "Indestructible, Ninja, Zombie slayer, etc..." not really something that matches up with what is supposed to be a timeless classic. This is like Allen Edmond's deciding to make a running shoe to me. And since when is s53vn a super steel? Its just a modified S30v, which is nice but not hundreds of dollars nice. Maybe CPM M4 or something would have been a better choice for that price/hype.

it does sorta look like the cattleking (queen) or any jumbo stockman for that matter but for those kinda bucks it better have proper swedge on the blade for the long pull, like its shown kinda looks like a cheapie
Gene

Swedge?

hahahahahha. what did Barnum say.
can't blame cold steel for dipping a toe.
even at street price i'd rather have a couple Moore Maker.
would not hurt my feelings if the blades had matchstriker pulls too. that says old time quality and we know what we are doing.
buzz

Last edited:
So, does anyone have one of these yet? I've seen a few great deals go by, and I'm thinking of jumping on one. Would this be a good knife @ $175?

I've bought a Bose/Case before, and I've spent near $150 for one of the Bladeforums' Traditional of the year knives, (2007) so I'm not against buying a good quality traditional, if the value is there.

Any thoughts???

It seems like a nice knife, but without knowing by whom it's made it's hard to say. I'm inclined to say that for under $200 it's justifiable, but I'd need to see the fit and finish to be sure. If only one could handle the knife before purchase.

It does look very nice. I'm sorry to say, I'd never pay that much, regardless of the materials or where its made (IMO).

Even 180-200 is pushing it a bit (IMO). Of course, I'd most definitely pay 135+ for GEC, Queen and Canal Street, because those brands and their like cannot be rivaled, or upstaged, by a company who offers sungalsses, tomahawks, boomerangs and sticks on the same webpage, LOL.

I'm sorry, I'm not really CS bashing here....they do make some nice tomahawks......and their Lawman isn't half bad either. It's just hard to take them seriously concerning traditionals is all. I think perhaps, to be fair, and after some thought, I just don't want a slippie with the Cold Steel logo on it.

Last edited:
I actually made an offer on the one I posted about earlier, for their asking price, but they never responded. I was willing to fork over the dough (albeit at the significant savings @ $175).

I'd probably still buy one, at that price, but not much more.

Anyone handled one???

Honestly, In that steel, with good fit and finish I'd love one of these.

I'm not really in a position to lay out the cash, so it likely won't happen.

But I looks a lot like my old timer stockman with better materials.

As has been said, Cold Steel has put out some nice traditional patterns in the past.

Last edited:
It's wouldn't be the first time for a Cold Steel-branded traditional. Camillus made a couple of traditionals for Cold Steel. I remember seeing a stockman and a muskrat... but as Gene mentioned, that was the pre-2007 Camillus.

My impression from visiting the link you provided: they'll do little else but dabble.

There was also a 2 blade folding hunter a la the Case 6265, and a lockback hunter like the Queen #3. Both are very rare- I've only seen them come for sale once or twice, and it was originally thought the lockback hunter was a myth that never made production until one showed up on the big auction site with the original paperwork to match.

Back