Coming this Spring - KA-BAR Becker BK40 Folder

Just no liner or framelocks please, ESEE/Expat tried that with a couple Taiwanese made folders (not complaining about steel choice or country of origin), and they were fine for work knives, but they were designed too slim IMO. A stout lockback would give us a handful of knife. My favorite is the Medellin, despite its slim handle, it’s like a folding 3.

Last edited:
Just no framelocks please, ESEE/Expat tried that with a couple Taiwanese made folders (not complaining about steel choice or country of origin), and they were fine for work knives, but they were designed too slim IMO. A stout backlock would give us a handful of knife. My favorite is the Medellin, despite its slim handle, it’s like a folding 3.

I would still love to see something like the old imperial that I posted above (post 63). These things had a 4 way locking mechanism.
1) a powerful slip joint spring
2) a huge heavy liner lock
3) a blade guard that would fold into the handle to hold the blade and liner lock in place
4) a latching system for the folding blade guard to hold it in the handle.

This one is sold, but lots of good pictures are still available.
https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-u-s-wwii-usaaf-imperial-folding-survival-machete-type-a-1

If you haven’t seen one of these try it. Probably one of the largest and sturdiest folders ever built.

n2s

Last edited:
I’m gonna go off the cuff a bit.

I always thought it would be cool to see a Becker/KaBar multi-tool.

Becker knives are synonymous with the outdoors and cooking. To have a tool in the same vein as a SAK or Leatherman that would compliment a BK9/BK16 combo makes sense to me.

I’m gonna go off the cuff a bit.

I always thought it would be cool to see a Becker/KaBar multi-tool.

Becker knives are synonymous with the outdoors and cooking. To have a tool in the same vein as a SAK or Leatherman that would compliment a BK9/BK16 combo makes sense to me.

Sounds like a great idea to me. A multitool made specifically for the backpackers camp kitchen type of leatherman. Fit with everything for cooking when youre camping without your whole camp kitchen.

it would be hard not to be gimmicky though. With a tiny garlic press, cheese grater, tomato core remover, etc...

Just no framelocks please, ESEE/Expat tried that with a couple Taiwanese made folders (not complaining about steel choice or country of origin), and they were fine for work knives, but they were designed too slim IMO. A stout lockback would give us a handful of knife. My favorite is the Medellin, despite its slim handle, it’s like a folding 3.
This right here is what should have been done. Esee did this successfully. KaBar could have taken the idea behind what Esee did and improved it with more Becker like attributes (back lock and tweener scales would accomplish this IMO). Make it in Taiwan with AUS8 or D2. Sell it to were you make money, like Esee did. No, the Esee folders are not the Izula folder we all wanted, but they have been successful and are far from the embarrassment Kabar currently has on the table here (get USA off the blade!)

I would still love to see something like the old imperial that I posted above (post 63). These things had a 4 way locking mechanism.
1) a powerful slip joint spring
2) a huge heavy liner lock
3) a blade guard that would fold into the handle to hold the blade and liner lock in place
4) a latching system for the folding blade guard to hold it in the handle.

This one is sold, but lots of good pictures are still available.
https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-u-s-wwii-usaaf-imperial-folding-survival-machete-type-a-1

If you haven’t seen one of these try it. Probably one of the largest and sturdiest folders ever built.

n2s
Sorry, but kabar clearly wants this folder to make money. No way that will happen with something so niche and out of the mainstream.

First off.....I know next to nothing about folders.
But, I picture a Becker folder to be an overbuilt, slightly clunky (in a good way) old school friction folder.

No fancy mechanisms, definitely not delicate.

cold reception, uh? the knife is not even out and it's already tarred and feathered... people are willing to drop hundreds on Reate and We chinese made knives, and Kabar has had folders coming from China for quite some time; we could cut some slack until it arrives and not assume it is a complete turd. And the tag hovering in the 30 ish range? I know I will try it. Agree on the branding, should have kept USA out of it like they have done with their g10 folders.

cold reception, uh? the knife is not even out and it's already tarred and feathered... people are willing to drop hundreds on Reate and We chinese made knives, and Kabar has had folders coming from China for quite some time; we could cut some slack until it arrives and not assume it is a complete turd. And the tag hovering in the 30 ish range? I know I will try it. Agree on the branding, should have kept USA out of it like they have done with their g10 folders.

