Coldsteel Sold???

Man this is the worst thing to happen this year, I'm depressed.

Knife companies come and go. We have seen a lot of good companies disappear over the years and someone always steps up to take their place. Cold steel is not even a manufacturer; whatever products their suppliers were working on will simply hit the market under a different brand. The only thing that anyone may actually miss is the over the top marketing style that LT had.

n2s

Knife companies come and go. We have seen a lot of good companies disappear over the years and someone always steps up to take their place. Cold steel is not even a manufacturer; whatever products their suppliers were working on will simply hit the market under a different brand. The only thing that anyone may actually miss is the over the top marketing style that LT had.

n2s

Those products only hit the market if someone contracts them to be made. Otherwise they go away and manufacturing capacity gets shifted to other things.

I suspect people are going to be missing a lot more than just Thompson's quirky personality.

Cold Steel products were contracted to their specific specifications, designs, materials, etc. Many of the products they sold simply would not exist without their specifications and contracted manufacture.

Cold steel is not even a manufacturer; whatever products their suppliers were working on will simply hit the market under a different brand. The only thing that anyone may actually miss is the over the top marketing style that LT had.
n2s

He doesn't owe anyone anything, except maybe his employees. You bought a knife from his company and that's it. That is the end of the transaction, aside from possible warranty work.

Would a statement be nice? Yes. But it is not owed.
What about my warranty? I’m owed an explanation

Well, to add insult to injury as I was cruising the Forum tonight I heard a loud crash and tires screeching.

An A-hole drunk driver just smashed into my 4Runner and took off. Rear drivers tire is now living near the back seat.

Thank goodness the cops caught them, but I guarantee the insurance company is gonna short-change us.

2020 is garbage.

The driver is lucky I am a reasonable man...but Oooohhhh boy I was having thoughts of meat boots....

first your poor dawg and now this. awful. so sorry. hopefully better things coming towards ya.

I agree, I'm losing my job... found out today.

I call my friend to vent - he lost his job too.

sorry to hear that. that is bad news. really crappy timing before xmas and all.. we got a new year coming and im on a positive note lately, not sure why but I am, so im thinking you'll find something better and get back to life in no time.

sorry to hear that. that is bad news. really crappy timing before xmas and all.. we got a new year coming and im on a positive note lately, not sure why but I am, so im thinking you'll find something better and get back to life in no time.
Thank you.

I'll also be optimistic.
And hug that last Recon Tanto I just bought, as I wouldn't buy it if I knew I'll be laid off.

On the positive, I have 3 weeks to find something else.

Well, we need to take inventors and innovators out of the history books then! Who knew that 'the masses' were responsible for creativity and innovation, just because they wanted things?

If there is a demand for something; someone will produce it.

n2s

Well, we need to take inventors and innovators out of the history books then! Who knew that 'the masses' were responsible for creativity and innovation, just because they wanted things?

I doubt that people like Demko are going to stop designing knives, just because Cold Steel bit the dust. As for popular knives like the Trail Master or Bush Ranger, I am sure that someone, perhaps Bark River or Blackjack, will step up and produce their own version. I only hope that they can pay attention and give us a quality leather sheath with a micarta or g10 handle and in A2 or V3 steel.

n2s

Cold Steel products were contracted to their specific specifications, designs, materials, etc. Many of the products they sold simply would not exist without their specifications and contracted manufacture.

On top of that, who knows what sort of contractual obligations were worked into this deal? Maybe the manufacturers for CS products won't be allowed to release products like these elsewhere or for other (new) customer companies. They'll make whatever GSM tells them to make and that's it. No idea, but something tells me that GSM Outdoors will most likely have tried to nail down every existing piece of Cold Steel IP, to include designs, designers, current manufacturers, marketing, etc. for their use only. About the only thing I expect candidly is that they'll scale down CS's catalog by quite a lot (all the awesome, oddball weapons will probably go away) and production will be moved to China, with the former CS manufacturing vendor(s) being told to sign a non-compete clause of some kind. Sadly, Cold Steel and its assets probably just got put into the work portfolio of some GSM employee brand manager who got told about this a week ago and he was like "...who?". As there are rumors that most of Cold Steel's current personnel have been let go, that means we won't even have the people who had the passion and drive for these products and their design around anymore.

Sad, really.

Many of us have had family and friends pass away this year, heck some users on here have even died. It's definitely not the worst thing to happen this year. It's a knife company, it sucks, but there is still existing stock out there to buy.

Maybe a little perspective is in order.

All good things come to an end.

(Would you spend that kind of money on something that is only warranted for 1 year?)
A trailmaster in cpm3v with peters heat treat would hardly need a warranty; Ive put a Carbon V trailmaster,as well as a Drop Forged Survivalist through their paces, there is hardly a worry in my mind about a trailmaster or recon scout in 3v failing....

What about my warranty? I’m owed an explanation
Not necessarily, if they reorganized the company, they might not be responsible for that warranty any longer. Depends on the sale. I've seen that happen before.

In case anyone needs to contact Cold Steel in California use 1-800-255-4716

The current phone number listed on the CS website does not connect to anything to do with cold steel.

We have confirmation of RIF's. I called and asked the kid who answered if it was true that there was layoffs. He replied, "everyone". He said he'd be gone soon as well and it was almost over.

Sad times.

Damnit, I didn't think to ask if Lynn addressed them...

Back