Coming this Spring - KA-BAR Becker BK40 Folder

The one thing that I truly miss with this knife, is that it does not have a Becker Soul. Think of the BK62 process: Hearts and Minds were involved, even when Kepharts are made by other companies, they lack the love and the commitment that Ethan put into.

The thought of a Becker Folder has triggered countless posts in this Forum.
Unfortunately Kabar dismissed all this and brought a soulless cheap blister package folder made in China.

When buying a Becker, you trust this knife to be a good one and that it has intrinsic worth.

I could drone on and on, but it seems pointless...

edit: spelling

I’m still hoping for a Becker cleaver or ULU. American made of course.
My work is never done here. :D
2v2EC6kNWxACRfS.png
2v2EC6kjnxACRfS.png

I just brought this up in another thread, I think the better move for kabar would have been to give this becker folder the dozer treatment. Make it in Taiwan, charge a little more, offer D2, and a back lock! I get that a USA folder might not be feasible but other companies like Esee and Ontario have done what Kabar themselves have also done (with the Dozer) and bring a quality folder to market that honors their company name without resorting to the lowest price point manufacturing.

Most importantly, don't put "Becker" with "USA" on the front of the blade and another country name on the back. I don't really care where it is made, but doing that is embarrassing.

Seems this knife was made solely for Beckerheads to have something to Beckerhead about and not much more.

I need a more compelling reason than this company has released a folder.

Thanks, but the blade would be just a bit longer than the Becker handle. :eek:
Excellent mock up!
I’ll bet they will have the technology to make the scales longer :p and that would be a folder of Awesomeness! Congrats on a very nice Knife GeofS :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Right! So give us a low end US steel like 420hc, double the price (from $30 to $60), and make it in the USA. That is my point. Charge us more but make it here. They aren't going to get the the numbers they think when competing in the Chinese made budget market. That segment is dominated on line by Chinese companies online, and in big box stores by Kershaw, CRKT, SOG, Gerber, etc. This knife isn't going to sell to your hardcore fan base.

I think going cheap US made (keep it under $100) would have been the way to go to play on the kabar becker brand. This offering misses the market they should have been after while tries for two markets they can't really compete in.

Why bother? It is not like we have a shortage of cheap folders on the market already. I would imagine a Becker folder to be something along the lines of a folding BK-7/BK-9. Same steel, same size, similar handle, overbuilt lock; something that we can carry in our packs to reduce panic among those sensitive hikers types, yet sturdy enough to use in place of a full size chopper. Packing something that folds down to 10" is easier than a 14-15" knife. If you want to make a folder, then make something worthy of the brand.

n2s

Why bother? It is not like we have a shortage of cheap folders on the market already. I would imagine a Becker folder to be something along the lines of a folding BK-7/BK-9. Same steel, same size, similar handle, overbuilt lock; something that we can carry in our packs to reduce panic among those sensitive hikers types, yet sturdy enough to use in place of a full size chopper. Packing something that folds down to 10" is easier than a 14-15" knife. If you want to make a folder, then make something worthy of the brand.

n2s
The 7 and 9 would be more than I want, but a slightly scaled down folding 2 or 10 would be a large folder that I’d be very interested in.

Truthfully, I imagine a BK folder to have a blade more akin to the BK16. Robust but far from approaching Cold Steel Espada size.
I’m picturing something like my CS SR1, only larger...and black. It’d be extreme, but I have $500 that says it would sell.

Kabar/Becker could then dial it back afterwards and offer folding models of their smaller fixed blades, but a monster folder (BK2 lockback) would draw attention, and people would definitely be looking forward to future models. ESEE never got the Izula folder on the market, and look how long people spent bitching about that.

*edit...add and autocorrect

Last edited:
I see the folder as splitting the difference between the sizes of the 14 and 16. Highly functional, and something I could EDC, not just throw in a camping pack or glovebox. 1095 cro-van blade with a sturdy lock. They could make it a second flagship of the brand behind the 9. They could draw the crowd in by offering unique color schemes. I would have to think this could be done and keep it American made under $80-90.
Want to draw in a more sophisticated crowd, offer a high end steel. Keep it American, give options, elevate your brand.

Beckerhead #32

Back