While I like your open-mindedness and really appreciate your willingness to look at it objectively, a Becker knife is more than just a sharp edge to cut stuff. The brand has more value than that--It's known to be American made with American quality and designed by a great person in Ethan. Good knives come from China, hell even GREAT knives come from China, and if we are looking at this situation with a sterile view, we would know that $30 will most likely prove to be good value for the product--it won't be a turd. It's not a "USA -good / China -bad" thing although it's easy to take it there with China's recent behaviors. We want reasons to stay brand loyal. Moving away from the brand value doesn't keep brand loyalty--but all of this is only my opinion.

We want what's best for Kabar, Becker knives, and Ethan. A heavily anticipated folder made in China at a $30 price point may bring in new buyers to Kabar, but why stay with Becker and Kabar if it's perceived that this is what you get--Cheap Chinese knives? How does that keep the new found buyers? For those looking to buy a first new knife, why take a risk on that when they can buy Kershaw, SOG, and Gerber at the same price point that are found everywhere? You most likely won't find these at the big box stores to help push it either. What's the mousetrap... price? Just not the Kabar and Becker we have grown to love.

Beckerhead #32

I definitely get it, bush. Been a Beckerhead for many years and appreciate them for more than the excellent quality knives that they are. Did Kabar made a faux-pass and fumbled this ball? probably. I'll just give it a chance, since I like how it looks and won't hurt my pocket. I know they are reading all this and wouldn't be surprised if something better follows this first try.

I definitely get it, bush. Been a Beckerhead for many years and appreciate them for more than the excellent quality knives that they are. Did Kabar made a faux-pass and fumbled this ball? probably. I'll just give it a chance, since I like how it looks and won't hurt my pocket. I know they are reading all this and wouldn't be surprised if something better follows this first try.

We all kinda agree with what you are saying....BUT

Isn't buying one condoning it being made There?
We love the Brand.
It won't be expensive. I can afford it.

I Won't be buying one.

The clip set-up on those looks suspiciously like Spyderco's wire clips (see better pix on the other thread).

I just brought this up in another thread, I think the better move for kabar would have been to give this becker folder the dozer treatment. Make it in Taiwan, charge a little more, offer D2, and a back lock! I get that a USA folder might not be feasible but other companies like Esee and Ontario have done what Kabar themselves have also done (with the Dozer) and bring a quality folder to market that honors their company name without resorting to the lowest price point manufacturing.

Most importantly, don't put "Becker" with "USA" on the front of the blade and another country name on the back. I don't really care where it is made, but doing that is embarrassing.

This in spades. An AUS8 liner lock made in PRC? I can hardly believe Mr. Becker signed off on this.

welll...this is not a new issue. Remember the Ontario-ESEE split (before they were even called ESEE)? Maybe not the whole reason, but greatly catalyzed by the Rat-1 (which, ironically, has become a benchmark folder by it's own merits - and with AUS8 steel) being made overseas. And ESEE stuck to their US made knives - until it was time to come out with a folder, and they took the same route Ontario did before the split. I won't tell you what you should or should not buy; I just look at this move as being the same move done by ESEE and reserve judgement until I have it in hand (btw, I don't have any of their folders, not because they aren't US - made, but because I don't like how they look). I don't think it is an easy move for a company that farms out their folder production to step up to the current US offerings without testing reception first.

Really curious to read Uncle E's opinion on this issue.

*Snark/ With Ethan being way out in the Country, now...…. He might not even Know that kabar even did This? haha ;)

-Interesting to note that there Hasn't been any talk yet in the Kabar subforum?

I'm sure he knows, but is it possible Ka-Bar has purchased the rights to the Becker brand so that Mr. Becker has no say in any of this any longer?

Zieg

Seems like an answer to the RAT-1, which I feel still might be a better option. With everything going on I'm being more conscious of where the things I buy are made, and it has nothing to do with quality.

I don't have a problem with AUS8; it's OK at edge holding and easy to sharpen - I can live with that. In fact, I have a bunch of AUS8 folders and never felt really lacking in any of them - especially at the price point. I have a good amount of Taiwanese knives from various companies and they pretty much all serve me very well - especially, again, at their price point. I have Chinese products in my home and shop; I suspect we all do. I try to make an effort to avoid Chinese products for a variety of reasons.

I like Ka-Bar and I really like Becker Knives. I may purchase one of these - just because; but let's just say I won't be like a little boy waiting by the mailbox like I was for the NK62, BK18 or, just about any of the Beckers I purchased over the years.

Back